BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Placed an order for a 530 Xdrive since July, My Garage still showing Started production.
Wondering what;s your wait time is with the supply chain issues this year.

·
Sandlapper
2022 BMW M8 Competition
209 Posts
Placed an order for a 530 Xdrive since July, My Garage still showing Started production.
Ordered my 2022 M8 Competition 30 June. Took delivery today, 11 October

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
Every order a dealer places has a SPECIFIC pre-defined production date (or more precisely a production week). When you place an order with a dealer THEY get to decide which week to ‘give’ you. BMWNA doesn’t, the dealer does.

What production week did your dealer give you?

And, FWIW, dealers have been known to not give people a defined date, just roll the order around, pushing it off….

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting....this is what my sales rep told me after submitted the order: "It has a tentative build date of end-of-September but that usually jumps the line when a client's name is attached."
Just out of curiousity, why would the dealer want to roll the order around and push it off? WOuldn;t the sales rep wanted the order to be done sooner and get their commission?
Thanks for the info btw!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Interesting....this is what my sales rep told me after submitted the order: "It has a tentative build date of end-of-September but that usually jumps the line when a client's name is attached."
Just out of curiousity, why would the dealer want to roll the order around and push it off? WOuldn;t the sales rep wanted the order to be done sooner and get their commission?
Thanks for the info btw!
There's a few factors:

(1.) Each dealer gets a set number of allocations from BMWNA for upcoming builds - so if all of them are already used up on other customers and you come in, they'll "sell" you a car even though they don't actually have an allocation, since they'd don't want to lose your business. They'll just make up some BS, tell you it's all good, and then give you an allocation when they get one next month ... or not.

(2.) Let's say the dealer puts your name on their last allocation for that month and then a new customer comes in and agrees to pay a $10k ADM if the dealer can deliver the car in 30 days. Guess who's allocation they're going to give to the new customer? yours!

So how do you prevent this?

You ask the dealer for the Production Number of your order, and also to print out the Vehicle Inquiry for you (which'll show your PN, your config, etc). Now that you have that you can go onto mygarage.bmwusa.com, input your order number, and validate your config. You can also call the 1844 4genius number, give them your production number, and get a specific build week and eventually day (your dealer can tell you this too)

If you don't have a production number - i.e., the dealer knows you don't know what's yours - then the dealer will feel free to push you into allocations/delivery dates if they get better/higher paying customers.

·
Registered
2019 X1
87 Posts
Is it status 112 or 150? 112 means it is slotted for production, but you can still modify the build. 150 means your build is locked and it will get built - it should not be more than a couple of weeks between 150 and 155 (quality check, assembly finish, or similar). Your dealer's status report shows the status number. The genius line can tell you, too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a few factors:

(1.) Each dealer gets a set number of allocations from BMWNA for upcoming builds - so if all of them are already used up on other customers and you come in, they'll "sell" you a car even though they don't actually have an allocation, since they'd don't want to lose your business. They'll just make up some BS, tell you it's all good, and then give you an allocation when they get one next month ... or not.

(2.) Let's say the dealer puts your name on their last allocation for that month and then a new customer comes in and agrees to pay a $10k ADM if the dealer can deliver the car in 30 days. Guess who's allocation they're going to give to the new customer? yours!

So how do you prevent this?

You ask the dealer for the Production Number of your order, and also to print out the Vehicle Inquiry for you (which'll show your PN, your config, etc). Now that you have that you can go onto mygarage.bmwusa.com, input your order number, and validate your config. You can also call the 1844 4genius number, give them your production number, and get a specific build week and eventually day (your dealer can tell you this too)

If you don't have a production number - i.e., the dealer knows you don't know what's yours - then the dealer will feel free to push you into allocations/delivery dates if they get better/higher paying customers.
Ok, that makes sense!

Called the 844 4Genius number, they didnt need the production number, only asked for the VIN#. Couldn;t find any info of the vehicle! But in Mybmw, i managed to see that it vehicle in my account, status Prodcution began.

Yes, the sales rep did provide me with the Vehicle inquiry after order was placed. Not sure whats going on now, but will have to wait and see.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it status 112 or 150? 112 means it is slotted for production, but you can still modify the build. 150 means your build is locked and it will get built - it should not be more than a couple of weeks between 150 and 155 (quality check, assembly finish, or similar). Your dealer's status report shows the status number. The genius line can tell you, too.
I don't know whether its 112 or 150 since i cant see that info fro mybmw. It is the 3rd stage , Production Began.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just ordered a 2022 M5 Comp on September 17, 2021 from a dealer that had one allocation slot, it was done with production on October 4, 2021 and at the port as I type this post. Getting a little impatient here :p

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
Ok, that makes sense!

Called the 844 4Genius number, they didnt need the production number, only asked for the VIN#. Couldn;t find any info of the vehicle! But in Mybmw, i managed to see that it vehicle in my account, status Production began.

Yes, the sales rep did provide me with the Vehicle inquiry after order was placed. Not sure whats going on now, but will have to wait and see.
Thanks for your input!
Grusgott laid it out quite well.... PLEASE do not be passive here, it is easy to get screwed.

You should understand that YOU are not a customer of BMWs. You are a customer of the dealership....the dealer is in fact BMWs customer. BMW is selling the car to the dealer and they are selling it to you. Maybe, Eventually.

As a result, BMWNA is very circumspect about providing you with info that may go counter to whatever game the dealer is playing. Hence ONLY THE DEALER has the info you need. Not 'My Bmw" and not "the genius line". This it not to be underestimated, this system is designed to make you FEEL like you are buying it from BMW, but there are significant protections that keep us from knowing what is really going on.

Call the dealer tell them "I need the production week you have assigned (or will assign) for my order". Dont hang up until they do, if they cant, that means they havent assigned one to you. IMO

You asked 'why would the sales rep do this'... lots of reasons: they are clueless. They would love to sell it to you but other sales rep(s) with more 'juice' are getting their orders filled....the sales manager figures they can rope-a-dope you for a while, filling orders for folks paying more....

I recall a thread in the last year where a member here got screwed by a dealer for months, until it was too late- car production closed and he was screwed.....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
In 2002 I was hunting for an E39M5. Asked a dealer what their wait list was like. "Pretty bad right now, at MSRP it will be 6 months at least". I paused, then asked "what about $10k over".

He said "you'd be next in line"

It turns out that the waiting list wasn't arranged based on WHEN you ordered....it was sorted based on HOW MUCH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In 2002 I was hunting for an E39M5. Asked a dealer what their wait list was like. "Pretty bad right now, at MSRP it will be 6 months at least". I paused, then asked "what about $10k over".

He said "you'd be next in line"

It turns out that the waiting list wasn't arranged based on WHEN you ordered....it was sorted based on HOW MUCH.
"Every man has a price, just need to find out the price" guess that's what you experienced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grusgott laid it out quite well.... PLEASE do not be passive here, it is easy to get screwed.

You should understand that YOU are not a customer of BMWs. You are a customer of the dealership....the dealer is in fact BMWs customer. BMW is selling the car to the dealer and they are selling it to you. Maybe, Eventually.

As a result, BMWNA is very circumspect about providing you with info that may go counter to whatever game the dealer is playing. Hence ONLY THE DEALER has the info you need. Not 'My Bmw" and not "the genius line". This it not to be underestimated, this system is designed to make you FEEL like you are buying it from BMW, but there are significant protections that keep us from knowing what is really going on.

Call the dealer tell them "I need the production week you have assigned (or will assign) for my order". Dont hang up until they do, if they cant, that means they havent assigned one to you. IMO

You asked 'why would the sales rep do this'... lots of reasons: they are clueless. They would love to sell it to you but other sales rep(s) with more 'juice' are getting their orders filled....the sales manager figures they can rope-a-dope you for a while, filling orders for folks paying more....

I recall a thread in the last year where a member here got screwed by a dealer for months, until it was too late- car production closed and he was screwed.....
You're right! I called the genius hotline and they couldn;t find the vehicle ! o_O
Called my sale rep, and she told me dont bother to call that hotline. But reassured me that my car was moved into production (in que) as of 10/7. It matches Mybmw tracker....i can only hope for the best coz im not gonna pay over the msrp just to get it sooner.
Thanks for your input and advise!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're right! I called the genius hotline and they couldn;t find the vehicle ! o_O
Called my sale rep, and she told me dont bother to call that hotline. But reassured me that my car was moved into production (in que) as of 10/7. It matches Mybmw tracker....i can only hope for the best coz im not gonna pay over the msrp just to get it sooner.
Thanks for your input and advise!
Btw, she did provide me the production week when i palced the order, it was en of September. But she also said it could be a little off due to the supply chain issues.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ok, that makes sense!

Called the 844 4Genius number, they didnt need the production number, only asked for the VIN#.
If you have a VIN you're in the production queue, but the reason they can't find anything out about it is because technically that VIN isn't a built vehicle yet, it's just been assigned to BE built - that's why you use the production number!

The genius lines can be clueless, but if you call them, ONLY give them the production number ("I don't have a vin") you can usually get your build day and a detailed status, but you have to get the right person.

I'm guessing you got the VIN from mygarage.bmwusa.com? Basically it means you're vehicle is status 150, i.e., in the production queue and/or being produced. Typically - depending - that's take 7-10 days to see any updates (the vehicle takes 1 day to get built, but the time between 150 and built is usually ~10 days ... plan on 14.

But, again, if you're getting the vin from the mygarage site, then just be aware it's not yet an active VIN and won't work as input on any BMW system (e.g., if you try to download your owners manual by inputting your VIN it won't recognize your VIN)

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you have a VIN you're in the production queue, but the reason they can't find anything out about it is because technically that VIN isn't a built vehicle yet, it's just been assigned to BE built - that's why you use the production number!

The genius lines can be clueless, but if you call them, ONLY give them the production number ("I don't have a vin") you can usually get your build day and a detailed status, but you have to get the right person.

I'm guessing you got the VIN from mygarage.bmwusa.com? Basically it means you're vehicle is status 150, i.e., in the production queue and/or being produced. Typically - depending - that's take 7-10 days to see any updates (the vehicle takes 1 day to get built, but the time between 150 and built is usually ~10 days ... plan on 14.

But, again, if you're getting the vin from the mygarage site, then just be aware it's not yet an active VIN and won't work as input on any BMW system (e.g., if you try to download your owners manual by inputting your VIN it won't recognize your VIN)
Fun update: Today is exactly 10 days from when my vehicle first went into "production begins", i.e., Status 150. Today it's at "Entering assembly line" which means the body has bonded & welded (~6 hours), the body has been painted (5 coats, ~12hours), and now it's going down the line to have all the stuff installed in the interior and then "marriage" where they mate the body of the car to the suspension/engine/chassis.

Here's an old status list I have relative to the Munich lines so may not perfectly align to Spartanburg

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. — Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit (where my car was stalled)
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival — ATA

·
Registered
2019 X1
87 Posts
They now often refer to 155 as "quality check" - at least for Spartanburg.

Personally, I have had good luck with the Genius line. I have not found them clueless or hiding information. They have told me exactly where I was in the process and were correct (it was confirmed by my CA, who also sent me screen shots from his updates).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts