BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
---------
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't you think that the wheel design in my old 2000 Pontiac Grand Am is more interesting than the designs in E90? Before you start laughing at this comparison, I just want to say that I am indeed going to buy E90 and alike you I believe in superiority of BMW over many other cars. I just know I will feel nostalgic when I think about the wheels when I sell my old car :)

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Although the new design of E90's wheels is just look ok to me (North American version), but the answer is no.

·
Drives cars for a living!
3,935 Posts
No offense to your old Pontiac, but I really hate non-geometric patterned wheels. I always complain to the designers when a prototype car shows up with some sort of spiral or angled pattern on the wheels. I tend to like a patern that looks the same on both sides of the car. As an example, your Pontiac may look good on the driver's side of the car, but the pattern flows in the opposite direction on the passenger side and never looks right. That is why I tend to stick with a pattern that has a straight spoke of some sort... no spirals, funny flag sections, or angled patterns.

My $0.02

·
---------
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments and, of course, no offense taken :) Your posts convinced me to think more positively about BMW wheel design. To tell the truth, I noticed the difference on the passenger's side of a car when I was going through the pictures to select one for the forum. Shame on me, I have never realized how funny it looks on that side! :tsk:

·
stop staring at me swan
3,206 Posts
I do believe that the E46 did have some all together great wheel choices, but I am not completely satisfied with the wheel options so far on the E90. They are not bad, but leave room to grow. My thoughts are the same for the M6 wheels...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I saw the e90 325i in person at the auto show and the wheels were absolutely dorky. Perhaps the SP will save that, but it's sad to see a step back in base wheel to base wheel comparison with the e46.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The wheels could definately be more sporty/agressive. I saw a 645ci on the road and the wheels looked similar to the 330 sport

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Three things I don't like about the wheels of your Grand-Am:

1. The wheel surface is flat, meaning there is no dish, and it looks like the spokes have no radius to their edge. Reminds me of the rims on 4wd Chevy pickups.
2. The turbine design where the spokes don't point toward the wheel hub. This also makes the rim look dorky on the passenger side.
3. The misaligned hub cover in the center of the wheel that has exposed bolts. What's the point of a hub cover if the bolts are exposed?

I'm not trying to make you feel better about the E90 wheels, just worse about the Pontiac wheels. We all know you are buying the E90 because it looks like a Pontiac anyways. (JUST KIDDING, no flames please, and this discuss has already taken place, so no reposts please.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
equ said:
I saw the e90 325i in person at the auto show and the wheels were absolutely dorky. Perhaps the SP will save that, but it's sad to see a step back in base wheel to base wheel comparison with the e46.
The 325i SP 17"s look better than the 17" standard rims on the 330i. So, SP is a must if you are getting either 325 or 330.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Absolutely - the base wheels on a 325i are awful. I am not crazy about the SP wheels on either though based on pix. I've always liked the BBS basketweave alloys better than anything (RXII ??) and think that they'd look killer on the E90. Certainly my choice on the E46. Just my $0.02 - YMMV. :) Of course, they are an absolute BIOTCH to keep clean but then again, I'm one of those sick puppies that actually loves washing my car. Cheap therapy :rofl:

·
Pundit
2,512 Posts
I know I am being lazy, but has anyone posted a pic of the E90 325 sports package wheel option? :dunno:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm debating going with a 330i instead of a 325i for the wheels as much as the added power. I think the design of the 330i sport package rim really compliments the styling of the E90.

·
Registered
57 Posts
tim916 said:
I'm debating going with a 330i instead of a 325i for the wheels as much as the added power. I think the design of the 330i sport package rim really compliments the styling of the E90.
I don't think the extra $$$ is worth the extra HP of the 330, although I agree that the 330 SP rims are AWESOME. Only problem with 18"s is when the wife drives it.... enough said. :mad: :cry:

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about the savings from the better fuel economy??

voltron1011 said:
I don't think the extra $$$ is worth the extra HP of the 330, although I agree that the 330 SP rims are AWESOME. Only problem with 18"s is when the wife drives it.... enough said. :mad: :cry:
That should offset a good part of the $3300 if you keep it for a few years.

·
3,935 Posts
tim916 said:
I'm driving a 325i standards suspension with Sport package 18" wheels and runflat tires on it in Germany right now. We got it that way, so it must be possible. :dunno:

·
3,935 Posts
Did anyone else see this other wheel design for the E90 (I think they are style 158 and 160). The 160's look like an updated version of my premium package E46 30 spoke wheels. Here they are:
158:

160:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts