BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with wheel spacers?

Is there something that I need to know about using them?

It's not for the E46... it's for the ML. I'd like to widen the track just a little bit. Even with 18"x9" wheels, the wheels are still well inside the wheel wells. I'd like to move them out 15mm.

Thanks - JP

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
wasn't there a post about this long ago? all i remember is that by putting the rims further away from the hub itself u do put some additional stress to the entire suspension arm...basically forming a leverage with the spacer.

how true is that...i'm not sure.

JPinTO said:
Does anyone have experience with wheel spacers?

Is there something that I need to know about using them?

It's not for the E46... it's for the ML. I'd like to widen the track just a little bit. Even with 18"x9" wheels, the wheels are still well inside the wheel wells. I'd like to move them out 15mm.

Thanks - JP

·
Banned
214 Posts
I have experience with H&R wheel spacers. You can find the exact part number of the spacers you need at www.hrsprings.com. I checked the ML MBZ series and they list about 5 different thicknesses.

I would suggest you opt for a 10mm minimum thickness spacer so you have a hubcentric lip to mount the wheel onto. Spacers thinner than 10mm do not have this lip extending from the front face of the spacer as there is no room to machine such a device. You will have to purchase longer lug bolts. I suggest using McGuard brand. They are highly chromed. If you have a wheel cover, then any cadmium plated bolt will work fine.

H&R's are a high quality spacer. I recently read a post regarding this other site, www.wheeladapter.com but I cannot recommend them as I've no experience. From a machining standpoint though a precision spacer isn't hard to create. H&R anodizes the entire surface area.

As for the argument you are placing increased stress on the suspension due to the extended lever arm, this is true, but hardly detrimental. The same effect could be achieved with using a wheel with an incorrect offset of 15mm. The only difference here is the spacer is a separate piece between the wheel backface and the wheel bearing rotor assy.

Just remember to use a high quality anti sieze compound on the lug bolt threads and torque them properly, you'll not experience any difficulties. This assumes you won't have a rubbing issue as the suspension flexes. With the widened track it should handle noticeably better.

The McGuard website doesn't list their lug bolt selection. You need to find the part numbers from their catalogue.

:mad: razzmatazz

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info Razz! :) Exactly what I was looking for.

I won't have any rubbing issues with this ride height:

The MB application list only seems to list 5mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 30mm--- no 10mm.

I'll probably go with the 15mm as the 5mm seems pointless and I don't want anything too aggressive. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts