BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you have a VIN you're in the production queue, but the reason they can't find anything out about it is because technically that VIN isn't a built vehicle yet, it's just been assigned to BE built - that's why you use the production number!

The genius lines can be clueless, but if you call them, ONLY give them the production number ("I don't have a vin") you can usually get your build day and a detailed status, but you have to get the right person.

I'm guessing you got the VIN from mygarage.bmwusa.com? Basically it means you're vehicle is status 150, i.e., in the production queue and/or being produced. Typically - depending - that's take 7-10 days to see any updates (the vehicle takes 1 day to get built, but the time between 150 and built is usually ~10 days ... plan on 14.

But, again, if you're getting the vin from the mygarage site, then just be aware it's not yet an active VIN and won't work as input on any BMW system (e.g., if you try to download your owners manual by inputting your VIN it won't recognize your VIN)
I guess it was my luck. The guy on Genius line insisted he only need the Vin # not the production number when i offered. Ok, it has been only 6 days since the status was moved into production begins, will wait a few more days and hopefully that get moved into exterior body assemby...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fun update: Today is exactly 10 days from when my vehicle first went into "production begins", i.e., Status 150. Today it's at "Entering assembly line" which means the body has bonded & welded (~6 hours), the body has been painted (5 coats, ~12hours), and now it's going down the line to have all the stuff installed in the interior and then "marriage" where they mate the body of the car to the suspension/engine/chassis.

Here's an old status list I have relative to the Munich lines so may not perfectly align to Spartanburg

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. — Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit (where my car was stalled)
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival — ATA
My status was at 111 since July 30th :LOL:,and 112 since August. 150 since Oct 7t. Will just have to wait and see.
Thanks as always for your info. And good luck with your order!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They now often refer to 155 as "quality check" - at least for Spartanburg.

Personally, I have had good luck with the Genius line. I have not found them clueless or hiding information. They have told me exactly where I was in the process and were correct (it was confirmed by my CA, who also sent me screen shots from his updates).
I guess depends on who you got on the line. Don;t think the guy tried to hide anything, but he sounded clueless...just my luck :(

·
Registered
767 Posts
My status was at 111 since July 30th :LOL:,and 112 since August. 150 since Oct 7t. Will just have to wait and see.
Thanks as always for your info. And good luck with your order!
Definitely plan on a minimum of 10 days to move off of status 150, i.e., Oct 17th. Status 111/112 are kinda meaningless to the timeline, it's status 150 that's the key - which it sounds like you have. Thus you shouldn't expect to see anything until Oct 17/18th. There's roughly 10 people I've heard from with Sept/Oct builds and 100% of them are 150->153 in 10 days.

Reactions: phen88

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Definitely plan on a minimum of 10 days to move off of status 150, i.e., Oct 17th. Status 111/112 are kinda meaningless to the timeline, it's status 150 that's the key - which it sounds like you have. Thus you shouldn't expect to see anything until Oct 17/18th. There's roughly 10 people I've heard from with Sept/Oct builds and 100% of them are 150->153 in 10 days.
🤞🤞🤞 i will keep you posted!

·
Registered
2019 X1
87 Posts
It's very, very common to just jump from 150 to 155 (quality check or assembly finish or final assemly) and not see all the steps in between. And it is generally 10-11 days. You might get lucky, as some others have, and see the steps in between. Although I am thinking that depends on the factory your build is at, and what kind of reporting they do. But 150 is key. Your new vehicle actually is being made now.

·
Registered
767 Posts
It's very, very common to just jump from 150 to 155 (quality check or assembly finish or final assemly) and not see all the steps in between. And it is generally 10-11 days. You might get lucky, as some others have, and see the steps in between. Although I am thinking that depends on the factory your build is at, and what kind of reporting they do. But 150 is key. Your new vehicle actually is being made now.
Yeah those are great points, and I'd also add what your build is. All of my previous bimmers were built at Regensburg and there it was status 112 to done ... my current vehicle is being built at Spartanburg and they seem to have different procedures ...

For example, when the VIN is assigned. Previously the VIN happened sometime during the build so I wouldn't get it until the vehicle was done basically, but now they assigned the VIN as soon as the vehicle went into Status 150, but 10 days prior to the Body Shop. I have no idea if that's a whole new process overall, or just Spartanburg or just now.

Anyway, it's interesting to see if there are variations ...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For my 2014 535dx M-Sport:
  • Order entered on July 1, 2013, a little over 24 hours after the new d models first appeared on BMW USA's website. I was watching and waiting to pounce on the opportunity the moment it presented itself. Production started almost immediately.
  • The build was completed about 2 weeks later and spent another 2 weeks going through all of its quality checks before leaving the factory.
  • The car then spent about a week at the port waiting for enough cars to load onto the container ship.
  • It took about a week to come across the pond to the port of entry in NJ. The car arrived at the port on a Friday and it arrived at my BMW dealer the following Tuesday afternoon. My dealer is Tulley BMW in Nashua, NH. No time was wasted in getting the car from the port to my BMW dealer.
  • Took delivery on Wednesday August 14, 2013.

Ordered July 1, 2013.
Delivered August 14, 2013.
I was told to expect 8 weeks but it took around 6 1/2 weeks.

My dealer was allocated only ONE of these cars and it's MINE! It was the first 535dx my BMW dealer ever sold, the first 535dx registered in NH, probably the first in the New England state region, and among the first batch of them in the country.

Now at only 162k miles on it and climbing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For example, when the VIN is assigned. Previously the VIN happened sometime during the build so I wouldn't get it until the vehicle was done basically, but now they assigned the VIN as soon as the vehicle went into Status 150, but 10 days prior to the Body Shop. I have no idea if that's a whole new process overall, or just Spartanburg or just now.
Our vehicle was built in Graz, Austria. It acquired its VIN number when it went to Status 150 on September 16.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,522 Posts

Personally, I have had good luck with the Genius line. I have not found them clueless or hiding information. They have told me exactly where I was in the process and were correct (it was confirmed by my CA, who also sent me screen shots from his updates).
Well when the dealer (perhaps unbeknownst to the salesperson) is playing games with the actual production slot, the Genius line isnt going to be a help....

Sure once it is in production, and the information that is- by design- shielded from disclosure has passed, then they can be useful.

Show of hands: how many people have seen their production weeks "jump around" without any notice to the dealer, due to 'covid and supply chain' issues?!? Yes, there are issues- but BMW lets dealers know, it isnt the black box this salesrep seems to be painting.

JMO

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,522 Posts

·
Registered
2019 X1
87 Posts
Well when the dealer (perhaps unbeknownst to the salesperson) is playing games with the actual production slot, the Genius line isnt going to be a help....

Sure once it is in production, and the information that is- by design- shielded from disclosure has passed, then they can be useful.

Show of hands: how many people have seen their production weeks "jump around" without any notice to the dealer, due to 'covid and supply chain' issues?!? Yes, there are issues- but BMW lets dealers know, it isnt the black box this salesrep seems to be painting.

JMO
Oh sure - stuff happens all the time. I don't doubt you or it. Thankfully I have not had that experience. I just don't think they are all out to play games, but the current times are probably causing more games to be played.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,004 Posts

My 540i (built at Graz, Austria), has been in 155 status, production complete/quality check, for 4 weeks. There is no "stop sale" or other flagging on the order. Waiting for details on the actual delay. Another forum member noted that her M440i was in quality check phase for 3 weeks, then moved to shipping. I don't see how the other poster's M5 got through production and shipping in 4 weeks, but that is pretty much "normal" timing with a little luck at hitting the process gates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dealer had an M550i on order for their stock that was in status 112. We tweaked the options and color and closed the deal on September 28. On October 5, the MyBMW site showed that it entered the production queue, status 150. It has been there ever since according to the website. I call the genius line yesterday and they told me it was scheduled to be completed on October 22. I am not sure if that is before or after quality checks.

The genius also told me to expect it to sit at the port for at least a week or more prior to being loaded on the ship. I asked him what the chances were I would see it by Christmas and he said that would be very likely. There could be many delays over the next few weeks but I am hopeful.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,004 Posts
My dealer had an M550i on order for their stock that was in status 112. We tweaked the options and color and closed the deal on September 28. On October 5, the MyBMW site showed that it entered the production queue, status 150. It has been there ever since according to the website. I call the genius line yesterday and they told me it was scheduled to be completed on October 22. I am not sure if that is before or after quality checks.

The genius also told me to expect it to sit at the port for at least a week or more prior to being loaded on the ship. I asked him what the chances were I would see it by Christmas and he said that would be very likely. There could be many delays over the next few weeks but I am hopeful.
My production completed on its estimated day, 9/16, after being updated from 9/4. That is 155 status, which online, is called Quality Check. The car is basically built at that point, and usually proceeds to shipping very quickly. As noted, mine has been in 155 for just over 4 weeks now. Something is going on but I have not yet been able to get an actual reason rather than an assumption (i.e., "general delay").

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My 540i (built at Graz, Austria), has been in 155 status, production complete/quality check, for 4 weeks. There is no "stop sale" or other flagging on the order. Waiting for details on the actual delay. Another forum member noted that her M440i was in quality check phase for 3 weeks, then moved to shipping. I don't see how the other poster's M5 got through production and shipping in 4 weeks, but that is pretty much "normal" timing with a little luck at hitting the process gates.
Any movements with your 540i?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Called the Genius again this morning, with better luck. That agent was able to track my vehicle this time. Said went into production on 10/7, same as what my sales rep told me. And is expected to complete by the 28th. He said usually it takes about 2 weeks, but not sure why mine is 3 weeks. He also mentioned that once it is completed, the car is pretty much ready for shipping when i asked him to confirm....
not sure if the estimated copletion date of the 28th includes the Quality check etc...
anyways, nothing i can do now except to wait and hope for the best.
Will update once i hear any.
Good lcuk everyone.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts