1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am going to buy a X3 xDrive30e.

I plan to pay cash.

I plan to wait for the factory to build it to my configuration which may take a while.

Total Price MSRP for my build is: $55,900.

I'm not looking to squeeze every last nickle out of the dealer.

What's a fair offer price?

·
Registered
211 Posts
First a "cash" deal means nothing to a dealer. In fact you should check out the BMW finance offers. In February BMW offered a 60 mo finance deal at 3.99% and gave a $2,500 rebate off the MSRP.... I took it and paid off the balance 30 days later. I also got another $1,500 rebate because we had a Mini Cooper in the household. In addition to all of the above the dealer took another $6,000 off the MSRP just because that was his discount.......so all in all I got $10,000 off my (ordered) 2020 X3 which had an MSRP of $49,990.
Btw..... I also got another $5,500 for my 7 yr old Nissan Altima with 110M miles.

Hope that helps......bottom line..... even without any rebates I would guess that 10 to 13% off MSRP is reasonable at a minimum.

·
Registered
666 Posts
First a "cash" deal means nothing to a dealer. In fact you should check out the BMW finance offers. In February BMW offered a 60 mo finance deal at 3.99% and gave a $2,500 rebate off the MSRP.... I took it and paid off the balance 30 days later. I also got another $1,500 rebate because we had a Mini Cooper in the household. In addition to all of the above the dealer took another $6,000 off the MSRP just because that was his discount.......so all in all I got $10,000 off my (ordered) 2020 X3 which had an MSRP of $49,990.
Btw..... I also got another $5,500 for my 7 yr old Nissan Altima with 110M miles.

Hope that helps......bottom line..... even without any rebates I would guess that 10 to 13% off MSRP is reasonable at a minimum.
Good advice Rob!:thumbup: I did the same when we bought my wife's 19 X3 30i in 9/18.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great help. Thanks guys.

So I bought and own a 2017 X3 currently and may trade it in. Not sure yet.

Would this be an appropriate offer?

MSRP: 55,900
Offer 10% off. 50,310
Loyalty Rebate Offer with financing: ($1,500) = $48,810

·
Registered
211 Posts
MarkR37......
I've never made "an offer to buy" a car....but I have "negotiated" after the dealer told me what they wanted to sell the car for. I WOULD NEVER make an "offer" FIRST! However, I do always have a maximum number in mind before I walk into the dealership.

Check all of your local rebates, incentives, finance offers, interest rates, trade value (if you have a trade) etc etc BEFORE you go. (they change almost every 1st of each month)

Personally, from my experiences, 10% off the sticker's bottom line on a BMW would be the LEAST I would accept. Remember the most powerful "tactic" you have is to use your feet.....by that I mean, NEVER BE AFRAID TO GET UP AND WALK. You can always come back or they could always call you back or you can always go elsewhere.

·
Registered
159 Posts
All good advice. NEVER answer the questions "How much were you looking to spend?" or "What monthly payment did you have in mind?" EVER. Always remember they WANT to the sell the car MORE than you want to buy it. They LOVE people that gush over a car and obviously just HAVE to have it. Don't be that guy, ESPECIALLY now when all the dealers are hurting in sales big time. I would wait and see what they tell you their best price is, and make sure YOU ask about the rebates and offers. They rarely volunteer them.

A tactic I've use, and did this time, is to take up a lot of the salesman's time. I'm retired, so I can spend all day there, makes no nevermind to me. Get HIM (or her) invested in you, so a sale becomes more important to them. When I bought my 2019 X3 xdrive 30i (off the lot) I started out by looking at the X1, (which I never intended to buy, as I already have a 2016 Clubman and it is literally the same floorpan/chassis with a more powerful engine, barely).. After a test drive, I told the salesman it was not for me and I let the salesman know it was too small and under powered, but X3's were out of my price range. Of course, he HAD to have me drive one and said, if we could agree on a price, would I be interested? OF course. We went at it for like 3 hours. I always said the price was too high, "After all I was looking at an X1 kind of price!" I was waiting for the sales manager to step in and say those magic words,,"What would it take to get you to buy this today?" Then I hit them with my dream price, which I knew was too low. Do not be afraid to embarrass yourself or "hurt their feelings". They came back with a scant $500 more than my dream price, which was about $14k lower than the original asking price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you are going to order a new vehicle and have no trade-in, the pricing process could be very simple. You are buying a well-defined product (a vehicle with specific options) that is sold by hundreds of dealerships in the US. Just narrow it down to a few dealerships that are near you and ask for their best price for your specific configuration. Make it clear that you definitely plan to buy - do they want the sale!! There is no need to visit the dealership now, since at this point you can't see your car anyway. I would also ask them to provide no-contact delivery, where you will never have to sit in the dealership and wait on anyone.

Many folks seem to enjoy spending time at the dealership and having the satisfaction that they got the best deal. However, all that time at the dealership is "your" time that is not available for anything else, so its up to you. All the sales folks work there and have to stay at work anyway. You are not taking up their time at all. They like to keep you waiting because they assume that at some point your patience will give out before theirs and you will close the deal.

When I bought my current BMW I visited the dealershp and picked out my new car, and did a test drive while they estimated the value of my trade-in. Once I got home and decided it was the right deal, they delivered it to my house and picked up my trade-in. All paperwork was filled out in advance. I spent zero time sitting in an office in the dealership. That's my preference. YMMV.

Bruce

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
641 Posts
Dealers make $$$$ in the Finance room so it is best to negotiate the price without telling them you plan to pay cash. Get the price in writing then you can just decline the financing when you go to sign the paperwork.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dealers make $$$$ in the Finance room so it is best to negotiate the price without telling them you plan to pay cash. Get the price in writing then you can just decline the financing when you go to sign the paperwork.

Agree, unless BMWFS is throwing in some free money for financing, then take the $$ as part of the deal, sign the finance contract and pay it off on the first payment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In my case I took advantage of their February financing "rebate" deal. I agreed to finance through BMW at a rate of 3.99% for 60 months........BUT, in return, I got a $2,500 "rebate" off the car's price from BMW. The interest rate and terms of the loan didn't matter to me since I had always planned to pay it off within 30 days anyway. (In Illinois, as in most other states there is no "pre-payment penalty").

So rather than paying cash up front I financed for less than 30 days and got $2,500 off the car.

(FYI...because it's called a "rebate" and not a "discount" it's not sales tax exempt, but it's still a significant savings)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I did the same thing when we bought our G01. The dealership kept repeating "you can pay it off after 3 payments" (nothing in writing) but I paid it off right after the first one.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you are going to order a new vehicle and have no trade-in, the pricing process could be very simple. You are buying a well-defined product (a vehicle with specific options) that is sold by hundreds of dealerships in the US. Just narrow it down to a few dealerships that are near you and ask for their best price for your specific configuration. Make it clear that you definitely plan to buy - do they want the sale!! There is no need to visit the dealership now, since at this point you can't see your car anyway. I would also ask them to provide no-contact delivery, where you will never have to sit in the dealership and wait on anyone.

Many folks seem to enjoy spending time at the dealership and having the satisfaction that they got the best deal. However, all that time at the dealership is "your" time that is not available for anything else, so its up to you. All the sales folks work there and have to stay at work anyway. You are not taking up their time at all. They like to keep you waiting because they assume that at some point your patience will give out before theirs and you will close the deal.

When I bought my current BMW I visited the dealershp and picked out my new car, and did a test drive while they estimated the value of my trade-in. Once I got home and decided it was the right deal, they delivered it to my house and picked up my trade-in. All paperwork was filled out in advance. I spent zero time sitting in an office in the dealership. That's my preference. YMMV.

Bruce
Carlson, I like the no-contact delivery idea. I haven't tried it but next time I will and I'll think of you!:p My time is way to valuable to jerk around in an auto store after the deal is done!:thumbup:

·
Registered
666 Posts
When you decline the financing you're going to miss out on the $2,500 or so credit that they will give you to finance it. :eek: My advice, take the financing, it's very cheap now and then pay it off after the 3rd payment so it doesn't get charged back to the dealership. :p Just a courtesy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Incentives change EVERY month so it's impossible to predict the future. Keep in mind that the X3 is one of their biggest sellers, so demand is high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Incentives change EVERY month so it's impossible to predict the future. Keep in mind that the X3 is one of their biggest sellers, so demand is high.
True - I realize that. I was just inquiring about general pricing and incentives after new year model release. You are right that incentives change on a nearly daily basis. Just since my last visit to BMW dealership 5 days ago - I was offered $500 discount for local dealership, then 2 days later another $1K incentive.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts