BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Bored Worker
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:So I had an incident last week that could have easily taken my life. The Axle Nut on my passenger side rear hub somehow worked itself loose, well actually it came completely off.. The rear hub then proceeded to colide with the brake caliper. I pulled to the side of the road safely and discovered the axle nut was off... At first I thought it was the caliper sticking, so I drove about 3 miles until I realized that the grinding noise was worse when turning... The caliper was the only thing holding my rear hub on. SCARY!

Now to the problem, I tightened the nut back up, but I assume the crazy angle the rear wheel must have been on has damaged my rear bearing. Starting at 25mph I get an unbearably loud roar from the back end. I have a 2 hour commute (combined) and the sound is unbearable, it is so loud and droning (waa waa waa waa waa waa waa) that I almost lost my marbles on the way home after a long day at the office...

I have to get this fixed. Does anyone know how much 1 side will cost to have repaired by a BMW specific shop? i read the "sticky" about noises from the rear, but there was no actual costs listed..

· Too soon Junior
3,260 Posts
I had a front wheel bearing replaced and it came to $400. Don't know if it would be the same but I would assume yes. That's just a ballpark though as it all depends where you take it, among other things.

· Bored Worker
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that is the case I will sell the car and buy another one...

· Too soon Junior
3,260 Posts
You could give it a shot yourself if you're any good with DIY...I have heard however that it is an excruciating task to tackle.

Do not drive it the way it is now.

· Bored Worker
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I need to worry about it locking up? or completely coming apart?

· Search Button Upper Right
2,272 Posts
It isn't that hard. Especially if yours is going to be that easy to dismantle. Just source the part for cheap, I'm sure you can find it for around 200 or under, and do it yourself :thumbup:

· Bored Worker
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bearing is like $30.. its a matter of the $250 puller, seals ect.

· Bored Worker
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sold the 318i Bought this to replace it. (fixed that thx for the heads up)

· Registered
362 Posts
I had my left rear bearing replaced last month at and indy mechanic. It hadn't come apart, but he had a hard time getting it out. He only charged me his estimate of $225. I was pleased with that after seeing how much of a PITA they are. Good luck!

· The Canadian Prick.
13,061 Posts
A few months ago I had to replace my rear pax bearing. It cost me $330 (CDN). If you try to DIY be warned: drive axle bearing need to be pressed on.

Good Luck.

· The Dakar Dream
875 Posts
Cant believe ur still trying to drive on it :tsk:

· Bored Worker
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not driving on it.. never said i was. But I do need to get it to a shop.

· Resident Pilot
1,782 Posts
i read the "sticky" about noises from the rear, but there was no actual costs listed..
DIY GUYS: This fix is time-consuming and expensive! The tool to remove and press the bearings is around $250 itself. The bearings are around $30 each. If you have a while (and the patience!!) to do this job, this is your best option. You can do both bearings on the rear axle for the price of what most garages charge for one. Expect hang-ups if your car has not had much service in the rear. Frozen bolts, hubs and rotors all slow progress and are a general pain. Once you get it done, however, your car will sound like new again. The tool and parts are available at Pelican Parts (they have the best prices on this job, believe you me!).
You will need:
2 RWBs, 2 Circlips, 2 New Rotor Screws (one-use part, don't re-use the old one!) and the bearing press.
A Bentley Manual is an absolute must! If you don't have one, PM me and I'll send you my write-up with alternatives, should one of the options not work.

NON-DIY GUYS: This fix is expensive! Expect the shop to charge around $300-350 (that's at independent shops). It will be a bit less on the second bearing if you're getting both done. BE AWARE that some BMW specialty shops may try and screw you. One BMW shop that I trusted quoted me at 7 hours of labour, plus over-priced parts, so watch yourself. I could've gotten the job done in 1 hour a side if I had a lift and shop tools. Seven is about what it took me in the end with socket wrenches, jack stands and a rubber mallet.
You sure about that?

· Resident Pilot
1,782 Posts
It'll vary shop to shop, so I put around. If I put $362.07, it might be misleading for someone who goes anywhere other than the shop I went to...in Virginia, in Christiansburg, on South Main Street.

While we're at it, can someone give me the actual cost of a 325is?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.