BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 2002 Automobile has some pix of the new upcoming 1-series in hatchback, coupe & the touring design. I kinda like the hatchback. it would be a good beater. the price to remain in the sub 20s, hope it stays well within that range. The only downside is it's gonnna become like a honda, eveyone will have one. Not that everyone don't have one already in the Washington DC area.

what are some of your thoughts, concerns, comments?
thanks!

LIL Raja

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I've read that it'll only come with SMG. I don't feel comfortable with the idea of SMG in city traffic. I don't think that it can be as practical as manual transmission.

But put an M engine and 6 speed manual transmission, I'm in :)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
:dunno:

Where does BMW think this car belongs? They've already got the MINI...This would either eat into the MINI's market or it'll get trumped by the MINI. It's like GM releasing all the nearly identical cars throughout their line of different brands, like the IROC-Z and Firebird...etc.

It would be interesting, if I'm not so dead set on getting the Z4 as a third car when it comes out I may consider this as the beater and my 323Ci as the weekend warrior...It'll purely depend on what my mood is if I'll even give the 1 series another thought.

It would be tempting to pick up an "M1" if that ever comes out though.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
If I were getting a car in this class, and if VW decides to bring it here, I'd want a Polo GTI. :D

I guess there is no GTI of the new model yet but at 2300lb and, say, 140ish HP (the top non-GTI already has 100) it should run circles around a MINI or a 1er for cheap.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Kaz said:
If I were getting a car in this class, and if VW decides to bring it here, I'd want a Polo GTI. :D

I guess there is no GTI of the new model yet but at 2300lb and, say, 140ish HP (the top non-GTI already has 100) it should run circles around a MINI or a 1er for cheap.
there's Lupo GTI. smaller than Polo, 125 HP at 975kg :D

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

there's Lupo GTI. smaller than Polo, 125 HP at 975kg :D
I think the Lupo is a little TOO small. And the Polo doesn't weigh that much more (1000-1100kg).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The HACK said:

Where does BMW think this car belongs? They've already got the MINI...This would either eat into the MINI's market or it'll get trumped by the MINI.
I think the current MINI line is set on stone. It is like the VW bug, attracting only a specific sector of the motoring public. Read somewhere that BMW is planning to change the current MINI after it runs out of its design life. Remember that the MINI was originally a Rover project. BMW kept it so that they can get a little more money back from the British patient fiasco. So, in terms of development of compact cars, the 1-series will be the main line.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: BMW Clone for an MB A series???

aldo said:
How is the MB A series selling? I figure it will probably fill that niche but I really can't see it being a success. It won't beat the Mini!!!
It bombed. At least in South America. MB's brand new plant in Brazil was shut down (although I heard Chrysler was going to produce engines there)... I think it did better in Europe. I see a LOT of A-class cars every time I go to the UK for example. Now, for some reason, I didn't see too many in Germany (have been there only twice though)...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The HACK said:

Where does BMW think this car belongs? They've already got the MINI...This would either eat into the MINI's market or it'll get trumped by the MINI...
I don't think so... You've seen pics of the 1-series sedan, right? Bigger car. I can see it stealing Golf/Jetta/Focus/etc sales, but not Mini sales...

Plus, I think it's safe to say that based on BMW's history in NA, if there's a slight chance it'll steal Mini sales, it will likely NOT hit our showrooms (i.e. 330i/xiT)...

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
I would most likely buy one when i replace my jetta. I love the jetta and all, but BMW is just alot more car. I dont think i could go backwards on my next car anyways, so i may be in the market whenever they have been out a couple years, and if they reach my neck of the woods

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: Re: BMW Clone for an MB A series???

ALEX325i said:

It bombed. At least in South America. MB's brand new plant in Brazil was shut down (although I heard Chrysler was going to produce engines there)... I think it did better in Europe. I see a LOT of A-class cars every time I go to the UK for example. Now, for some reason, I didn't see too many in Germany (have been there only twice though)...
I see one here in Fairfax, VA every once in a while on the George Mason University campus, with german plates.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I like it. I'd have to see it in person to tell really be able to make a decision, but it doesn't look bad at all. My wife and I are planning to lease a Jetta, but when that lease is up, we'll be looking to add a 1-Series to the family, provided that BMW can make this car in the low 20K price range, and from BMW... I doubt it, unless there are very few standard features, and a buyer must add a bunch of options, which could push the price into the 25k range. Overall I like the idea of the 1-Series, figure there will be younger buyers, as it will be cheaper than a 3, thusly building brand loyalty and after the young 20 something has moved up in the tax bracket and it's time for a new car, perhaps he/she will be thinking a 3 or a 5 Series. Only time will tell. I sure do ramble on...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts