BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 1999 528i Sport with 59K miles on it. Each spring I change into my 19" ATS rims and Yoko wheels (2nd season). I've never been satisified with the uneven whine and slight shudder each time I get these wheels balanced (every spring.)

The rims are from ATS, a high quality Germany Racing company. Since I have more rim than tire, I've heard these thin wall tires are very hard to balance. Note that I do not have weights placed on the outside but have them center weighted.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? My wheel house has the standard wheel spinner but watching it in process noted that only for a very short time it spins up to 50-60 mph. They re-weight the rim and re-spin it once.

I've also heard that the lock nut is slight heavier and can throw the balance off against the other 4 lug nuts.

I've also heard that there are tire contact roller wheel balancing machines for more performance balancing.

Any replys are appreciated on this subject.

regards,

Rondel in Minny:dunno:

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Does anyone out there have any suggestions? My wheel house has the standard wheel spinner but watching it in process noted that only for a very short time it spins up to 50-60 mph. They re-weight the rim and re-spin it once.

I've also heard that the lock nut is slight heavier and can throw the balance off against the other 4 lug nuts.

I've also heard that there are tire contact roller wheel balancing machines for more performance balancing.

Any replys are appreciated on this subject.

regards,

Rondel in Minny:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Many places have dynamic (spin) balance machines but only a few have them correctly calibrated and have someone that knows what they are doing.

The lock nut will not throw the balance off.

Roller machines are good if they are agaian calibrated and have a qualified operator, not the lowest paid guy in the shop. But personally I do not believe you need that.

I have found that BMW dealer's shops do a good job. They have to or they would have their customers lined up out the door.

I would use a dealer or a top end independent shop in your area but only if they came highly rated. You will pay more at a dealer but you will get a good balance job that will last the life of the tire assuming the tire wears evenly.

·
E39 ****
118 Posts
franka said:
Many places have dynamic (spin) balance machines but only a few have them correctly calibrated and have someone that knows what they are doing.

The lock nut will not throw the balance off.

Roller machines are good if they are agaian calibrated and have a qualified operator, not the lowest paid guy in the shop. But personally I do not believe you need that.

I have found that BMW dealer's shops do a good job. They have to or they would have their customers lined up out the door.

I would use a dealer or a top end independent shop in your area but only if they came highly rated. You will pay more at a dealer but you will get a good balance job that will last the life of the tire assuming the tire wears evenly.
Aureelly??? FYI - The BMW dealer who sold me my CPO'd 2002 530i has my car back for the THIRD time to balance it's tires and/or straighten out it's wheels. Grrrrr.....

Well, my new (used) car may have a vibration at highway speeds, but at least the battery died! :D

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
PixMan said:
Aureelly??? FYI - The BMW dealer who sold me my CPO'd 2002 530i has my car back for the THIRD time to balance it's tires and/or straighten out it's wheels. Grrrrr.....

Well, my new (used) car may have a vibration at highway speeds, but at least the battery died! :D
Thats too bad, that your dealer can't balance a tire. They probably have some monkey doing it.

I guess I'm fortunate to have a shop that always has done a good job and that I can count on even if high. It's about $ 90 at the stealer to mount and balance 4.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
gtx510 said:
If they're high or if you're high? I'm confused?
A shop I can count on even if their prices are high.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, guys, finally got those 19" Yokohamas balanced. Got it done on a force pressure spin balancer; Discount tries did it for free but you out there have to ask for the force balance; it's usually extra about $15-$20 per tire more3 than the standard spin. But here''s the real scoop. If you're running wider tires or you have lots 'o rim and small side walls as I do; BMWs trend to cup the tires on the insides due to the angle of the wheels (you must have noted those angled wheels when admiring your undercarriage!); after a season or two on those softer performance tires, you should actually reverse the tires from the left side to the right side (yes, off the rim and onto the other side!); Now they're pure heaven again and no whine. My tire guys says keep them up to right pressure (mine are 41 lbs) and buy a digital tire pressure guage.

All for now and hope this helps all out there with getting a quieter, smooth and DEAD FLAT ride! Nothing better than that!

regards,

Rondel in Minny

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Dead Flat ????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.