BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Having a tough time getting clear info about what wheels will fit on an M packaged e70. I have read on threads here that standard e70 wheels will not fit over the calipers/brakes on an 2011 x5M so I'm wondering if I might have the same issues? Currently it has the M wheels but I'm not sure not sure about what brakes this model comes with?

Living in the Midwest these 20" tall and uber wide wheels and tires make this thing a nightmare to drive in the winter. PLEASE HELP!!!

Not overly concerned about looks just need reliable winter transport for a few months during the winter.

Model: 2011 BMW x5 35i with added M package

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
You can use any of the online part databases , enter the last 7 digits of your VIN, then go to the wheel diagrams. You will see the original oe bmw wheels that fit your 2011 X5 35i.

If you're not familiar with any online sites...try (save/bookmark) these 3:

Example: winter tire sizes available for 2011 X5 35i

Click this direct link to part nbr index for all the wheel diagrams & specifically the winter tire offerings...click on the diagram and it will expand to include the wheel's specs etc: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search/selectCar/E70N/SAV/BMW+X5+35iX/ECE/36

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
If having a dedicated set of winter wheel/tires is in your budget....I highly recommend them if you live in snow country (looks like you do). I live in the Great Lakes/MidWest region and can get anything from mild winters (like last year) where there wasn't much deep snow...but enough freezing rain/icy/cold day (ambient temps consistently below 45° F) where dedicated winter tires outperform all season tires by a big margin. The times when winter throws everything your way and the blizzards and 10"-24" of snow comes...and stays for weeks...the dedicated winter tires only enhances the AWD systems and allows them to perform at their best.

I have staggered 20" Style 87 mounted on my e53 X5 4.4 when ambient temps remain above 45° F (usually sometime in April). Then swap on 18" wheels mounted with dedicated winter tires sometimes between Thanksgiving and New Years (whenever ambient temps stay consistently below 45° F). Since I purchased my tires from Discount Tire...they mount the wheels for free and check their balance for each swap...i just have to load the wheels up and let them do all the work. :)

I also have dedicated 16" winter tires for my e38...and swap 18" MPars back on during the spring/summer/fall. I find the dedicated winter tires for both the AWD X5 and the RWD e38 makes winter driving an incredibly different driving experience and wouldn't even think of NOT having the winter set-up as long as I live I'd snow country. Now, if I moved further south where winter weather was more temperant...then I'd probably go with a really good all season. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts