BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Button Pusher
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this on the "other" board, trying here...

*sigh*

Two lane road, dark, stuck behind truck, move over to pass, BAM! Hit a rock that was probably 3" tall or so.

Thinking of using Wheels America in Stanton. Their fee is $109. Any other recommendations?

Thx,
AK

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Ooh, ugly. I've gone to Wheels America in the past and they said they couldn't fix my problem (cracked valvestem hole), but they do have a good reputation. There are a couple of well-known places in North Hollywood, but that's a bit far out.

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
I had good luck with Son Tran of Onsite Wheel Reconditioning. He does mobile repairs throughout the LA basin, but he's based in Westminster. Tel 714-493-6355.

My problem was "just" curb rash on M Roadster wheels. I don't know what he might be able to do with your wheel -- but you can call and ask.

·
Button Pusher
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chukiechz said:
Mag Masters in Santa Ana. They took my Breytons that were curb rubbed all over and bent like a taco to being a damn near brand new rim!! From the outside, it looks new!!!
got any contact info for these guys? how much did they cost?

btw, the wheel is a BBS RK. 18x8.5". lucky for me i bought a matching spare.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
chukiechz said:
Mag Masters in Santa Ana. They took my Breytons that were curb rubbed all over and bent like a taco to being a damn near brand new rim!! From the outside, it looks new!!!
I've always wondered about that place. It never looks like its open.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I may need to call Son Tran

phrider -

Were your M roadster wheels pre '01 or '01-'02 paint? How much was the repair? Any before/after pics? I got a little case of curb rash myself.

·
1,687 Posts
2001 M Roadster stock wheels.

Bad rash on one, light rash on the other: $90 per wheel at my house on a pre-arranged schedule. He'll come to your office, too.

He did 2 Volvo wheels at the same time for even less -- we added these on after I saw the work.

eMail me if you want more info.

Regards,

Fred in MidWilshire area -- tell him I sent you if you use him.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
WOW!

phrider -

$90 - that's great if he was able to match up the paint well. I'm next to Westminster and have some days off coming so logistics are good.

Wheels America in Stanton said they could not match the paint yet. :(

·
1,687 Posts
Re: WOW!

scottn2retro said:
phrider -

$90 - that's great if he was able to match up the paint well. I'm next to Westminster and have some days off coming so logistics are good.

Wheels America in Stanton said they could not match the paint yet. :(
Warning..... I am colorblind.

Sometimes this is very very good for color matching (I am more tone/gloss sensitive, but not tint sensitive*), and sometimes it's bad. My wife is very color sensitive, however.

We both thought it was a good job. I cared that it looked good. My wife may have been doing a "ya ya, it's OK."

See what Son Tran has to say.

*As in, the matching may be perfect in tone, but the wrong color and I wouldn't know. Perhaps my rims are now steel green rather than steel grey -- but I assume someone would have said something.

·
Button Pusher
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
getting back on topic

i took the wheel over to Wheels America. they just called and said it was non-repairable. the impact warped it.

since i'm scheduled to run a driver education event at Willow Springs in a couple weeks, i'm not even gonna question them. new wheel+tire are already on order from TireRack.

be careful out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts