BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From New York (Long Island) to Dallas / Fort Worth? :)

I have an 06 MZ4 Roadster and my wife drives an X5, but I wanted a car I could actually get greasy with. None of that pesky dealer maintenance! So I found a nice little 91 318is in NY on Craigslist and bought it after a quick Carfax check (1 hour after the guy listed it!)

SO I'm going to fly up in a week and pick it up and drive it home over two days.

I'll be bringing hose clamps, zip ties, duct tape, metric wrenches and standard tools. I'll also have fresh oil in it and MAYBE even stick a set of Falken Azenis on it before I leave NY. I'll check hoses and belts and fluid levels.

The car has 130k on it and looks really clean inside. A few dings out side but overall very nice.

What would you guys add to my list of must haves to ensure I get from point A to B 1600 miles away?

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Adam

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
just do a basic run over the simple major components (spark plugs, cap, rotor, fluids, change fuel filter, check air filter, etc), and do a compression test! other than that, check the alternator for a good charge, and also check the battery and terminals.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... I don't think I'll be able to squeeze a compression test in before leaving, but if it doesn't smoke I won't worry too much about it. I'll definitely check everything else on the list before I hit the road. I'm looking forward to my first e30 though!

Thanks,
Adam

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Thanks... I don't think I'll be able to squeeze a compression test in before leaving, but if it doesn't smoke I won't worry too much about it. I'll definitely check everything else on the list before I hit the road. I'm looking forward to my first e30 though!

Thanks,
Adam
The only thing I can add is to start the car, disconnect the battery, and make sure she runs well on alternator power.

Oh, and turn on the AC and let her idle for 10 minutes. The temp gage shouldn't go past the half mark.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Thanks guys... I made it home :) 1700 miles, 25 hours - and with no inspection sticker, registration or PLATES. It was smokey and the bandit time but it all worked out.

Car's in great shape, interior is 9.5/10 easy and the exterior is nice. Title and Carfax shows 1 owner. It's definitely a little corroded underneath from being up North so many years. I went to have it inspected and the guy couldn't get a reading due to 'low flow' out the muffler from an exhaust leak. I took it to a seriously nice place here near Fort Worth and had a full new system put on from the manifold back and it passed emissions on the first try with flying colors. As a matter of fact the guy said it was cleaner than most 2-3 year old cars he's seen.

So now I just have to find someone to help me with suspension and I'm money!

Adam

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice find on the 318. Long drive for fist outing. Bilstien sports and [email protected] springs. Should do the trick. I just pulled my M42 out of my 318 last Sat. and will be installing an M50 Vanos with ZF 5 speed next week. I am waiting on a couple of items for the swap on the fun begins. Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I remember seeing that car on CL or some other search engine. I'm glad to see it went to an enthusiast! I sometimes wonder about flying west to pick up a rust free e30. You should have taken some photos along the way to document your trip. Good luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! The control arms are shot and shocks are gone, so it's at a local Bavarian shop getting those things done. Otherwise it's a great little car. No leaks, engine is strong at 130k, everything inside works great (power windows are strong, AC is cold, etc) I'm looking forward to having some fun with it.

It did fail emissions due to 'low flow' and they couldn't get a reading... which meant exhaust leak (I already new about it, you could hear it) but after a new exhaust from the manifold back (magnaflow cat, muffler, nice pipes) it passed with flying colors.

I'll post some pictures once in a few days when I get it back with the new suspension!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts