BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am in the market to buy a new car, preferably a large luxury car (like the 7). I have been reading the boards for a couple of days and see that many comment on the car's unreliability. I understand that a car like the 7 would be slightly problematic, but after a while of searching (maybe I am missing something) I cannot really find what it is that goes wrong with them, besides they just break. I work on cars quite a bit, and one of my current vehicles, a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser (for offroading and expedition use), while amazingly reliable, requires quite a bit of attention due to it's age. I have no problem fixing things, I enjoy it, so my main question is what are the actual problems you guys have encountered with the 7's? I can fix mostly everything, my main concern is the electronic bugs the will require the dealer to fix.

From reading through the boards a little bit I get the impression that a lot of little things seem to bother people, for me if the weather-stripping starts to peel off that is not a big deal where I need to take it back to the dealer, or if I need to replace some suspension parts I will just buy a lift and do it myself. I guess then my reservation about buying the 7 would be electronic bugs, or other issues that require a trip to the dealership. I am thinking about a late 03 model or up, as I understand the 2002's did have a lot of little gremlins being the first year.

The only other cars I am considering would be the Audi A8 (a little to "blah" to me though), the W220 S-Class (Which I'd imagine would have more problems than the 7), or the LS430 if it turns out the German cars simply are too problematic, which I wouldn't think they would be. I am favoring the 7 series currently (a 745Li more specifically), and will plan on buying one if there are not any megalithic issues with them. I have searched a bit, and think I would be better served by asking some people who actually own them, so I would appreciate any input regarding the specific problems encountered with the 7-series.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Hello, I am in the market to buy a new car, preferably a large luxury car (like the 7). I have been reading the boards for a couple of days and see that many comment on the car's unreliability. I understand that a car like the 7 would be slightly problematic, but after a while of searching (maybe I am missing something) I cannot really find what it is that goes wrong with them, besides they just break. .
looke like you may be the perfest candidate to buy a 7ser. you seem to be a very patient man. if you don't mind a car to "just break" and are OK with frequent visits to the dealer, then this is the definitely the car for you cause if you take all the problems out of the equation, it is otherwise a magnificent car. i see you like working on cars but keep in mind, your 94 landcruiser is in a different realm when it comes to technology compared to the e65. anyway, good luck on your decision and please don't get the ls430. nothing more blah than that: puke:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. My main concern is what actually goes wrong with the 7's, I don't mind fixing it, but I don't feel like taking it to the dealer to fix problems and get screwed on the cost. How many of the problems absolutely require the car going back to the dealer (electronics mainly)?

As a side note, I worked at a Toyota/Lexus dealership (not as a tech but I was around them all the time) and some of the Lex's, while not as technologically advanced as the 7, still had some funky gizmo's in them, and they weren't much different to repair, so for mechanical repairs the advancement in the 7 doesn't bother me, just for electronic gremlins. It would be interesting to hear the specific problems many have experienced, for I haven't really heard of any 7 horror stories, just smaller things that break here and there (besides the tranny I guess).

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
My recommendation is to purchase a 7 from a BMW dealer. At least they will (or should) have service records of the car to give you an indication of how many times the car has been in for service and/or repair issues. It would be difficult for me buying a 7 from anyone other than the dealer, because you don't know if the car was serviced properly, if it's been broke before, or is there any record reflecting that. Bottom line, if the visits to the dealer are mininum, then chances are you got a good car. If the list is long, throw caution to the wind and move on.

Generally, tranny issues are the main focus on these cars. Good luck in your search!!!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Get a 7 that already had the electrical problems repaired. If you see the vehicle history having no electrical issues (even MOST bus) including any transmission shift characteristic concerns, that 7 isn't for you. It's for someone who doesn't worry about the little things and drives the vehicle normally. IMO, e-65/66 is a road warrior and not a weekend car. As a matter of fact when I was working in San Fran they had a client that owned a fleet of 2002 MY 7's that he rents out as a limo/car service or taxi (livery). They had no warranty but had the maintenance plan. I thought at first that it was the wrong choice of vehicle, but imagine being driven around the bay sitting in the backseat with all the bells and whistles (RSE,i-Drive,rear climate control,etc..)......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the "necro-post", but I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I have been entertaining the idea of buying a new car, and I have narrowed it down to either a 2003-2005 Range Rover (not the sport), or a 7-series (I know how similar of vehicles). I like the RR for its off-road prowess, but it is no better than my Land Cruiser, so I got to thinking about the 7 again.

I work at a Toyota/Lexus/Scion/Ford dealership, and on a trip I had to take, they gave me an LS430 for the ride, it was pretty nice, but it got me thinking about the 7 again. I read on this board that it is such an unreliable car, but after 30 pages of threads, I did not see any shocking problems, nor that many.

The main problems I found were some minor electronic bugs (which kind of sound like they are battery/alternator related from reading about the Range Rovers (which were owned by BMW as you know), and some tranny issues. However, if all the tranny does is clunk every once in a while, or have a hard downshift, and not any potentially detrimental problems, I am fine with that. Are these the only real problems? Now remember, I work at a car dealership, and from what I have seen reliability wise from some of the cars, the 7 seems rather reliable actually.

My main concern is the fact that the BMW dealership by me sucks, and I would never, ever, want to go there. If I got the 7, I would not get any warranty, because I work at a dealership, and I actually want to do the repairs myself, and any of the techs there said they would help me out (some of them are very good). From my research you can by a diagnostic tuner for the Range Rovers for under $2,000, can you do the same for the 7?

Just wondering if I am sounding like I am crazy, I get that from people occasionally. I just want people to keep in my the fact that if there is a problem that can be fixed without the BMW dealer, it will not be going there, I will be fixing it at the Toyota/Lexus dealership. With that being said, are my assessments of the 7's reliability somewhat correct? Also, considering my situation, does the 7 sound like a good car for me?

Thanks for the help, I know I probably sound crazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts