Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just recently bought an 02 325i. The seller told me that the car is has M3 wheels with tire size 225/45/18. He had swapped out the 225/40/18 he had on previously. Lucky for me he still had the tires he swapped. I noticed that when I make a turn, sometimes I'll hear what sounds like rubbing in the rear wheels. Are the 45's too wide? I'd like to drive on the 45s and save the 40s when those wear out. Or should I swap them out to avoid any damage I might be causing Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
First, the 40s are the right size for diameter (speedo etc.) not the 45s. The 225 WIDTH is the same either way and is fine. But if you have rear M3 wheels, then you have a bigger problem: check the wiki link above under wheels/tires: "Rear M3 wheels will NOT fit on a non-M3 (the rear M3 offset is +24), but the fronts will. You can buy four FRONT M3 wheels and put them on all four corners of a non-M car."

·
Keeping it surreal
43,082 Posts
There have been MANY threads on this subject, some very recently....scroll back a few days through the archived threads until you find one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JKRIT. Thanks for the advice. I was able to get a set of fronts to replace my rear wheels. I would've never known that would resolve my problem. I was ready to just bite the bullet and buy new wheels but I really dig these particular M3 wheels. Took the car out and drove it a little harder than normal and the grinding noise is gone! I would say that I saved a FEW hundred dollars buy swapping out my rear wheels. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts