BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since we are in recollection mode, please pick one trip that had a particularly compelling itinerary and give a brief report, with a photo or two if possible.

I'll be back with mine soon, although most of you already know how it starts :angel:

:roundel: :roundel: :roundel:

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,715 Posts
Munich - Prague - Bratislava - Budapest - Berchtesgaden - Munich

About 1,100 miles over 10 days. All of my previous ED's had been shorter both in distance and time. I decided I wanted to make a big trip out of this one and get to a few cities I hadn't been to yet. Also finally after a bunch of times in Europe I made it up to the Eagle's Nest. It was admittedly a bit of an underwhelming experience as it was totally fogged in.

Went to wash the car.

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The very first customer delivery at the BMW Welt
16 Days. 9 Cities. 5 Countries.

As the first customer to take delivery at the BMW Welt, I was first invited to attend the Festakt, the opening celebrations, the prior week. What an over the top celebration that was. Since I didn't have my car yet, BMW lent me a 5er so I could go to Vienna for a few days. I came back in time for the BMW Welt Tag der öffenen Tür which is where I met my good friend Christian Stampfer for the first time in person (we originally met through the Fest, he lives outside Munich).

Then came 23.10.2007. Opening day. Rolf picked me up extra early and he was my guest for the delivery. (I think he had almost as much fun as i did.) I didn't want to miss a thing. I walked up the bridge to the BMW Welt shortly before dawn, it was a beautiful sight, albeit rainy. As I entered, one of the managers of the BMW Welt greeted me and thanked me for being the first customer.

I gave a few interviews to German reporters who were there. And then it was time for me - me - to be briefed on the vehicle in the high-tech briefing center and then walk down the Hollywood Staircase. I should note that, even when I was at the opening the week before, it wasn't the first time I was at the Welt. I was there twice during construction and I had my Foto taken at the very spot which is now the bottom step of that staircase.

As for my itinerary (Reiseplan), I had decided to head to Hamburg and left directly from the BMW Welt. I remember there was a lot of traffic near Würzburg, and I recall being quite tired when I got to the hotel, the Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten. I still miss the Consommé double royal soup, which came with veal dumplings and vegetable stripes as well as the sushi-grade tuna fish in a mustard seed marinade.

I explored Hamburg and did three different harbor tours, a tour guide from the city's tourist bureau was kind enough to give me a half-day walking tour, and I took a day trip to Sønderborg.

From Hamburg I headed to Brugge via Düsseldorf and then to Bremen and Bremerhaven, where I got to see how cars were loaded onto ships destined for the States. I've dropped off my cars twice now at the harbor and - if you're not seeing your car off at the port - you are missing something from the E.D. experience.

SUMMARY

Hotels: Mandarin Oriental, München; Hilton am Stadtpark, Wien; Holiday Inn Munich, Schwabing; Fairmont Vier Jahreszeiten, Hamburg; Die Swaene, Brugge, Belgium; Park Hotel Bremen.

Cities and Countries: Munich, Vienna, Munich (again), Hamburg, Flensburg, Sønderborg, Brugge, Düsseldorf, Bremen, and Bremerhaven.*

Countries (in alpha order) Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands

Distance driven: 3,300 km (2,500 km in the 550i after taking delivery)

FOTOS

My official portrait as Customer Nr. 1

Here I am with the U.S. and Munich E.D. Team Members

Rolf Raffelsieper signing the BMW Welt guest book

Here is where your car is stored in the BMW Welt before the robots retrieve it

Here I am doing the paperwork

And turning over the first Bimmerfest Sign-In Book for the BMW Welt

Getting a gift from the manager of the BMW Welt

Rolf seemed to have truly enjoyed himself at the party the night before, as my guest

The living room in my suite at the Park Hotel Bremen

This is how cars are shipped

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else have great photos of their most memorable ED they wish to share ?

·
Retired Official Welcomer
2021 X5 M50i Mineral White w/DHP/DAP/DAPP/PAP/EP/Bowers&Wilkins/Ext Merino Leather/Glass Controls
8,500 Posts
Here's our ED adventure from 9/2014 on my long departed YMB M4. I currently have a SS F82 Competition.

Attachments

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
1997 540-6: Frankfurter Ring delivery > Asolo IT, Bellagio IT, Barcelona ES, Biarritz FR, Nantes FR, Orleans FR, Paris FR, London UK, Bath UK, Dublin EI, Kinsale EI, London drop -off. About an 8 week trip. Driving the wide e39 540-6 on narrow Italian city streets and Irish country roads was memorable! Wow, that was 24 years ago! I'm very confident BMW ED will return someday.

The 2001 M5 that caught fire in front of the Main Gate of US Army Garrison in GP 3 hours after Freimann delivery, being detained by the Polizei and Bundesnachrichtendienst was also quite memorable...but in a different manner. After 17 ED's, all were memorable in some respect but the details can't always be tied to a specific trip. Failing memory I guess.

Reactions: MB330 and JSpira

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
1997 540-6: Frankfurter Ring delivery > Asolo IT, Bellagio IT, Barcelona ES, Biarritz FR, Nantes FR, Orleans FR, Paris FR, London UK, Bath UK, Dublin EI, Kinsale EI, London drop -off. About an 8 week trip. Driving the wide e39 540-6 on narrow Italian city streets and Irish country roads was memorable! Wow, that was 24 years ago! I'm very confident BMW ED will return someday.

The 2001 M5 that caught fire in front of the Main Gate of US Army Garrison in GP 3 hours after Freimann delivery, being detained by the Polizei and Bundesnachrichtendienst was also quite memorable...but in a different manner. After 17 ED's, all were memorable in some respect but the details can't always be tied to a specific trip. Failing memory I guess.
Munich 2 days + 14 days with car + 3 days in Madrid after drop off.
Munich-Zurich-Lucerne-Lake Como-Milan-Varazze-Monte Carlo-Villefranche-sur-Mer-Nice-Cannes-St. Tropez-Nimes-Barcelona-Sitges-Castellón de la Plana-Madrid-Toledo-Segovia-Madrid drp off

Reactions: jlukja

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen that instrument cluster and map before!

• Haha
Reactions: MB330

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a few reposes, albeit truly great ones? With the depth and breadth of experience here there must be more

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Here's my latest, but hopefully not the last, European Delivery. Sadly I stopped buying BMWs 2 years ago but if ED returns...

If you make it through the first page of my overly detailed blog, you can continue by clicking the "next entry" button toward the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here's my latest, but hopefully not the last, European Delivery. Sadly I stopped buying BMWs 2 years ago but if ED returns...

If you make it through the first page of my overly detailed blog, you can continue by clicking the "next entry" button toward the bottom of the page.

Hear-Hear!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Your trip reports were always along the most interesting and fully documented in the history of this forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,797 Posts
I have only done European Delivery twice. I don't feel it's wise to travel to Germany safety because of the pandemic. My own estimates are that it may reach my level of comfort in 2024. Luckily, I don't see myself buying a new car in 2022 or 2023.

Both European Deliveries were rushed for me. The first one, I had a week of using the car. It was great! The second one, I picked up the car on a Saturday and returned it on Monday, flying home the same day. That was sweet despite its short length. I urge others to take advantage of situations in life and not wait for large blocks of time. The second European Delivery was just seeing the Munich area, albeit in the suburbs because parking is easier and having a car adds value to a trip. It's just like in the US where a car is added trouble if you are in Manhattan or Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco but very useful if you are in Long Island or outside of San Francisco.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts