Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier this week a number of warnings popped up just after starting the car. Today several more have cropped up;

Issues Starting Feb 19
Passenger seatbelt restraint warning (Stopped showing Feb 22)
Driver seatbelt restraint waring (Stopped showing Feb 22)
HUD will not switch on (Started working again Feb 22)Sounds like engine cooling fan always running, even with cold engine
Received indication of excessive battery drain during a couple of start ups
Service Due Mileage indicator shows lower mileage than expected. Dropped from 12,000 to 8,000 then 7,000

Issues Starting Feb 20
No climate control functions
Radio volume control not possible from dash
Programable buttons not working

Issues Starting Feb 22
Chassis Stabilization: Drive moderately
Collision Warning System malfunction
Drivetrain: Continued driving possible
Pedestrian warning limited
Engine warning light
Traction control warning light

The vehicle is a 2014 550i X Drive. Has anyone seen these issues before? What could be the cause?

The car is scheduled for service on Monday

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Low / dying battery. 2014 OE is 4+ years old, about half of the maximum expected life for a well maintained battery and BMW's are very hard on their batteries. Battery University .com by CADEX

Assuming that you get a new batttery, buy an AGM SMART CHARGER and use it frequently and regularly. Assuming that you get a new battery, have it properly bench charged before installation. Properly means not more than 14.8 VDC charging voltage, not more than 4 Amps charging current, not quick / rapid charge. New batteries are not maintained charged on the shelf awaiting sale, and you may buy a new nearly dead battery. Your BMW will never ever fully charge its battery, not if you ran it 24/7.

Battery life is correlated with average State of Charge. The sweet spot balancing AH throughput and cycle life is at about 70% average SoC giving about 1,000 cycles of nominal discharge-recharge. BatteryFAQ.org

I charge with CTEK 4.3 MUS weekly about 5 - 10 AH summer and winter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low / dying battery. 2014 OE is 4+ years old, about half of the maximum expected life for a well maintained battery and BMW's are very hard on their batteries. Battery University .com by CADEX

Assuming that you get a new batttery, buy an AGM SMART CHARGER and use it frequently and regularly. Assuming that you get a new battery, have it properly bench charged before installation. Properly means not more than 14.8 VDC charging voltage, not more than 4 Amps charging current, not quick / rapid charge. New batteries are not maintained charged on the shelf awaiting sale, and you may buy a new nearly dead battery. Your BMW will never ever fully charge its battery, not if you ran it 24/7.

Battery life is correlated with average State of Charge. The sweet spot balancing AH throughput and cycle life is at about 70% average SoC giving about 1,000 cycles of nominal discharge-recharge. BatteryFAQ.org

I charge with CTEK 4.3 MUS weekly about 5 - 10 AH summer and winter.
Thank you for the prompt reply. I thought the battery might be at issue. I've been placing a BMW charger on it since the problem first started. I'm just back from the store and have now lost throttle control. Glad I live in a small community and not downtown Toronto :yikes:. On the bright side, heater controls have started to work again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A Twenty Dollar Part Caused Thousands in Damages

Okay, it really wasn't a twenty dollar part! Twenty dollars is what the assembly cost in order to acquired the ten cent washer and thirty cent clip that should have been replaced when the rear bumper was removed and reinstalled at the body shop a few months back.

A diagnoses by BMW revealed a connector and module in the left side of the trunk corroded as a result of water egress caused by a missing washer and damaged trim clip. Each time it rained or the car was washed, water would run along the gutter and exit over the bumper. As it travelled along the gutter it would pass by a fastener designed to hold a piece of trim in place. Given the absence of a washer that should have been installed when the bumper was repaired (Due to a scratch), water was leaking into the truck from around the clip holding the moulding. You guessed it! The damaged module is installed directly below where water was leaking in. As water entered the trunk it landed on, then infiltrated the module at it's electrical connector. Overtime the module and wiring corroded which caused the communication buss to fail. This in turned produced the bounty of errors noted earlier.

At this point the vehicle is with BMW awaiting parts and the body shop is being questioned about the quality of their repairs. I'm hopeful they'll accept responsibility and come good for the cost of repairs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
back to batteries.... i'm getting intermittent warnings that my battery is discharging when car is off and all electronics have been turned off. I've made sure that no USB cables are left plugged in, no lights are on, etc... but sometimes it still comes up. Any thoughts on this?

Anyway I happened to get an email from BMW about batteries and the quote for a new battery was $485. Does that sound right? Seems high.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same errors and it was time for a new battery. I took it to an Indy shop which installed a Bosch that met the oem specs for $180. That solved my problem. $485 is not bad by dealer standards - I recall my dealer quoting me $700. I***8217;d take it to an import shop that can replace it with an aftermarket agm battery that meets oem specs and will code the car to receive the new battery.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same errors and it was time for a new battery. I took it to an Indy shop which installed a Bosch that met the oem specs for $180. That solved my problem. $485 is not bad by dealer standards - I recall my dealer quoting me $700. I’d take it to an import shop that can replace it with an aftermarket agm battery that meets oem specs and will code the car to receive the new battery.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I replaced mine last summer. I checked around and the actual best price and largest CCA battery I could find in the right physical size was from the dealership. It was cheaper than the other alternatives from the biggies like Interstate. They had two that would fit, I chose their larger one that was more CCA than the original one. I paid $199 at the BMW dealership for the battery after I returned the old one for recycling (otherwise, there's a core charge).

Programming the car requires tweaking up to three variables:
- type, you probably won't change that from the recommended AGM
- CCA
- and, finally, the 'reset' that it uses for the battery age internally for how to treat the battery during recharge.

Pep Boys would do that programming for $35, but I'm not positive they'd do it if you didn't buy your battery there (they don't have one that has a large enough CCA).

The Bimmertech app has been updated more than a few times since I tried, but I ended using two different tools to do all of the reprogramming...there's probably an easier way. Bimmertech let me change the battery size, but wouldn't (at the time, not sure if it does now) reset the in service date.

I used my Schwaben scan tool (AKA Foxwell 510) that would reset the in service date, but had trouble updating the CCA. That had new firmware since, so may do it as well.

It takes all of about 20-minutes to do the physical swap, but the battery IS heavy, and you have to lean into the hatch area, so if you have back issues, you might want to solicit younger help!

If you're into doing some servicing yourself, or even if you just want to be able to run some tests, you can buy the battery and the scan tool for less than what the dealer will charge to install it. If they do, the part is covered for a year, but then, one would hope the battery would last much longer than that.

FWIW, supposedly there's an automated way to input all of that information by inputting the item code written on the OEM battery (the dealership can probably just scan it - I tried entering it manually)...I couldn't get that to work, so that's why I had to enter stuff separately.

If you start to get those battery discharge alerts for other when maybe you left the car for weeks without use, you need to either use a battery tender on it, or buy a new battery. Mine doesn't get driven often. The OEM one was replaced by the dealer under warranty at about 1-year. That one lasted about 7 since I started to use the tender on it.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
back to batteries.... i'm getting intermittent warnings that my battery is discharging when car is off and all electronics have been turned off. I've made sure that no USB cables are left plugged in, no lights are on, etc... but sometimes it still comes up. Any thoughts on this?

Anyway I happened to get an email from BMW about batteries and the quote for a new battery was $485. Does that sound right? Seems high.
Shop around (call or look physcially) town for a 49/H8 or 95R/H9 battery class size. There are only a few battery manufacturers in the US market that make most of the battery brands sold here in the States.

The big 3 are Exide, East Penn, & Johnson Controls. I believe Exide & East Penn supply most of the BMW branded batteries. You can see in the East Penn battery chart below what the specs are for their H8 & H9 batteries. The other manufacturer batteries of the same class size will usually be close (spec-wise)...and may have a CCA (cold cranking amps) that is slightly lower but have a higher RC (reserve capacity).

Also, regardless if you pay someone else to do it or do it yourself...DON'T FORGET TO VENT the battery if the original battery has a vent tube hooked up to it. If your battery is enclosed...it will need to be vented...even an AGM battery. There are certain situations were even an AGM battery can release a build up of gases that is produced naturally by the battery...and it needs to be evacuated to fresh air...and not inside the enclosed trunk.

Battery Specs to look for when comparing:
  • RC = reserve capacity
  • CA = cranking amps
  • CCA = cold cranking amps
  • AH = amp hour

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts