BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hitdog540
366 Posts
It's worth is whatever you're willing to pay. Mine has 229k miles on it and I would sell mine for $8k. May seem high to most but you have to really know these cars.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Hard to say as there really is no solid market value for E39's these days which is a good thing as they seem to be appreciating. This "appears" to be an enthusiasts car as he describes common work that that has been performed and the M5 upgraded seats are a nice touch. That said, he hasn't done the Timing Chain Guides but says they are inspected and "OK". I would get more color on this and what the inspection entailed. Was it as simple as dropping the oil pan and looking for fragments or dig they pull the engine apart? (which I doubt). At 150k you are in the range of needing this done in the next 30k miles and your looking at $3.5-$5 grand. 6-Speeds go for a premium so factoring that in, I would offer $7k max and see if he bites, of course without seeing it and the records. The pictures are horrible in terms of assessing the condition.

EDIT - just to add, it seems like the F1 is depreciating faster than normal and rightfully so. I think the ugliness of the F1 and it's reputation as the worst 5-series ever created is pumping up the price of E39's which is arguable the best, but my F10 was a dream of a car from a design and engineering perspective.

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 to what Joe said. These are all getting harder to find. If I had the budget and that car was in Texas I'd buy it. Texas has less saturation of clean, older BMWs compared to California and the east coast. Ultimately it will be dictated by how well kept the overall paint, interior and service done in recent to the car.

I will soon be scouring the pick n pull near me for a clean interior to swap into my 530i, amongst other hopeful diamonds in the rough

·
Habitual User
894 Posts
Too bad the chain job wasn't done.
The job is looming. 30k/m at the most.
$1000.00 to DIY
$3000.00+ for shop

Other than that, it looks great.
I'm in love with my '03 540.
I actually prefer driving it over my M5.

Good Luck,
Hb

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Thanks hb. I spend a lot of time looking at E39s online. Would love to get a clean M5.

Just noticed I forgot my link to the F1 above so I added it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to say as there really is no solid market value for E39's these days which is a good thing as they seem to be appreciating. This "appears" to be an enthusiasts car as he describes common work that that has been performed and the M5 upgraded seats are a nice touch. That said, he hasn't done the Timing Chain Guides but says they are inspected and "OK". I would get more color on this and what the inspection entailed. Was it as simple as dropping the oil pan and looking for fragments or dig they pull the engine apart? (which I doubt). At 150k you are in the range of needing this done in the next 30k miles and your looking at $3.5-$5 grand. 6-Speeds go for a premium so factoring that in, I would offer $7k max and see if he bites, of course without seeing it and the records. The pictures are horrible in terms of assessing the condition.

EDIT - just to add, it seems like the F1 is depreciating faster than normal and rightfully so. I think the ugliness of the F1 and it's reputation as the worst 5-series ever created is pumping up the price of E39's which is arguable the best, but my F10 was a dream of a car from a design and engineering perspective.
I found another 1 but it's an auto which I dont mind but its damn near mint, all black with dark tan interior with a couple dinan upgrades. It has 86k miles and the guy wants 9.5k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts