BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What's in an idrive update?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  atm.willow 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I am sure this is answered somewhere, but I have searched and searched and can't seem to find.

Is there a list of "release notes" with idrive software?

I have a 2009 520D and am planning to fit a newer bluetooth module. The people I want to buy from said my iDrive version is still 2009 (Found this from VIN somehow) and I need at least March 2011 update.

This is apparently not something I can do myself so I called my local BMW dealer who is happy to update (No idea what too, but at least 2011) but I am actually wondering what is in the update.... I have read everything from bluetooth updates to transmission tuning or engine tuning etc etc but can't find what it all really is.

Any help with what is in this update or where to find it would be great!

Cheers!

#2 ·
Are you talking about COMBOX retrofit? Or TCU or Mulf2 ? Which radio do you have ? Mask, ccc, cic?

#3 ·
Hi. I have CiC and am looking at retrofitting the combox.

But have to update the "car software" first to enable it to work apparently.

Just really wondering if the update (which will cost a bit) will provide any other features apart from my ability to retrofit a combox!

#4 ·
I***8217;ve heard about these updates but I have no idea what they are or how they are done. Can anybody shed some light?

#5 ·
Yes you can update the cic software and most likely you will need it in order for the combox to work, its a simple process about 1.5hrs to update cic than coding in combox

#6 ·
With cic update you will see a little difference screen colors will look little better, mostly its the internals

#9 ·
Mostly more Language choices that you can code, and more choices to add new hardware/retrofit for example Combox, menu will look more up to date, you cant update it with regular obd cable you need an icom,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.