BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What would you do if you lived in New England

• Order a 2013 550 M-Sport X Drive and a Ducati 1199 Panigale

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Order a 2013 M5

Votes: 5 27.8%

What would you do if you lived in New England

1153 12
I am debating what to do in the spring. I have 2 ideas and I was looking for some input. Things to consider. I will only have one car so it will be a daily driver. I also live in New England so I will be driving in the snow.

Option 1 order a 2013 M5 for Euro delivery in the spring drive it year round.

Option 2 Order a 2013 550 M-Sport Xdrive and a 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S. The 550 will be great for New England and bike will be the go fast toy. Not that the 550 is slow by any means.But the bike will sit in the garage all winter and not be used.

Opinions????
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Option 2: but consider just adding the full Dinan package to the 550xi and have a pseudo-M5 xi.
Hi, neighbor. Massachusetts here.

During the time I had my two V8 E39s (540i/6 and M5), I also had a pair of VW GTIs. I ran winter tires on the Bimmers, and the all-season tires year round on the Dubs. In REALLY bad weather (especially if slippery), I left the GTI on the driveway and took the Bimmer. (Admittedly, winter tires helped.) But, the RWD cars were less likely to skid, the skids were less dramatic, and the cars were easier to get back under control.

My counsel -- get the M5, invest in a set of winter rims/tires, and enjoy the hell out of your European delivery. FWIW, I did mine a year ago. Many highlights, including two laps on the Nurburgring, and visiting TWO BMW factories. The Munich plant is across the street from the Weld, so that's easy. My F10 is my fifth car assembled at Dingolfing, so I wanted to see that, too. The place is HUGE. And it's a delightful drive from Munich.
550 , but get Dinan upgrades as well, which I can't...sigh...

Keep the Ducati for when you really need to scare they heck out of someone.
I think my GF is in favor of the M5...
Smart GF!!
That may be bias though unless she will enjoy the Ducati too :)

I would get the M5 in a heart beat.
Fast cars are a blast to drive, but nothing compares to a motorcycle. You really shouldn't count any of the votes from non motorcycle owners as they haven't experienced the absolute thrill of leaning over in a nice curve at 80 MPH. A fast "cage" is still a cage, it cuts you off from many of the extra thrills and sensations you get from sport motorcycling. Option 2 would be my recommendation, or better yet, choose Option 3 - get the M5 and the Ducati!
+1

The M5 will be boring compared to the Ducati. If the GF doesn't like the stock 550, she can always get you a Dinan tune for Christmas. ;)
Fast cars are a blast to drive, but nothing compares to a motorcycle. You really shouldn't count any of the votes from non motorcycle owners as they haven't experienced the absolute thrill of leaning over in a nice curve at 80 MPH. A fast "cage" is still a cage, it cuts you off from many of the extra thrills and sensations you get from sport motorcycling. Option 2 would be my recommendation, or better yet, choose Option 3 - get the M5 and the Ducati!
Reconsidering RWD myself vs staying with a AWD in Cleveland. As the instructors at the BMW school told me, once you let off the gas they all behave the same. Thus, AWD is great for get up an go but the braking, skidding, stopping etc is the same. A RWD with snows probably would cut it. I know of a guy who went from a RL to a CTS-V with snows and he felt it was ok.
Since the roads up here in Mass/RI suck and they don't plow properly, an M5 with snows will go no where. Get a 550xi, Dinan it, and the Ducati. or get the new Audi S6, which should be out soon. It is a good deal faster than the 550xi.
I loved my sport bike, and both options sound good. Did you consider m5 for now and getting a cheap suv or a Subaru for the winter?
I'd love to get a beater for the winter. But where we live now we only have 2 spots for parking. One for me and one for my GF. we'll be buying a house not too long from now when she finishes nursing school. So she wont let me get an M5 and the Ducati. doesn't mean I wont keep trying for the two thought lmfao.
I loved my sport bike, and both options sound good. Did you consider m5 for now and getting a cheap suv or a Subaru for the winter?
Well, when I had my 135i it was great but the absolute worst for the winter. I would take my gf car to get around; I really felt stranded. If you go with the M5 just hope for another mild winter and equip some winter tires. Otherwise a 550xi with Dinan upgrades is your best bet.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.