Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
All good advice. NEVER answer the questions "How much were you looking to spend?" or "What monthly payment did you have in mind?" EVER. Always remember they WANT to the sell the car MORE than you want to buy it. They LOVE people that gush over a car and obviously just HAVE to have it. Don't be that guy, ESPECIALLY now when all the dealers are hurting in sales big time. I would wait and see what they tell you their best price is, and make sure YOU ask about the rebates and offers. They rarely volunteer them.

A tactic I've use, and did this time, is to take up a lot of the salesman's time. I'm retired, so I can spend all day there, makes no nevermind to me. Get HIM (or her) invested in you, so a sale becomes more important to them. When I bought my 2019 X3 xdrive 30i (off the lot) I started out by looking at the X1, (which I never intended to buy, as I already have a 2016 Clubman and it is literally the same floorpan/chassis with a more powerful engine, barely).. After a test drive, I told the salesman it was not for me and I let the salesman know it was too small and under powered, but X3's were out of my price range. Of course, he HAD to have me drive one and said, if we could agree on a price, would I be interested? OF course. We went at it for like 3 hours. I always said the price was too high, "After all I was looking at an X1 kind of price!" I was waiting for the sales manager to step in and say those magic words,,"What would it take to get you to buy this today?" Then I hit them with my dream price, which I knew was too low. Do not be afraid to embarrass yourself or "hurt their feelings". They came back with a scant $500 more than my dream price, which was about $14k lower than the original asking price.
You are good!

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
641 Posts
True - I realize that. I was just inquiring about general pricing and incentives after new year model release. You are right that incentives change on a nearly daily basis. Just since my last visit to BMW dealership 5 days ago - I was offered $500 discount for local dealership, then 2 days later another $1K incentive.
These are volume cars like the 3 series so there is no shortage of vehicles - don***8217;t be rushed in to buying. End of month/quarter is still the best time - my phone was ringing off the hook last week. The factories have revved up Again and more vehicles will be arriving soon. Every month I see new incentives, often better than last month. Nobody is driving much for commuting these days so I***8217;m thinking few people are looking to replace cars, except those (like me) who have expiring leases.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I just got an e-mail from BMW NA that there' a $3k incentive on 2020 X3's, X5's, and 2 Series Gran Coupes delivered before August 31st. The deal includes 0.9% financing for 60 months.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just got an e-mail from BMW NA that there' a $3k incentive on 2020 X3's, X5's, and 2 Series Gran Coupes delivered before August 31st. The deal includes 0.9% financing for 60 months.
Hey Putz, now that could be a winner coupled with other incentives that may be available if you need a car!:p

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Hey Putz, now that could be a winner coupled with other incentives that may be available if you need a car!:p
I always factory order my new cars, and then I keep them a looooong time. The last two cars we sold were over twelve years old. The one before that was ten years old. I still have a 13 year old car, a Chevy Cobalt bought new.

I'm militant about having non-metallic white paint, no scratches in the clearcoat, non-run-flat tires, and a spare tire and a hole to put it in. Alpine White III BMW's are easy to find. But, the other requirements are non-existent on lot bunnies.

I've learned to replace cars in the first part of the calendar years. Car sales are slow then, and factory orders are fulfilled quickly. It only took five weeks to get Frau Putzer's X3.

I'm going to keep my 2014 535i for at least 2.5 more years, until when Frau Putzer's X3 is paid off. By then, my "jobby" might be generating income and I could write off a lease.

I could write a check for a new BMW today, but I don't want to. The seventh, eighth, and ninth years of BMW ownership are cheap, what I call "the happy time."

I've been a militant anti-leaser any time that topic comes up here. But, I've done the math. For normal annual mileage (~12k miles/year), buying and keeping a BMW six years is about the same cost as leasing two of them. I get the new car itch almost as much as the next guy. But, the math makes me resist scratching it. But, I also use my cars for road trips, and a car past 70k miles is much more likely to leave you on the side of the road with the hood up than a three year old one with 35k miles on it.

It's actually of fun making those monthly payments on the X3 to BMW FS. It's sort of like being one of the little people... again. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oh man Putz, do I agree with you;) I also keep mine a long time. I kept my 2005 Chevy SSR bought in 9/04 for 13 years until I sold it in 9/17 and bought my 18 440 vert. We bought a 19 X3 30i for my wife in 9/18. Now, we only put about 4-5,000 miles on each of them a year, so we'll be keeping them for awhile. I order exactly what I want so I can keep them a long time because I don't desire anything else. :thumbup: I also have a real estate investment business and maybe next time might consider leasing one and having the company pay for it but I really doubt it. We took out our first lease on my wife's previous 15 X3 for three years but when the lease was up I did not like having to shop for a car again, so this time we purchased her 19 X3 rather then go through this hassle every three years with a leased vehicle. :( Since I don't put many miles on them, and they have exactly what I want in them, I really have no desire to change cars unless some very sharp looking model might come out in the future. And I don't mean a blonde or a brunette!;):p

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
i normally keep a beater. It made more sense when I was working (lots of business trips and letting a car bake in Floriduh's intense sunlight all day during the week). I get a special deal on GM stuff, so my beaters are GM's bought new. I get a new one cheaper than a used one year old car.

This calendar year, we've only put 3k miles on each of our BMW's and only 1k miles on my Cobalt. With this low annual mileage, leasing would be crazy. All three cars in parked in garages unless we're driving them. I'm thinking about finding a good home for the Cobalt in one of the many local trailer parks, or at an enlisted barracks at the local Navy or Air Force bases, and making my 535i my only car. But, the redneck tourists here in Bubbaville Beach are a vandalous bunch and they hate BMW's.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i normally keep a beater. It made more sense when I was working (lots of business trips and letting a car bake in Floriduh's intense sunlight all day during the week). I get a special deal on GM stuff, so my beaters are GM's bought new. I get a new one cheaper than a used one year old car.

This calendar year, we've only put 3k miles on each of our BMW's and only 1k miles on my Cobalt. With this low annual mileage, leasing would be crazy. All three cars in parked in garages unless we're driving them. I'm thinking about finding a good home for the Cobalt in one of the many local trailer parks, or at an enlisted barracks at the local Navy or Air Force bases, and making my 535i my only car. But, the redneck tourists here in Bubbaville Beach are a vandalous bunch and they hate BMW's.
We're in a somewhat similar situation. These days we barely put 4k miles per year on either car unless we take a road trip. We probably could go down to one car and be just fine but one does get used to the convenience of two cars. They're both paid for and any financial hit absorbed so the main cost is insurance. They are both 2019's so the depreciation hit on selling either one would be big so will proably keep both for now. If I had to decide which one to keep it would be the G30 - But that is subject to change.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Yeah Putz, I hated to get rid of my 05 SSR but I have a two car garage and had no place to put it.:yikes: I was thinking about asking one of my neighbors who only have one car if I could put it in their garage for a fee and use it once in awhile but even though they might only have one car, they like to pull into the middle of their garage to make it easier to them to get in and out. ;) So, I sold it for a good price to a guy from Missouri who flew down and drove it home. It was sad to see it leave but when I looked behind me in the garage I had the new 18 440 vert in Snapper Rocks Blue, so I stopped crying!:rofl:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Yeah Putz, I hated to get rid of my 05 SSR but I have a two car garage and had no place to put it.:yikes: I was thinking about asking one of my neighbors who only have one car if I could put it in their garage for a fee and use it once in awhile but even though they might only have one car, they like to pull into the middle of their garage to make it easier to them to get in and out. ;) So, I sold it for a good price to a guy from Missouri who flew down and drove it home. It was sad to see it leave but when I looked behind me in the garage I had the new 18 440 vert in Snapper Rocks Blue, so I stopped crying!:rofl:
Good garages make good neighbors. I spend $1600/year to keep m $2,000 Chevy Cobalt in a rented u-stor-it garage.. money well spent.

Granny Putzer had big two-car garage (10' wide doors). After Grandpappy Putzer died and she sold his 1963 Plymouth Belvedere, she rented out the 2nd bay to a kid down the street. When I went to see Granny Putzer for Christmas, I looked in the garage and there was a Superbird in the 2nd bay. "Granny, you shouldn't have. All I got you for Christmas was a sweater."

Our next house will have an attached 3-holer with a drive-on lift in the middle bay and a detached 1-holer. I'll be able to garage five cars if necessary. The detached 1-holer will mostly be for if we convert the walk-out basement into an apartment. The new 'hood's HAO rules allows "servants' quarters" on the lot. We wouldn't need the rental income. The apartment would be for a semi-functional friend or relative, caretaker, home care nurse, cat au pair, or a combination thereof.

Building the 1-holer when we're building the house will make it a fraction of the cost of adding it later if/when we finish the basement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Trying to decide which way to go, neither quote has everything I want.

2020 X3 M40i (driving assistance package, exec package, Phytonic Blue)

$63,295.00 - sales price $58,695.00 - $4,500.00 = $54,831

2020 X3 M40i (driving assistance package, wireless charging, premium package, glacier silver)

$63,220 - sales price $60,059 - $3,000 = $57,059

I'd really like HK sound, Mocha interior - hard finding M40i with those options currently.

Are deals ok or should I push for further reductions? Option 1 has $4600 savings & $4500 rebates. Thinking wait for 2021 rollout is a ways off.

Interested in your opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How hard have you worked those selling prices? Neither seem much below MSRP. But car buying can be affected by geography. You would do a lot better in Southern Calif, for example. At least 10% below MSRP.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry but I***8217;m sure you could do better.

Forget the ***8220;rebate***8221; amount in the conversation because that comes from BMW and doesn***8217;t cost the dealer anything. So just concentrating on the discount from the dealer I and others in my area (Chicago area) got our X3***8217;s discounted by the dealer between 13% to 16% off sticker. Also, remember 2021s will be arriving probably in about 60 days.

FYI .... ***8220;rebates***8221; are eligible for sales tax so you will pay sales tax on the $4,500 rebate. Also, IF you own another BMW product in the household (BMW or MINI) you***8217;ll get another $750 to $1,500 ***8220;rebate***8221;. In my case I got another $1,500 rebate because my wife owned a MINI.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry but I'm sure you could do better.

Forget the "rebate" amount in the conversation because that comes from BMW and doesn't cost the dealer anything. So just concentrating on the discount from the dealer I and others in my area (Chicago area) got our X3's discounted by the dealer between 13% to 16% off sticker. Also, remember 2021s will be arriving probably in about 60 days.

FYI .... "rebates" are eligible for sales tax so you will pay sales tax on the $4,500 rebate. Also, IF you own another BMW product in the household (BMW or MINI) you'll get another $750 to $1,500 "rebate". In my case I got another $1,500 rebate because my wife owned a MINI.
Thanks for the timely advice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think both quotes were 13-13.7% below MSRP

Ignore the factory rebates when evaluating deals. Your offers were 5-7% below MSRP. The factory rebates are on top of what you should focus on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a little confused by the rebates listed in post #33. Both vehicles are the X3 M40i, but one has a rebate of $4,500 and one has a rebate of $3,000. Why are they different?

Bruce

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a little confused by the rebates listed in post #33. Both vehicles are the X3 M40i, but one has a rebate of $4,500 and one has a rebate of $3,000. Why are they different?

Bruce
Different quotes from late July and early August. I try checking Edmunds, TrueCar, BMW USA but hard to find accurate numbers.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts