BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
78 in a 55. Had it thrown out in court. Would have been a hefty fine, points and a big insurance hike otherwise (was 24 at the time).

G

·
105 MPH on the Capital Beltway in VA w/ a radar detector during morning rush.

Ironically, going to court for it, I got a total of $86 in fines, including court costs, and no points.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
a. Knowingly fleeing and eluding an officer (X two towns)
b. No MV Inspection
c. wreckless driving.

This was on a very bad day, and bad judgement on my motorcycle (enduro) I was not charged with speeding (but, believe me, I was speeding:D )
Happened back in 1978 when I did not know any better.

cost me....

fleeing and eluding carried 30 jail sentence (judge suspended this) 550 dollars plus court costs. Impound and towing of motorcycle 75 dollars. no inspection cost me 35 dollars. Wreckless driving cost me 225 + court costs. Plus the judge suspended my license for 1 year.

I also had to pay for damages to one of the police cars. He hit a telephone poll guide wire, while trying to turn around and chase me. My Bike was also damaged (forks and headlight) by the towing company.

Very expensive Saturday afternoon ride.....:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Geeze, CHP must charge the steepest fines in the country or something. Of the 4 tickets I've had to pay (none in the last 6 years, and all for speeding), the CHP-issued ones were all $250+ for no more than 20 over the limit. :thumbdwn:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
nate328Ci said:
$257

95 in a 70 on a rural Texas highway :mad:
Take your pick...

1) Jaywalking. I don't know if it's just the PURE INSULT factor or the fact that I forgot to pay a $50 ticket that turned into a $300 misdemeanor.

2) 90mph in a 65mph zone...Actually, I was going about 105, it was over the Grape Vine on the 5 north bound from L.A. to Bakersfield...A close family friend had just passed away and I was going to attend her funeral the next day, had so much stuff on my mind and did not spot the white, unmarked car parked on the side of the road with his headlights on until it was too late. At least the officer was polite and let me off and wrote up 90 in a 65. The speed and rate I was going it could have easily been a night in jail. :( $295 for the ticket and $120 for the traffic school...Judge was gracious enough to let me take traffic school to erase the point off my record.

·
Registered
34 Posts
61 in a 45, then 110 in a 55 four days later. When the cop asked if I knew how fast I was going, I said "no sir, the speedometer only shows up to 85mph". He didn't think it was funny.

Got both tickets dismissed with $125 lawyer fee + $350 court costs + driving school + 6 months of driving like my granny.

Couple years later I was showing off for my new girlfriend in a 300ZX by peeling out around a corner in a dark, desolate residential area. As luck would have it, there was a cop parked in front of his own house right around the corner! I got a ticket for the following:
- Excessive display of acceleration
- Wreckless driving
- No proof of insurance
- No current MVD inspection sticker
- Expired registration
(The last three were not exactly my fault, cause I was borrowing the car from a relative.) I had to take driving school (again) and had one year of successful deferred adjudication to get the moving violations dismissed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did 140 Km/h where 70Km/h was allowed..(it was a 4 lane road)
I had to pay 450$.

But Belgium is just a race track. Everybody drives to fast:)

After one year of terrorising the road... i knew i had to stop and i'm
now trying to better my life.

GReetz Raptox

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,706 Posts
The worst for me was the worst I have heard:

In 1992, I was zipping to Savannah, GA late at night in my two month old car with my girlfriend (now wife). There are a few cars sitting there to the right, and I think nothing of it until I see *IT*. The GA state patrol in the middle of the pack. I slam the brakes from 95 or so down to 65 and pull right in behind him. Radar never said a word.

I figure he'll call someone and make my life hell, so I keep it on cruise at 71mph for the rest of the trip. About an hour later, I look up and see this Mustang riding my a$$. I think about slamming the brakes to wake up the jacka$$, but just then, the guy lights up everything he's got. He's State Patrol.

I get out and, in genuine wonder, ask, "So, what'd you clock me at?" His reply, "NINE-TEE FIIVE!" I practically yelled, "BullSHIT you did! I was on cruise at 71mph!" He disagreed, I insinuated he was lying and he got testy, threatened to take me to jail if I said another word. I looked him dead in the eye and said, "One... more... word!"

So, in jail in Smalltown, GA, I called the family of the frat brother I was headed to see. Turns out that the father was old school buddies with the judge in Smalltown and he let me loose, but with a hefty line of charges and promises of an impending court date with possible jail time.

Meanwhile, I was doing some work at a Bimmer shop and they had a speedo calibration machine. Wouldn't you know that it turns out my speedo on my brand new car was incorrect and, according to the test, I really *was* going 93 when my speedo said 73? Yep. Can't trust those damn new fangled cars, I guess. Even got the test notarized by a notary (the secretary of the shop). Faxed that bad boy to the lawyer (also friends with my frat brother's dad) and got a reduced charge:

Inoperable equipment.

Still had to pay $560 in legal fees, but no points, no jail, and no court visits or jail back in Smalltown, GA.

Now, I'm not saying that it would be right to lie, have something notarized, and submitted as a legal document, nor am I suggesting that I or anyone else would ever do such a thing. But, don't you think that being framed for speeding instead of actually being CAUGHT speeding would be a good reason for it? Yeah on second thought, I don't either.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Reckless driving (pulled out in front of a copy doing a U'y) while on a suspended license... Actaully I drove on a suspended license for a year and a half cuz, as a teen at the time, I saw more important things to spend $$ than tickets. :tsk:

Anyway... earned me a court date

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
PropellerHead said:

Still had to pay $560 in legal fees, but no points, no jail, and no court visits or jail back in Smalltown, GA.
Was this Macon or Valdosta or one of those other notorious JawJaw cities on I75? There are whole tons of towns in that state that get the majority of town revenues from speeding tickets.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
PropellerHead said:
threatened to take me to jail if I said another word. I looked him dead in the eye and said, "One... more... word!"

What you were charged with is affectionately known in the 'serve and protect' community as simply "Contempt of Cop". Warrants you a trip to the pokey every time.

As for my most serious offense, it was for tailgating. No fine, no points, just traffic school as penal servitude.

IndyMike (a.k.a. Lucky Devil)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
A funny cop story from one of my dad's friends:

It was about 20 years ago. He had just bought a brand new Trans-Am and was coming home from Florida at about 3AM. He was cruising at around 85-90 MPH when he notices that he just flew past a State Trooper parked on the shoulder. He immediately swerves off the Interstate on an off-ramp and screeches into the neighbourhood coffee shop. He quickly orders a donut and some coffee. The cop comes in, and, noticing that my friend is the only person in the place that doesn't look like a trucker, walks up to him.

"Do you drive a black Ponn-ee-ack?"

"No, officer" He replies with a innocent face.

The trooper calmly looks around the shop one more time, then walks out the door and into his car. After about 5 minutes, my friend watches as the squad car pulls out of the parking lot in the corner of his eye.

"Thank God I ordered that midnight blue..."

:lmao:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts