BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help BMW X5 From Dubai/ Atlanta

To All BMW experts,

This is my first BMW and since the Purchase 1.5 years ago, its official we are a German Car Family my wife now Drives a VW Jetta. I have been In love with BMW since Golden Eye. 1997 ish'. Either way I am wanting to send the BMW back to the states in or around June 2014. From Dubai. This car was built in the Spartanburg Plant but has the following packages:

P955A Middle-East-Paket middle east package
S887A Bordliteratur arabisch On-board vehicle literature Arabic
L822A Länderausführung Golf GULF VERSION
S823A Heissland-Ausführung Hot-climate version
S548A Kilometertacho Kilometer-calibrated speedometer

These are the only real differences that i can see.

I did get a letter back from BMW North America (Blanket Letter) stating that my car was not conforming to the US specs. my question is how? as it was made on the same line that produces the In-spec models. I promptly requested a differences letter from the manufacturer, as it would cheapen the Import/ "conversion" costs greatly. I have been reading and researching a great deal over the past few weeks, the conclusions that i have come to, is that most people are at best, un-informed about the import process and the epa, dot, and nhasta,ICI's & RI's are all in cahoots and its a money racquet if I have ever seen one.

I could use a little help with this. My vehicles information as follows:

Data for vehicle identification number: WBAFA11014LT51772
;created on: www.bmwarchiv.org
;Data for vehicle identification number: WBAFA11014LT51772
Model description
Market
Type
E-Code
Chassis Steering
Doors
Engine
Drive Transmission Body color Upholstery Production date Assembled in
X5 3.0I
Europa
FA11
E53
Sports Activity Vehicle links
M54 - 3,00l (170kW)
Allrad
automatisch
Schwarz 2 (668)
Leder Dakota/hellbeige 2 (LCHC) 22.03.2004
Spartanburg
***65532;***65532;***65532;***65532;***65532;***65 532;***65532;***65532;***65532;***65532;***65532;* **65532;***65532;Code Serienausstattung
S413A Gepäckraumtrennnetz
S548A Kilometertacho
Code Sonderausstattung
S205A Automatikgetriebe
S216A Servolenkung-Servotronic
S226A Sportliche Fahrwerksabstimmung S249A Multifunktion für Lenkrad
S255A Sport-Lederlenkrad Airbag S261A Seitenairbag für Fondpassagiere S2CCA BMW LM Rad Sternspeiche 132 S321A Exterieurumfänge in Wagenfarbe S328A Trittbrett Aluminium
P330A Sportpaket
S358A Klimakomfort-Frontscheibe S386A Dachreling
Standard Equipment
Trunk room net
Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
Optional Equipment
Automatic transmission
HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC Sports suspension settings Multifunction f steering wheel Sports leather steering wheel Side airbags for rear passengers BMW LA wheel, star spoke 132 Exterior parts in vehicle color Footplate, aluminum
Sports package
Climate comfort windscreen Roof railing
;create d on: www.bmwarchiv.org
;Code Sonderausstattung S403A Glasdach elektrisch
S417A Sonnenschutzrollo Tür hinten S423A Fussmatten Velours
S428A Warndreieck und Verbandstasche S430A Innen-/Aussensp. mit Abblendautomatik S437A Edelholzausführung
S441A Raucherpaket
S442A Getränkehalter
S459A Sitzverstellung elektrisch mit Memory S481A Sportsitz
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A Xenon-Licht
S533A Fond-Klimatisierung
S534A Klimaautomatik
S601A TV-Funktion
S609A Navigationssystem Professional
S620A Spracheingabe
S644A Vorbereitung Handy m. Bluetooth S672A CD-Wechsler 6-fach
S761A Individual Sonnenschutzverglasung S775A Dachhimmel anthrazit
S785A Blinkleuchten weiss
S818A Batteriehauptschalter
L822A Länderausführung Golf
S823A Heissland-Ausführung
S825A Radio-Steuerung Ozeanien
S840A Hochgeschwindigkeitsabstimmung S845A Akustische Gurtwarnung
S853A Sprachversion englisch
S861A Datensatz ohne EOBD
S864A Händlerverzeichnis Übersee
S880A Bordliteratur englisch
Optional Equipment
Glass roof, electrical
Roller sun vizor, rear door
Floor mats, velours
Warning triangle and first aid kit Interior/outside mirror with auto dip Fine wood trim
Smoker package
Cup holder
Seat adjuster, electric, with memory Sports seat
Park Distance Control (PDC)
Xenon Light
Air conditioning, rear
Automatic air conditioning
TV function
Navigation system Professional
Voice control
Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth CD changer for 6 CDs
Individual sunshade glazing
Headlining anthracite
White direction indicator lights
Battery master switch
GULF VERSION
Hot-climate version
Radio control Oceania
High speed synchronisation
Acoustic belt warning
Language version English
Data record without EOBD
Retailer Directory Overseas
On-board vehicle literature English

;Code Sonderausstattung
S887A Bordliteratur arabisch
S925A Versandschutzpaket
S926A vollwertiges Ersatzrad
S945A Berücksichtigung Preisabhängigkeit P955A Middle-East-Paket
S993A Modelljahrescode in FG-Nummer
Optional Equipment On-board vehicle literature Arabic Transport protection package Spare wheel
Middle-East package model year code in VIN

Thanks

I have also just sent this information to Wallace Environmental Test Lab in Houston TX. for the import and Conversion Quote. They are an certified ICI/ RI. Thanks in advance far any and all information.

V/r,

Mike Joyce
USMC

Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmwarchive_org_lt51772.pdf (1.16 MB, 5 views)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1st reply from BMW North America ( form Letter )

Dear Mr. Joyce:

Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding importing a non-conforming BMW to the United States. Here is some information we hope you find helpful:

• Non-conforming vehicles must be imported through a certified Independent Commercial Importer (ICI) and a Registered Importer (RI). The ICI is responsible for the emission compliance, and the Registered Importer (RI) is responsible for the safety compliance of the vehicle. If the vehicle is being imported into California, additional emissions requirements may apply. They can assist you should you have questions regarding the modifications needed to import your vehicle. Please note that BMW cannot verify the modifications needed.
• If your state has a vehicle registration inspection, further modifications may be required for your vehicle to pass the inspection.
• BMW cannot ensure that replacement parts for non U.S. specification vehicles will be available.

Detailed information on the importation process can be found via NHTSA, the EPA and CARB:

1) NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: for Information on the importation process and names and addresses of Registered Importers (RI). Website: www.nhtsa.gov., telephone: 1-888-327-4235

2) EPA - Environmental Protection Agency: for information on Independent Commercial Importers (ICI), publications and forms, certification guidance, regulations and standards, etc. Website: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/, telephone: Imports Team Department 1-734-214-4100
3) CARB - California Air Resources Board: for information on modifier-certified vehicles in California. Website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm, telephone: 1-800-242-4450

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Brittany Fout
BMW Customer Relations and Services
Representative

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2nd Letter From BMW North America ( waste of Time )

Dear Mr. Joyce:

Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC.

Unfortunately, BMW cannot verify the modifications needed for a vehicle imported into the United States. Non-conforming vehicles must be imported through a certified Independent Commercial Importer (ICI) and a Registered Importer (RI). A list of importers can be found at www.NHTSA.DOT.gov.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Brittany Fout
BMW Customer Relations and Services
Representative

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I would sell the X5 there and bought one here. The $ to make it US DOT legal and shipping from Dubai must be substantial.
Where about in ATL will you be at?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need help BMW X5 From Dubai/ Atlanta

I have been inspecting the Car and even the Glass Has DOT stickers and markings the only thing that I am missing is the sticker on the inside front door drivers side that states DOT .....specs and so on. As well as the Cluster(MPH), the exhaust hast Cats, the 2 variations of exhausts that were produce both 6-8cyl. come with catalytic converters. The "RoRo" shipping cost is anywhere from $400-$1200 which is fine. the car has super low miles, it was a grocery getter here. I live in North ATL, Marietta-Roswell.

Now I want to know and to help others, I have read a dozen+ Blogs and forums, there is a common theme, misinformation, rumors and not really knowing the answers just assuming. I have Found 2 GEMS' of postings and you can tell who has either done it before a mechanic, or just an enthusiast.

Either way I would like to hear from a production line mechanic from 2002-2005 time frame. Or even a current one. or a certified BMW Mech with at least 10-12 years experience. basically Journeyman or better !

V/r,

Mike Joyce

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
I have none of the qualifications you're asking for someone to have in able to respond to your post...but there are lots of little things that many don't think of or consider that are requirements by federal DOT standards. Some of the things that 1st came to mind are listed below, and you can check them for yourself to dispel that it is rumor/inuendo/etc.

The USA DOT requires extra knee padding....and if you look up the diagrams...you can see that the Euro build e53s use #2...but those for the USA market use #11. If you use your VIN to look up these parts...you'll see that #11 isn't even listed in the part nbr index for your VIN...and item #2 isn't listed in the part nbr index for USA market e53s:

There are other things like lighting and reflective markers etc. The Euro market usually doesn't require that the front parking lights are illuminated along with the headlights...so their front parking lights only illuminate when for turning. The pigtail for those lights as well as the bulbs can be different if it's only single use. Again, if you look up item #17 for your vehicle, versus one for the USA market, you,'ll see that they have different BMW part nbrs:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is Excellent. Exactly what I was Looking for. the only question that I have is that the car was built in Spartanburg South Carolina. Why wood the production line make to versions of a car In America and send certain LOTS to the Middle east? From a cost benefit standpoint, the Germans are way more efficient and smarter than that. I do understand the (Packages / Upgrades). I am just trying to get a differences letter from the Manufacturer. I have not noticed any of the functional aspects of the X5 that you have mentioned, believe me, you made go and double check. (GEM Post ) = In depth and detailed answer in my book. You have successfully provoked thought.......Thank you. Ordering parts and maintenance Manual now. thanks for the Heads up.
V/r,

Mike Joyce

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Here's a link to another forum (Xoutpost) and to a post by a forum member there that works at the Spartanburg plant. If you're a member over there...perhaps you can PM (private message) him and see if he can offer any more information. :)

Here's a link to a post he made today about driving to work at the plant: http://www.xoutpost.com/982961-post3444.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
... the car was built in Spartanburg South Carolina. Why wood the production line make to versions of a car In America and send certain LOTS to the Middle east?
BMW built EVERY E53 for the world in Spartanburg, which as you can imagine, means thousands of variants. Just the way we did things at the time.

I would tend to agree with what has been proposed before, that is, sell the car where it is, and buy another here in the US. The headaches of getting that car DOT certified would not be worth the effort, IMHO. I can imagine how you might feel about that, if you like the car as much as most of us E53 drivers love ours, but it just makes more sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looking for a solid Answer

Thank you all for the help and the info,

Somebody out there knows the answer, I agree I do not want to let this Car go, but cost benefit does come into play at some point. I am looking for a differences list and or a check list of what needs to be done to the car before it passes DOT standards. I have emailed RI's with zero response. Fortunately I am stubborn and do not give up, I want the inspection list for the make model and year car that I have or the Criteria needed at customs.

There are DOT marking all over this car just not the main one that says it on the Inside door jam / drivers side.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Take a deep breath and start here.... http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Only the 03/04 model year BMW X5s are on the list as certified by BMW for meeting US import requirements, I have no idea why. If it is any other year, it means it is YOUR responsibility to prove to the feds that your X5 meets their standards. You might as well give up, because the crash-testing standard will have to be met.

I looked at importing a Lotus several years ago and gave up. I would rather have my finger nails removed with a dull butter knife than attempt to navigate this process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, Its reading time, I, in fact have a March of 04 production BMW. I almost peed my pants when reading your quotes, I may have to change my drawers. excellent post and thanks. V/r,

Mike Joyce

Ps. How do you apply the picture of your, as in My BMW to my profile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
All,

Thank you for your help. according to the NHSTA, my BMW Does meet the standard. Awesome !!! Best birthday Present Ever. This is the nicest car I have ever owned, I am very excited. Again thanks. To LoveMy03E53, Tell your Son thanks, Keep up the good work!

V/r,

Mike Joyce

USMC /USAF Hurricane Hunter/ US Army MEDEVAC

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Ps. How do you apply the picture of your, as in My BMW to my profile.
First, congrats on finding the info you wanted to know.

And if you mean you want to create a signature (that includes your model/model year/build date along with a pic)...then click on the USER CP link (its on the far left of the black band that goes across the page...near the top)...then look on the left side of the page that opens under SETTINGS & OPTIONS...and you should see a link that says EDIT SIGNATURE. Click that link and follow the instructions to type your X5's model/model year/build date info...and upload an image of your X5. You may have to resize the image if it's too large...so be prepared to redo your sig pic using an image/picture application. If you're using a PC running Windows...you can resize your image using HyperSnap...which should be one of the icons loaded with a quick open on your desktop.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Hello Mike, I need your help please? I am a new member and in the same situation as you were. I am under a time line can you please send me a email to contact you please? [email protected]
You'd have better luck trying to contact Mike (if possible).If you click on his name...you'll see the last time he posted to the forum was back in March 2014. Also, there may be an email lnk for Mike....if not,yu can leavea privatemessage if he left no other contact info. Again...you'd probably have a better chance contacting him rather than waiting for someone that may not even visit the forum anymore contact you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.