BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F*cking wheel almost came off my car! All the bolts on one side loosened up! Bolts that I ordered from ECS for my 10mm spacers were too short so I used the ones from my 15mm spacers. Seemed to fit tight and I torqued them properly. Argh!!!

·
im the boss
262 Posts
ehh.. that sucks. how long were they on for until this happened. i guess it's a good idea to check them once a month or so with spacers or so i heard. but i never done that and havent had any issues. hopefully it doesn't keep happening or happens to any other wheels

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On about a week! One bolt was barely hanging on. Never happened before

·
David
3,550 Posts
I think it may be recommended to re-torque after the first 100 or so miles of putting on new wheels. I checked mine a few times after putting them on and they had loosened up.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Sorry to hear! But excellent comedic timing. A topic just got posted where a car was impounded because they said the rim could fly on kill someone. Then ya post this. But on a real note, I'm glad it didn't come of and that nobody was hurt!!

·
im the boss
262 Posts
Sorry to hear! But excellent comedic timing. A topic just got posted where a car was impounded because they said the rim could fly on kill someone. Then ya post this. But on a real note, I'm glad it didn't come of and that nobody was hurt!!
haha that's just police stereotyping

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wow. So glad you discovered it before you had problems.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You are supposed to re-torque after 100 miles or so but I used spacers and longer bolts on all four wheels of my 5er and never had any come loose. Something ain't right if they need to be checked every week/month...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts