BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to ShipNex and UPS websites and the lowest quote I was able to get for shipping 4 boxes weighing 28 lbs each (1 wheel per box) is about $150. UPS Ground was $276. FedEx ground shipping was even higher. These can't be right because when I tried ordering the same set of wheels from ECS Tuning, their shipping charges were only about $30 (the wheels were no longer available, so they had to cancel my order). I found someone who has a set of the same wheels in unopened original boxes, and I have to cover shipping charges. $150 minimum for a set of wheels kind of kills the deal.

What am I doing wrong? If a set of wheels alone cost $150 to ship, a set of wheels/tires would run $300. That can't be right? What shipping method do wheel & tire vendors use?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I shipped a convertible hardtop for my old E30 through Greyhound (Bus company) it cost me $125.00 everyone else wanted over $500.00.
I would give them a try.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I went to ShipNex and UPS websites and the lowest quote I was able to get for shipping 4 boxes weighing 28 lbs each (1 wheel per box) is about $150. UPS Ground was $276. FedEx ground shipping was even higher. These can't be right because when I tried ordering the same set of wheels from ECS Tuning, their shipping charges were only about $30 (the wheels were no longer available, so they had to cancel my order). I found someone who has a set of the same wheels in unopened original boxes, and I have to cover shipping charges. $150 minimum for a set of wheels kind of kills the deal.

What am I doing wrong? If a set of wheels alone cost $150 to ship, a set of wheels/tires would run $300. That can't be right? What shipping method do wheel & tire vendors use?
Hello Bada..that is correct, as ECS tuning is a big player with respect to shipping...they will ship more items before 11am on a Monday morning than you will your entire life!!! This puts them in an advantageous position for negotiation. Good luck with your purchase:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
When rims are unmountable and in there original box they are MUCH cheaper to ship than a rim and tire. It puts it into different category in both weight and size. Like CALLAWAY845 said the GIANT discount big users get makes shipping these items still profitable. I know at FedEx the 3M discount is bigger than the employees discount.

Like I said Grayhound is the cheapest for individuals shipping large or heavy or oddly shaped items. If you use there service the sender has to drop the item off at a Grayhound station and you have to pick them up at a Grayhound station. Since LA is a popular area you have a good chance to get them pretty quick. I got my hard top in a wooden crate shipped from NY to Orange County in 9 days and this thing was huge and weighed a ton. Shipping was simple as long as the sender is willing to drop them off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts