Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I have a passenger, they always (accidentally) rub their shoes against the door sill when they get in. This has left the passenger side door sill with a few black scuff marks that are impossible to remove with soap and water.

On the driver's side, there's no issue because I've gotten accustomed to carefully entering without my shoes rubbing against the door sill.

Thanks

·
5,820 Posts
PG said:
Whenever I have a passenger, they always (accidentally) rub their shoes against the door sill when they get in. This has left the passenger side door sill with a few black scuff marks that are impossible to remove with soap and water.

On the driver's side, there's no issue because I've gotten accustomed to carefully entering without my shoes rubbing against the door sill.

Thanks
Vinylex, simple green, goof off, steel wool, sandpaper?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnlew,

Do you know from personal experience that Vinylex is effective? If so, I'm willing to try some.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
PG said:

Thanks
I've tried Simple Green, Lexol, etc. with minimal success. I was able to get rid of 85% with Bug and Tar Remover but not gone:(

Any one else have a solution:dunno:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the only solution is to threaten your passengers before they enter your car. Unfortunately, this will leave you with few friends.

The other solution is to have a black interior.

:flipoff:

·
5,820 Posts
PG said:
Johnlew,

Do you know from personal experience that Vinylex is effective? If so, I'm willing to try some.
It's worked for me, but I don't know how bad your scuffs are. If it doesn't work you can always use it on the rest of the vinyl in the interior. IMO, great on the dash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have removed these scuffs from my tan door sills with a 1:1 admix of vinegar and water. Spray this onto an old cotton/terry cloth rag and rub vigorously. Hopefully your marks aren't that bad. Good luck! :D

BTW- this solution of vin. & water works great on windows too. Try adding lemon if the smell bothers you.:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I second the vinegar and water solution for windows. I tried several commercial cleaners for my windows and could never get the film off the inside until I tried the vinegar and water.

I too have a tan interior and have a tough time keeping the sills clean. I use Fantastic and it works OK but there is still some scuff marks. I thought about painting them black. What do you think they would look like in black ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cabriolet said:
I second the vinegar and water solution for windows. I tried several commercial cleaners for my windows and could never get the film off the inside until I tried the vinegar and water.

I too have a tan interior and have a tough time keeping the sills clean. I use Fantastic and it works OK but there is still some scuff marks. I thought about painting them black. What do you think they would look like in black ?
Since the tread part on mine are already black... I would think it would look okay.

Anyhoo, I have been pontificating on the idea of dying my int. black. They (they talk a lot, don't they? :) ) make a great plastic dye, and I hear that the Leatherique dye is pretty good as well for the seats (Making sure that prep work is perfect....)

just my $.02

Oh! I just looked at your sig. Your car is new compared to mine! Maybe dying would not be a good idea. I would also worry about the Fantastic discoloring your tan plastic in time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
jwBm.W said:

Oh! I just looked at your sig. Your car is new compared to mine! Maybe dying would not be a good idea. I would also worry about the Fantastic discoloring your tan plastic in time.

Black and convertible = burned ass. No way could I live with a black interior in a convertible.

·
Banned
9,903 Posts
My baby is OB with sand interior. I've had GREAT success with Griot's Interior Wipes. They also work well removing the black residue that the seatbelts leave on the convertible headrest support.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cabriolet- THAT is a beautiful car! I have never seen that ext. color before now. I agree... conv. w/ blk. int. = bad.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jim, I have heard of this Goof Off...pretty magical stuff.:thumbup:

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
jwBm.W said:
Jim, I have heard of this Goof Off...pretty magical stuff.:thumbup:
Magical - good description. I've used it for everything from taking airbag stickers off sunvisors to removing glue residue when I debadged the wife's Suburban to - yes - removing black scuff marks from my seat and door sills. Have yet to find something along those lines that it can't handle. Truly a must have chemical in the garage.

Doug

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a sand interior convertible. My problem is that the top's storage compartment lid behind the back seats gets a lot of soot from passing vehicle exhaust...especially trucks on the NJ Turnpike. 409 and other such cleaners don't get the soot off, and I don't want to scrub it and risk damage. Any ideas on this one?

·
5,820 Posts
egruber said:
I have a sand interior convertible. My problem is that the top's storage compartment lid behind the back seats gets a lot of soot from passing vehicle exhaust...especially trucks on the NJ Turnpike. 409 and other such cleaners don't get the soot off, and I don't want to scrub it and risk damage. Any ideas on this one?
Vinylex

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the Vinylex tip, but I have it and it did not work on the soot.

·
5,820 Posts
egruber said:
Thanks for the Vinylex tip, but I have it and it did not work on the soot.
Then use a stronger cleaner, simple green, some wheel cleaner diluted a bit in a rag, etc and retreat the area when clean with Vinylex

·
TXSunDvl
3,630 Posts
I've got sand interior and rubbing alcohol works very well. Got this advice from a body shop guy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts