BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok a buddy of mine is getting rid of his HRE wheels from his e46 m3. I'd like to have these wheels on my car and was wondering if they could be sent to a wheel specialty shop to have the offset changed to work on my e39.

Depending on the kind of change needed for the offset, what about some quality wheel spacers?

The wheels are 19's and staggerd.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anybody, currently have Falken tire on my 540i and it is very noisy. Need to know what brand is good for E39.
wow, talk about thread jacking!

why buy new hre wheels when i'm going to get a set for free? need to figure out how to get the offset right for my 540.

or I could just trade these or sell'em for the right offset.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Its not just the offset Ketchup.

If those rims were made for the E46, then the center hub may be smaller than you need to mount on the E39. Since they are aftermarket rims though, they may have been made large enough. You should do a test fit, and see if they will even mount on the car.

If they dont, then they'll also need to be machined out to mount on the car. Thats the preferred method compared to adapters.

For my DPE's they were made to order, so the offset isnt disclosed. Im sure the HRE's are similar. You'll get a range, but not an exact number. You'll have to figure out the OEM offset, and work from there, and also just do test fits to figure out what kind of spacer you'll need.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not just the offset Ketchup.

If those rims were made for the E46, then the center hub may be smaller than you need to mount on the E39. Since they are aftermarket rims though, they may have been made large enough. You should do a test fit, and see if they will even mount on the car.

If they dont, then they'll also need to be machined out to mount on the car. Thats the preferred method compared to adapters.

For my DPE's they were made to order, so the offset isnt disclosed. Im sure the HRE's are similar. You'll get a range, but not an exact number. You'll have to figure out the OEM offset, and work from there, and also just do test fits to figure out what kind of spacer you'll need.
Yea, that's true. The e39 hub is like 74 and 72 for the e46. I'm going to call HRE on Monday to see if they would be able to tailor these wheels to e39 spec for me - they're only 30mins away!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ketchup, you'll need to get the hubs bored out to fit E39 size (74.1) which is a simple procedure for a good machine shop. Then you'll need to run spacers to set the correct offset. If the wheels are free, this could be a very worthwhile investment... its just not a good proposition if you're BUYING wheels that aren't meant for the E39.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ketchup, you'll need to get the hubs bored out to fit E39 size (74.1) which is a simple procedure for a good machine shop. Then you'll need to run spacers to set the correct offset. If the wheels are free, this could be a very worthwhile investment... its just not a good proposition if you're BUYING wheels that aren't meant for the E39.
exactly my thoughts :thumbup: and on the other side of it, I can always sell these to fund for either a new set for the e39 or used. We'll see whichever comes first.

The wheels are just about free, I searched high and low for my friends e46 m3 so he owes me. 04 Ti silver and 33k miles! no accidents and we got it for $26k.

After the hubs are bored out, will the wheels still work properly on e46 m3's? I know they'll still mount but will it create a vibration problem since the hub is larger?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ketchup, you won't be able to mount it back on straight. You can use hubcentric rings to fit the E39 bored wheel onto a BMW with a smaller hub size, like the E46.

·
Tha All-star
1,251 Posts
Been there, done that. It is NOT worth the hassle.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
be careful fitting wheels they arnt made for the correct offsets etc.. MAKE SURE you get proper hub rings made/ fitted of decent quality made for them if you end up using them.

My friend has a cooper s with works wheels and he's had lug bolts snap twice and it was concluded that it was due to hub rings not fitting properly one of the times, and the second the center ring broke..

for some reason he loves the wheels that much that he decided to get another set of rings made up and havent had as many problems since then.. *touch wood* the scariest part is that one of the times the wheel came of on a spirited mountain run...

good luck with them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts