BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non-sport, no DHP/DDE 2011 535xi w/ 205 8AT transmission option. I have no "comfort/sport" switch, no eco pro, no steering wheel paddles (yet).

I've read a number of threads on coding 205 to 2TB for various reasons, including enabling paddle shift, enabling sport or sport+ mode, S1/S2/S3 display on KOMBI etc... I would like to retrofit a better steering wheel and would probably get paddles, but right now the cost is prohibitive since I have the non-sport, heated wheel and would need an airbag in addition to a more costly wheel to keep the heat.

What I haven't found is any concrete information on what, if anything, this option might get someone without any sport/comfort settings and without a paddle shift retrofit. Is there anything? Any change in actual shift programming at all? I'm all for firm, fast shifts most of the time, and would prefer a "D" program that was somewhere between the factory D and DS.

What all is coding 2TB going to change? Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I actually did the opposite with my car. Replaced 2tb with 205 in an attempt to get smoother shifts. In DS mode when shifting manually it is smoother - with 2tb the car would jerk. So if you're after faster (but jerkier) shifts then yes I think it does make a difference.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing changes other than the S1/S2/S3 etc would be displayed.
So, then perhaps the real question oft debated - is the SAT actually any different than the standard AT? Or is it just a matter that the differences cannot be activated by coding alone? Has anyone observed whether a different firmware file is used on SAT-equipped EGS?

I actually did the opposite with my car. Replaced 2tb with 205 in an attempt to get smoother shifts. In DS mode when shifting manually it is smoother - with 2tb the car would jerk. So if you're after faster (but jerkier) shifts then yes I think it does make a difference.
Did you switch it back to 2TB afterwards and observe the return to jerky shifts? I'm just wondering if the coding actually reset adaptations as part of the process and that's actually what you noticed. (meaning the 2TB change actually did nothing)

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
So, then perhaps the real question oft debated - is the SAT actually any different than the standard AT? Or is it just a matter that the differences cannot be activated by coding alone? Has anyone observed whether a different firmware file is used on SAT-equipped EGS?

Did you switch it back to 2TB afterwards and observe the return to jerky shifts? I'm just wondering if the coding actually reset adaptations as part of the process and that's actually what you noticed. (meaning the 2TB change actually did nothing)
Hmm- that's possible. I never did switch it back.

What id really like to try is flashing my EGS with the 550 firmware. I'd really prefer the car start in 2nd instead of 1st for smoother driving. Doesn't seem possible just by coding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.