BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'd do the research, but I'm leaving in a few hours and a friend I was to meet in Munich would have a much easier time if it was Salzburg. Any suggestions for things to see there, where to go/stay etc... for an over nighter or day and 1/2. We were already talking about Berchtesgaden, so that might be a possibility (then saw something to make me think it's closed right now?)... Anyway, last minute ideas please.

· Using SPF 45
3,689 Posts
e36M3r said:
Sorry, I'd do the research, but I'm leaving in a few hours and a friend I was to meet in Munich would have a much easier time if it was Salzburg. Any suggestions for things to see there, where to go/stay etc... for an over nighter or day and 1/2. We were already talking about Berchtesgaden, so that might be a possibility (then saw something to make me think it's closed right now?)... Anyway, last minute ideas please.
See the old city. You could spend a day walking around the town-the high fortress, the mirabel gardens, one of the chocolate shops, the art museum.

If you're driving there, go through berchtesgaden, and take teh boat trip on the Konigsee out to the picturesque chapel, alhtough that's nearly a half day in itself.

· Premium Member
6,573 Posts
The Sound of Music was shot in Salzburg, Austria. It is a beautiful city nestled against the foothills of the Alps. Dunno if you are familiar with Boulder, CO, but I was told is it something like that.

· Premium Member
6,573 Posts
Salzburg is also so close to Munich, you might as well pop on down! :)

· Ultimate Driving Machine
2,272 Posts
Ågent99 said:
The Sound of Music was shot in Salzburg, Austria. It is a beautiful city nestled against the foothills of the Alps. Dunno if you are familiar with Boulder, CO, but I was told is it something like that.
Do the women have hairy armpits just like Boulder too?
:rofl:

· Premium Member
6,573 Posts
TGray5 said:
Do the women have hairy armpits just like Boulder too?
:rofl:
:lmao:

Some do! But we are talking geography here, Mr. StahlGrey5 or whatever your real name is.... ;)

· Registered
670 Posts
Neat small city with a nice (yet small) old town. See the Mozart's Birthhouse. We stayed at the Goldene Ente (Golden Duck) hotel. Right in the heart of the old town: cute and cheap and friendly.
They have a nice beer. Can't remember the name now. It starts with an S.

· Registered
602 Posts
I stopped in Salzburg on my ED trip two weeks ago. It's a very nice, manageable town for a quick visit. It is NOTHING like Boulder (thank God!) Except perhaps that it is a college town. Lots of students running around and in the bars.

We stayed at the Goldener Hirsch, which was a fantastic experience but not exactly budget accommodations. They have a very nice cafe with typical austrian food and the prices are very reasonable.

If you stay in the town center the best place to park is the public parking facility built into the mountain. The entrance is on the other side of the tunnel on the road coming in from the highway. Just before the tunnel entrance you will see the entrance on the right. You go down the ramp and cross under the street and into the parking tunnel complex. It's a bit easier to park on the 'A' side.

The bar scene is hopping down on the river front. We spent the night at O'Malley's irish pub, it was excellent!

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,573 Posts
jl5555 said:
I stopped in Salzburg on my ED trip two weeks ago. It's a very nice, manageable town for a quick visit. It is NOTHING like Boulder (thank God!) Except perhaps that it is a college town. Lots of students running around and in the bars.
Well, perhaps I'll get there myself and see...I grew up near Boulder and went to grad school there so.... :)

Thanks for the pics!

ED on March 23!!! :bigpimp:

· Using SPF 45
3,689 Posts
jl5555 said:
We spent the night at O'Malley's irish pub, it was excellent!
While I agree that Salzburg is great, there's something criminal about spending time anywhere within 300 miles of Germany in anything buy a German bar.

· Registered
163 Posts
Have a great trip

e36M3r said:
Thanks everyone... what a GREAT BOARD THIS IS. I'm leaving for the airport in 5 minutes... talk to you from Munich!!
Sorry I can't join you all for the 17th as I'll be flying then (arriving 18th morning).

Ihave great memories of Salzburg, although I haven't been there for years.

Beer gardens will not I assume be functioning at this time of year but I would guess they have some indoor equivalent for winter. I remember having a wonderful lunch at a big gothic building (looked like a church) on the west side of the river across from the center of the city, and overlooking it, that was a brewery and had many small stores to buy lunch items in (to go to the beer garden with), bread, cold cuts etc.

Also check out the wonderful little village south-west called Gossau, on the shores of Gosausee (lake). Very charming.

· Registered
602 Posts
Tanning machine said:
While I agree that Salzburg is great, there's something criminal about spending time anywhere within 300 miles of Germany in anything buy a German bar.
You're joking, right?? You find me a fun german bar and I'll join you there. And not to rain on the tourist perception about german beer being good. But bleh, I can only stand so much pilsen type beer. The action to be had was not at any german type bar. The young people wouldn't be caught dead in such a place. In both Salzburg and Vienna the irish pubs were THE place to be for some fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.