BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know run flats are very stiff, and can transmit much of the road into the steering wheel, but I seem to have a wobble like a wheel out of balance. When I asked about the possible defect or a rebalance, I'm quoted $90 instead of taking the brand new car in for an examination and rebalance for free.

Am I asking too much here? This is a new car, with under $2k miles (I wanted to see if the vibration would go away or reduce after break-in).

I'm told the balancing isn't part of the new bmw warranty program.

Thanks in advance!

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Go to another dealer and express the problem to them too and see if you get the same result.
You should have to pay nothing for any problem within 12mo/12K miles

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know run flats are very stiff, and can transmit much of the road into the steering wheel, but I seem to have a wobble like a wheel out of balance. When I asked about the possible defect or a rebalance, I'm quoted $90 instead of taking the brand new car in for an examination and rebalance for free.

Am I asking too much here? This is a new car, with under $2k miles (I wanted to see if the vibration would go away or reduce after break-in).

I'm told the balancing isn't part of the new bmw warranty program.

Thanks in advance!
Try the tire manufacturer.

Bruce

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try the tire manufacturer.

Bruce
do you think it could just be the run flats causing the vibration and a rebalance would do nothing to cure? I thought of that, playing with tire pressure, keeping them at 34/40 cold seems to alleviate the "feeling" of the vibration, which starts at 50 and goes to 70, seems like the classic wheel balance issue.

I'm not familiar enough with run flat technology to know if this is a symptom of them in general.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Most tire shops will balance your tires purchased there for the life of the tire so I don't see why BMW wouldn't do the same during the warranty period. Have them check for a belt that may have shifted making the tire out of round. That should be a warranty item covered by the RFT policy.

I think that BMW owners have been used as beta tester for RFT technology so we deserve corrective action whenever there is a problem. No questions asked and hopefully they will cut the tire apart to see what went worng.

·
your average JAMF
1,221 Posts
Have you gotten the survey phone call yet? Call your sales drone and tell him you're going to give all ZEROES on the survey if they don't step up and do what's right. That'll get their attention VERY quickly, I can assure you.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Go to another dealer and express the problem to them too and see if you get the same result.
You should have to pay nothing for any problem within 12mo/12K miles
So if I hit some NYC potholes and knock my alignment out of kilter, most dealers will do the alignment at no charge? That is very good news!

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's downright petty for a dealer to refuse something as trivial as checking the balance on a tire. The tire center at your local Wal-Mart has better service than that and chances are you've never made a five-figure purchase there!

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
"So if I hit some NYC potholes and knock my alignment out of kilter, most dealers will do the alignment at no charge? That is very good news!"

If you damage your vehicle the dealer will be sympathic about it and try to help you but they have no responsibility to something an owner did to their car vs a defect or initial intallation issue like an out of round tire or misbalanced tire...

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you gotten the survey phone call yet? Call your sales drone and tell him you're going to give all ZEROES on the survey if they don't step up and do what's right. That'll get their attention VERY quickly, I can assure you.
We are on the same track, I mentioned the survey in an email to the service guy, sending a carbon copy to my sales advisor; within 10 minutes an email came in "Oh, didn't realize the car was brand new, I can cover the balancing up to 2000 miles for a new car ... "

I will make an appointment and see how it goes, I don't know if they are like other tire shops and just whack the old weights off BEFORE getting specs as to the lack of balance, so I may not know how much the balance was off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are on the same track, I mentioned the survey in an email to the service guy, sending a carbon copy to my sales advisor; within 10 minutes an email came in "Oh, didn't realize the car was brand new, I can cover the balancing up to 2000 miles for a new car ... "

I will make an appointment and see how it goes, I don't know if they are like other tire shops and just whack the old weights off BEFORE getting specs as to the lack of balance, so I may not know how much the balance was off.
I've had my new 335i for almost 3 months and never got any survey call, nothing from BMW. I'm surprised, my last new BMW purchase, I remember getting a survey, I just don't remember if it was by mail or by phone. How long after purchase do you usually receive a survey??

I have some things to express on that survey.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've had my new 335i for almost 3 months and never got any survey call, nothing from BMW. I'm surprised, my last new BMW purchase, I remember getting a survey, I just don't remember if it was by mail or by phone. How long after purchase do you usually receive a survey??

I have some things to express on that survey.
My guess is they call you on the phone number you left at the dealer when you bought your car. The number may not be correct, just my guess and 2 cents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts