BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm pretty new here, this being my second post and all (the first was over at the introduction section) and I had a Wheel care question.

I have a 2004 330Ci ZHP that I just recently purchased and it truly is a wonderful car. I was recently getting it detailed and discussing the car with my detailer when he pointed out the trouble he had in getting the wheels clean. Apparently the previous owner(s) decided to de-grease the wheels, but instead of immediately taking care of business with that, they left it on there, thus now uglifying MY wheels. Any suggestions on how to properly clean these beauties?

http://picasaweb.google.com/charlie.mccracken/2004BMW330CiZHP/photo#5097309231129859666

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Congrats on the car, it's beautiful.

This probably ought to get moved to the detailing section but here are a few thoughts: Detailers usually know all the cool tricks, but acetone comes to mind. I'd also try more degreaser (WD40 and stronger) followed by proper removal and treatment.

If that still doesn't work, perhaps some light to medium rubbing compound followed by a good polishing.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
Get some Castrol Heavy-Duty Degreaser (black & purple spray bottle) and spray it on like 1/4 of the wheel at a time....leave it on for *no more than 20 seconds*, then use a brush & hot soapy water (whatever product you use to wash your car is OK) and scrub the wheel, then rinse thoroughly. If that does`nt remove the crud, there`s a good possibility that it`s etched into the paint, and the wheels might need repainting.Good luck !

Regards,
Bob

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Welcome!

Having struggled with the ZHP wheels for over 2 years, I feel your pain. It's hard to tell from the picture if the flaws are on the surface, or are the result of finish being removed by the previous owner's degreasing solution.

If it's on the surface, I'd first start with Klasse All-In-One which is a very mild chemical cleaner/sealant. It's a great cleaner. You will need a lot of elbow grease.

If that doesn't work, as recommended, start with other polishing compounds, mild to wild order. I use Sonus, but similar products could work.

Once you have them bright silver again, do yourself a massive favor and apply Rejex as directed. Two coats with at least 12 hours of cure time between them, then another 12 hours before you drive the car again. If you don't wait, you might as well not even do it. Cure time is very important! Front, back, and between the spokes. Then do this every 6 months and you'll be able to just sponge off brake dust with no scrubbing.

The prep work will take the most time, but will be well worth it.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
My wheels always look like that after about 3 days of driving :).

Here's my wheel cleaning procedure (google video link):

I've got a dedicated wash mitt for the wheels.

If just car wash solution + elbow grease doesn't work, I'd try adding a bit of Simple Green to the solution. It's slightly acidic and not great for the clear coat, so use as little as possible.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Then do this every 6 months and you'll be able to just sponge off brake dust with no scrubbing.
I haven't tried Rejex yet, but I never need to scrub. Maybe it's just because I diligently wash my car and wheels once a week, I don't know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the help, I appreciate it. A lot of good ideas. Once the heat dies down a bit today (supposed to be 110), i'll head on out and try one of the non-scrubbing ones first, and then go from there. Again, thanks for the help :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts