Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Ohh I meant 750 not the b7. although I would consider a b7 too.:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Some 5 series up here run for $1300/month, the 2013 B7 up here is over $2000/month with around $10,000 down. I need to move state side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I ended up with the car after all. Will probably pick it up this afternoon. I ended up getting a bit more for my trade than expected and that closed the gap.

Couple of questions.

1. I have heard talk of the value of the tire and wheel protection policy. However, the roads that i will be driving on 90% of the time are in excellent condition with no potholes and I will probably not be using this car for trips. Should I get the policy? What sort of cost have you guys incurred for this coverage?

2. Has anyone experienced any maintenance issues on this car that are different than the standard 750i? Anything I need to look out for? The Service Manager told me there aren't any more problems with B7s than the standard 7 cars. Of course, with the low number in the US, I wouldn't expect him to see more than a dozen or so in Charlotte, NC.

I was a bit surprised to see in the owner's manual that the oil change interval is as much as 15,000 miles (monitored by the oil quality condition system according to the Service Advisor) and the oil does not have to be synthetic. Usually, turbo charged engines call for oil changes much more frequently and require synthetic oil. Regardless, the SA told me they use synthetic anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Good oil is cheap insurance. I'm not one of those 5K oil change persons, but would probably do 10K or yearly, whichever comes first.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Congratulations! I would recommend the wheel and tire insurance. I am assuming that your B7's wheels and tires are 20". If this is the case, you will likely go through tires a lot quicker due to the softer tread compounds, so tire replacements likely will be due more to tire wear than anything else. However, the reduced sidewalls could be problematic for the tires and wheels with even relatively good road surfaces and conditions. Also, current policies even cover wheel repair or replacement for curb rash. Depending on the term of the policy, expect to pay somewhere between $1100 and $1800. These policies are very negotiable based on my experience.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

I was recommended by two other B7 owners to get the tire & wheel protection plan. The rims/tires are 21" and I've heard/read a few stories where the tire is blown out from potholes more often than with 'regular' 7-series rims/tires.

I'll be getting this coverage, but I'm in LA and roads are pretty crappy around here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks, leslie and alpbmw. After mulling over the tire and wheel warranty and getting the pitch for it from the F&I guy, I decided to pass. It was $900 for five years and, naturally, offered nothing in the way of treadwear guarantees. From what I can tell, I will only be able to get about 18-20K out of a set of tires before replacement anyway. At a premium of $900, I don't get any payback on the investment until I have the third tire failure or second wheel replacement.

I had an E55 for ten years with 35 and 40 series tires on it and never had a flat (huge knock on wood here!). However, I did curb a wheel once due to my own inattention. It was fixed for the cost of a little sanding and repainting, around $150.

I can certainly see a benefit of the warranty on this car for a lot of people, though. Especially if they travel a lot or frequent areas with crappy roads as a result of heat or extreme winters and road chemicals. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with too much of either here in NC.

Loving the car so far, but the iDrive menu structure is so deep and complex that it will be a while before I get my head around it. After lots of fiddling around, I was finally able to play tunes out of my iPhone 4S, but I haven't been able to do it a second time! There is also a bunch of music on the hard drive loaded by the previous owner that I was able to access last night sitting in the garage, but I couldn't figure out how to delete it...even with the manual in my lap, and I haven't even been able to get the iDrive to get into the same music library at all this AM while on the way to work. Now, I appreciate why so many reviewers have given the iDrive system bad marks for user friendliness.

·
BMW rocks!
771 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Don't worry about the idrive, it will become second nature after a month. :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll agree with Leslie, get the tire insurance. I've had three blow outs and ALWAYS on the side wall or shoulder which proves the mobility kit even more useless then I thought it would be. I changed from the Michelin to Pirelli s with an XL rated side wall. It isn't a run flat so the ride is great, but the side wall is much tougher and I haven't had an isse in 5000m.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Highly recommend tire insurance. Have replaced LF twice and LR once in 14k miles. Both required towing and overnight in hotel.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts