Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have BBS CH alloys and was wondering whether the lug bolts should go with BMW's torque spec or if there could be a different spec applicable from BBS ?

Lug bolts I guess are still BMW made, but the wheel material of course is non BMW so not sure what spec to use for correct tightening.

Maybe there's no difference at all, don't know, but thought just popped my mind and couldn't find anything relevant quickly online.

Thanks !

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
Go with the fastener limits is if the wheel is properly supported

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go with the fastener limits is if the wheel is properly supported
Thanks. You mean the tightest of the two ?

And regarding properly supported, you mean by BMW ? Not sure they explicitly support alloy brands, but BBS itself is an established manufacturer.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
The threaded fasteners can be damaged / destroyed - the threads pulled - if over torqued. I doubt - hope - that the screws are not loaded in shear.

The wheels are only to be clamped to the hub and its supporting ring securely. You are not likely to squash compress the wheel screw hole unless it is not well supported by the surrounding metal.

·
Registered
630 Posts
if you are that worried call BBS ......meantime go with OEM spec......i doubt there is a big difference if any.....this aint rocket science

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The threaded fasteners can be damaged / destroyed - the threads pulled - if over torqued. I doubt - hope - that the screws are not loaded in shear.

The wheels are only to be clamped to the hub and its supporting ring securely. You are not likely to squash compress the wheel screw hole unless it is not well supported by the surrounding metal.

Thanks !

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
The fastener determines how much torque can be applied. Go with the OEM spec. BBS is an OEM supplier to BMW as well as an aftermarket wheel supplier. There's no difference in the torque spec between wheels supplied by other BMW OEMs for wheels and BBS OEM wheels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fastener determines how much torque can be applied. Go with the OEM spec. BBS is an OEM supplier to BMW as well as an aftermarket wheel supplier. There's no difference in the torque spec between wheels supplied by other BMW OEMs for wheels and BBS OEM wheels.
Thanks, understood !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts