BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
ZHPper
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario: I'm getting a new roof on my house so wife's new Saturn VUE and my new 330ci are parked across the street in a neighbor's driveway. Her neighbor (Lawyer/Honda driver) is out playing hardball in his front yard with his 3 kids. Baseballs are going everywhere and very close to the cars...so I go over and politely explain that he's got $65,000 worth of backstops sitting next door and could they please lay off baseball for a couple of days till my roofers are finished. You got it...he goe's off on ME about his kids can do anything in their yard they want to and he'll fix my car if they damage it (Yeah, right). I just walked away, but it wasn't what I wanted to do! The next day I saw one of his brats put a nice curve ball into the side of his TL...hope he's good for that damage too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I´d put up a video camera (in plain view) and have it running anytime the kids play ball. No arguements later...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I coach little league ball and can't get enough of the game, provided the players are not getting paid anything more than $200k a year. That keeps me away from the major league games, which suits me just fine. I much more enjoy watching AAA and below, or better yet, enjoy playing myself.

So given your dilema, I would either move the cars, or more likely, would have joined their game and played whatever position was closet to the cars and made sure nothing got by me.

·
ZHPper
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, every reply so far (Except for one) was pretty stupid. Has everyone in this country lost their mind? I was on somebody elses property and it seems like some posters think it was ok to bounce baseballs off my cars! But people let jerks get away with stuff like this and don't do anything about it...THAT'S the sad part and a lot of what's wrong with this country in general.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
woody underwood said:
Well, every reply so far (Except for one) was pretty stupid. Has everyone in this country lost their mind? I was on somebody elses property and it seems like some posters think it was ok to bounce baseballs off my cars!
No, it's not ok. But you are going to get nowhere with that guy. Your best bet is to protect your own property rather rely on on someone else. Is it right.... no. Is it prudent... Yes!

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
operknockity said:
No, it's not ok. But you are going to get nowhere with that guy. Your best bet is to protect your own property rather rely on on someone else. Is it right.... no. Is it prudent... Yes!
The problem with the legal system is nothing can be done UNTIL the damage is done, and the lawyer knew it. Sometimes its better to retreat than fight, even when right (think dealing with your wife). I would have moved my car.

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
I'd have moved my cars. Unless and until my property was damaged, I would not expect neighbors to stop enjoying their property.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Agree with the majority...pick and choose your battles, there's enough to choose from, best to prevent any you can.

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
woody underwood said:
Well, every reply so far (Except for one) was pretty stupid. Has everyone in this country lost their mind? I was on somebody elses property and it seems like some posters think it was ok to bounce baseballs off my cars! But people let jerks get away with stuff like this and don't do anything about it...THAT'S the sad part and a lot of what's wrong with this country in general.
Sorry, but I must disagree.

What's wrong with the legal system in this country is that it supports preventing activities on one's own property that just MIGHT produce harm to others (or even to themselves!).

They were playing baseball, fer gosh sakes, NOT (by your own description) "bounce[ing] baseballs off [your] cars." Sure, a ball could possibly have hit your property; if it were to have done so you would have a legitimate complaint and any honourable person would pay to have your property repaired or replaced. But stopping someone from participating in an activity just because it MIGHT cause damage to you IF IT GOES WRONG is just too bloody selfish for this mind to conceive.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Smith, you will no longer be allowed to use a gas range since natural gas is explosive and may harm your neighbours if your range suffers a malfunction. This is all for your own good, of course."

The world is NOT a safe place. Learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Sorry, but I must disagree.

What's wrong with the legal system in this country is that it supports preventing activities on one's own property that just MIGHT produce harm to others (or even to themselves!).

They were playing baseball, fer gosh sakes, NOT (by your own description) "bounce[ing] baseballs off [your] cars." Sure, a ball could possibly have hit your property; if it were to have done so you would have a legitimate complaint and any honourable person would pay to have your property repaired or replaced. But stopping someone from participating in an activity just because it MIGHT cause damage to you IF IT GOES WRONG is just too bloody selfish for this mind to conceive.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Smith, you will no longer be allowed to use a gas range since natural gas is explosive and may harm your neighbours if your range suffers a malfunction. This is all for your own good, of course."

The world is NOT a safe place. Learn to deal with it.
There should have been no confrontation necessary. Simply move your vehicles. The other person has as much right to do whatever he prefers, in this case, play baseball, just as you have the right to protect your property. You violated his freedom the moment you asked him to cease from his activity, because of a potential threat to your vehicles, which you had located in a nearby area, off his property.
Frankly, I would have responded to you, by saying if you're concerned about your vehicles, I suggest you move them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just move your cars man. I didn't think much of it at first, but it kind of sucks how you asked the kids to stop playing.

And why is the kid a brat because his dad's car got hit? Even if you move your cars, that brat just might hit one of those curve balls onto your roof.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
WEll I agree with both parties. He wasn't wrong to ask his neighbor if he could have them play ball elsewhere for a day or two. It sure would have been nice if the neighbor, as a courtesty would have said "sure - let me see what I can do". After all he was already being inconvenienced by housing the cars. It's like if you had guests staying over, and the kids were shooting toy guns that flung darts around, and the darts were hitting your guests, wouldn't you tell the kids to A)stop shooting while the guests were there or B) keep playing but go to another room?

However if the neighbor doesn't want to have his kids stop playing, that's understandable. If that's the case, you have to evalute whether or not to risk leaving the cars there, and if somethign does get damaged having the guy pay for it, or if you should simply move the cars elsewhere (note this could cause some resentment by your neighbor too). "What my house is n't good enough for your [email protected]#$in cars"? lol.

Tought situation

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
If I followed the original post correctly, the cars were parked on a neighbour's driveway (across the street from the poster). The baseball game was at the house of that neighbour's next-door neighbour.

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
They're just kids having fun.

How hard would it have been to just park your cars down the street?

This isn't meant to flame you, but i'm going to guess that you don't have kids.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
If I followed the original post correctly, the cars were parked on a neighbour's driveway (across the street from the poster). The baseball game was at the house of that neighbour's next-door neighbour.
Correct...as I understood the original post, the vehicles were NOT at the neighbors house the kids were playing ball, they were parked in another neighbors driveway, nearby.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How about a little consideration for thy neighbors to start with...

I would never do anything on my own property that might cause damage to my neighbors property.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Move cars away until they finish playing... after all, that's not your house's front yard nor it's your driveway. :confused:

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
The control one has of such a situation is:

1. move the cars to a safer location
2. voice a concern such as "Please be careful not to hit my cars. Thank you. Repairs could be very expensive."
3. legal recourse when damage occurs
4. hope for the best

Unpleasantries between neighbors sucks.

I had a neighbor who once started mowing the lawn as I was washing my car in my driveway. As I was about to start waxing, he began using a leaf blower to blow the clippings away. Before I let the dust settle, I moved my car to the garage, dusted it off, and waxed it there. I made a mental note of his incosideration (and possible passive hostility) and that should he ever need anything from me, that I'll be sure to kindly tell him to kiss my ass first.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts