BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 325xi. A little window fog. Defroster blasts ultra-hot air. The auto climate control setting has no effect. That little red-to-blue adjustor has no effect.

Am I failing to appreiciate the impecible German design of a BMW, and have to learn to appriciate that 180 deg air is good

or do I have a defect

or is there some other obscure defroster temp control I don;t know how to work?

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
RubADub said:
2005 325xi. A little window fog. Defroster blasts ultra-hot air. The auto climate control setting has no effect. That little red-to-blue adjustor has no effect.

Am I failing to appreiciate the impecible German design of a BMW, and have to learn to appriciate that 180 deg air is good

or do I have a defect

or is there some other obscure defroster temp control I don;t know how to work?
nope, that's it... my dealer explained to me that they figure if you have frost/fog at 100 on the autobahn its pretty much a stat issue...

:dunno:

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
The defroster is meant for quick defrosting. Afterwards use the A/C compressor to keep the windows clear, even when the heat is on.

The red/blue thing affects the air flowing from the center outlets only. I dial in red only during cold weather after initial start-up to warm up the interior as quickly as possible. After that, the climate control gets cooking, and blue lets in cold/fresh air to keep it from overcooking.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
As explained on bmw.com, the auto climate control vents cool air to the upper body and warm air to the lower body, leaving the driver with a more comfortable environment. If you want, the knob is to override the auto climate controls and diverts whichever type of air you wish. After using it as much as I have in the last few months, it turns out to be very intuitive and a good design, albeit at first it does seem incredibly odd to have one in an auto climate control setting.

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
RubADub said:
Why have a manual hot-cold adjust when you have "automatic" temp control??
It "allows you to mix the air from the
outlets for your upper body by warming or cooling the air as desired," according to the manual.

Yeah, I know. It seemed strange to me at first, too. However, having that level of control on top of the auto climate system is something I've come to appreciate. It works well.

During winter, the combination of cooling the upper body while heating the rest of the interior works great after the car's warmed up. And being able to turn the A/C compressor on manually works great for dehumidification--i.e., keeping condensation off windows.​

·
Shakin' and Bakin'
92 Posts
Once the windows are cleared from the initial blast, just turning on the manual air control for the windows and setting the fan speed for a gentle breeze will keep the windows fog-free. It's a little scary when you first turn on that defroster though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.