Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to go crazy! I am taking my M6 in to the dealer for the 3rd time tomorrow, every time I take it all they do is chamfer and lube it and tell me its good now, but the quiet lasts 2 days and its back to squealing again.

its crazy im driving a $134k car and I am scared to brake because it sounds horrible.

can someone let me know what to do? can i ask them to change the brakes for me? has anyone gone through this?

·
Registered
527 Posts
are you capable of doing your own work? If yes and I'm assuming you have iron rotors as found in the base model with no competition package, have you contemplated having your rotors turned and changing pads? You can ask BMW what material is OEM. I'm assuming the OEM is a semi-metallic pad, perhaps you can try a ceramic brake pad.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I had the same problem at the front and even after having rotors and pads changed, they were due anyway, it got better but not perfect.
CRC BRAKE QUIET , the red lube stuff that is applied behind the pads solved the issue at least by 90%.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Dio and others, if the Brake Quiet works to cure the squeaking 90% then please consider pads that have shims between the backing plate and pad material.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agree this brake squealing is ridiculous on a $140,000 car. Just bought a 2015 GC and taking to dealer to see if they will fix it. Some have said that you should expect it on high performance ceramic brakes. Not true, my GT3 with ceramics was quiet as could be. Also what's with the ****ty rear caliper?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It's considered quite often that high performance cars and supercars quite simply have squeaky brakes.
Performance brakes will usually have a higher concentration of metal in the pads. This increased metal content will sometimes allow, or even cause, more vibration than the older organic, asbestos and first generation semi-metallic brake pads. In performance brake pads, the bonding materials that the metallic pieces make up the friction material in a brake pad, is also more durable than with lower performance pads/ This increased durability also contributes to the squeak, causing vibrations. Beveling the edges of the brake pads and using silicone adhesives when installing the pads can alleviate this squeaking.
The adhesive I used, (illustration in my older post on this thread) worked brilliantly, squeaking about 80-90% reduced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any aftermarket pads that help? After two weeks with this car i am ready to trade it in, love it but the noise is just too aggravating. Porsche got it right why can't BMW?

·
Registered
92 Posts
are you running ceramics? if so, that's what you get with race brakes. Normal brakes they have some updated pads and lubing but its a common thing.

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
not really much you can do, im a bmw tech and we see it all the time. clean and lube helps but doesnt fix it. the pads are designed to be noisey till they get hot

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 M6GC and the squeal I get is from the right front only but it***8217;s horrendous. Have tried too many times, everything possible and it always returns. So instead of taking it apart every 3or4 days I follow ***8220;BMW Brake Pad Bedding***8221; for the Carbon Ceramic System. I go out late at night on I-95 and burn them in. Sometime it last for quite a while, I don***8217;t get my hands dirty and I have a good time doing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake Squeal

I just picked up my M6 F12 Cabriolet and noticed the brake squeal on it's drive home. I drove around for several days always getting the squeal on the brakes and then eventually needed to give the car a clean and part of my cleaning regime is to use Gyeon Q2M Iron on the wheels. This not only helps get the wheels nice and clean, but it also seems to have drastically improved / eliminated the brake squeal (so far).

I've cleaned my car twice since getting it and haven't have the squeal since the clean, so perhaps it's just build-up on the brake discs that the Gyeon actually removes (I make sure to give the disks a good coating and then ensure it's all removed after cleaning the wheels).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts