BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a used set of stock 19 in Y spoke sport wheels to replace my 18's. The rims came with Diamaris' with ~9-11K miles on them. Now that they are on the vehilcle, I'm noticing they don't drive as straight as the wheels/tires they replace. They just don't seem to track well. Sometimes they pull just a little to the left and sometimes just a little to the right. This happens during normal driving and braking. The tires appear to have good tread, show even wear, and are balanced. Brakes are good

Any ideas what could be behind my handling irregularities.
 

·
RetiredBum
Joined
·
849 Posts
Are you sure you put the wheel/tire set on the same "position" that they came off the donor car?
I suspect you are feeling the diff "set" the tires took from the previous car. Those 19s are a tad wider,too. My 2Cts. GL,md
 

·
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!
Joined
·
279 Posts
motordavid said:
Are you sure you put the wheel/tire set on the same "position" that they came off the donor car?
I suspect you are feeling the diff "set" the tires took from the previous car. Those 19s are a tad wider,too. My 2Cts. GL,md
your new set is a bit wider an flatter than the 18's and will 'catch' the ruts in the roads and highways a bit more pulling you randomly to the right or left as you hit them. Also, if you bought a set of OEM 'y' spoke 19's they are staggered so the front set is narrower than the rear.....I'm sure you have them on correctly but I just thought I'd ask anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feeback. :thumbup:

The wheels are definitely on correctly. The big ones go on the front because of the front-wheel drive, right? Just kidding.
 

·
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!
Joined
·
279 Posts
Jeremy said:
Thanks for the feeback. :thumbup:

The wheels are definitely on correctly. The big ones go on the front because of the front-wheel drive, right? Just kidding.
Hey, i was only checking....you never know with some of the questions/comments you read on here..... :tsk:

glad to hear you are on straight. I don't know what could be causing your problem then except for the flatter/wider tire surface catching road ruts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
TSAGG said:
your new set is a bit wider an flatter than the 18's and will 'catch' the ruts in the roads and highways a bit more pulling you randomly to the right or left as you hit them.
It definitely sounds like this is what you are experiencing... When changing from my 18" winter wheel setup to my 19" summer wheel setup, I'm always amazed at the amount of "tram lining" that occurs with the 19" setup. I suspect the 20" wheels are even worse which makes me reluctant to go that route even though I love the looks.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top