BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I had someone recommend ordering wheel locks for Euro Delivery and wondered where that option is. Is thart something I can just buy there and have them add? Or let my dealership know so they can have it added to the order? I didn't see an online option for locks.

I also am wondering if bringing non chipped credit cards is much of a problem. I don't want to be low on gas and have my normal cards not work. Thanks!

· Freude am Fahren
19,913 Posts
The lack of an EMV credit card might become an issue when using an unattended fuel pump or paying a toll. Otherwise, it should not be an issue per se.

Smarter Credit Cards Coming Soon: An EMV Primer
As cash becomes passé, new secure chip cards are taking its place and lowering credit card fraud. Here's what you need to know.
If you've ever tried to pay for fuel at a closed filling station or transit an unmanned toll booth in Europe and found that your credit card would not work, you are not alone - but you are probably a U.S. resident with a U.S.-issued credit card that ….
[/quote]

· Registered
514 Posts
I've done two ED and haven't had an issue with wheels. Of course a lot depends on where you are traveling and luck of the draw.

I had a chipped credit card - actually chip and pin - it helped a great deal in exiting public parking garages and a couple of stores. Almost all restaurants, hotels and gas stations took Amex or if not Visa.

So, chip and pin CC helpful but not mandantory. Make sure whatever CC you take that you advise the company you will be traveling in Europe!!

· Registered
308 Posts
We had a bit of inconvenience while traveling in rural France because of the lack of chip&pin. We almost got stranded at one point when gas station after gas station was closed and only the unattended pumps were working :( In the end I approached a very pleasant driver also filling up, explained the situation and gave him cash for the fill-up which he put on his card. The other situation was when buying train tickets. There was no line on the automated machines and a 20min line at the cashier :(

I called chase after the trip to complain about the lack of chip&pin options and they gave me some lame line about how vendors _had_ to accept a swipe. Unfortunately the reality chase chooses to believe is not the one I live in :)

In short, just plan ahead so you don't get stuck :)

· I do'nt make mistakes.
13,832 Posts
The other situation was when buying train tickets. There was no line on the automated machines and a 20min line at the cashier :(
That's the one that's caused me the most troubles. Last time I flew into Paris, we had a hard time getting a ticket into the city, as the machines wouldn't take any of my cards, nor those of another friend. They finally took a third friend's card. Buy Metro tickets in Paris was also annoying without it.

Tolls in France I just made sure I went to manual lanes, and had plenty of cash and change, a lesson learned the hard way on a previous trip.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the one that's caused me the most troubles. Last time I flew into Paris, we had a hard time getting a ticket into the city, as the machines wouldn't take any of my cards, nor those of another friend. They finally took a third friend's card. Buy Metro tickets in Paris was also annoying without it.

Tolls in France I just made sure I went to manual lanes, and had plenty of cash and change, a lesson learned the hard way on a previous trip.
So I imagine I can just go to an ATM once I'm there and cash up. I still don't see a good alternative to the chipped card. I hear of the preloaded debit cards, but hear the fees are terrible.

· Registered
308 Posts
Yes, grab cash from the airport ATM. You can also try calling your CC vendor and ask if they have any chipped cards you could get before your trip.

· Registered
410 Posts
I just got a SDFCU visa that is chip and pin. No anual fee, no foreign transaction fee. Took nearly three weeks to get everything squared out but it's here now and hopefully will save me some headaches since I'll be heading into France...Last year, there were two places where the lack of chip+pin card became an issue, in the London underground and the Vaporetto (Boat-bus thingy) station in Venice. German/Austrian and Italian tolls and gas pumps took my Amex Platinum w/o issues.

· Registered
158 Posts
Ok, so I had someone recommend ordering wheel locks for Euro Delivery and wondered where that option is. Is thart something I can just buy there and have them add? Or let my dealership know so they can have it added to the order? I didn't see an online option for locks.

I also am wondering if bringing non chipped credit cards is much of a problem. I don't want to be low on gas and have my normal cards not work. Thanks!
I purchased wheel locks stateside, and requested installation when I checked in at the welt. They did it very willingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.