BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just washed my 430i Convertible for the first time. The dealer washed it when I picked it up 4 weeks ago and also 2 weeks later at the time of meeting with the "genius" for some questions and so forth.
The dealer claimed they waxed it when I picked it up straight from Germany! :)
I ordered one just the way I wanted it and I really felt I got the best value by just having a car with the options I want such as Cold weather package, leather (required for CW), backup camera and sensor and finally the Harmon Kardon upgrade, sooo glad I got that one!

My question is should I go ahead and wax it now with the Meguiar Liquid Wax? I noticed the water beaded as I washed it and the surface is very smooth. Hence I was thinking to put on the Meguiars Liquid Wax which is Polymer based. In the past I used the Meguiar Pure Carnuba wax which was great but really didn't last very long.
My question is if it could be too early?

My dealer told me I could wash it any time I wanted and that they actually washed and waxed it when I picked it up. That is what they told me at least and it was clean but was it really waxed or just factory fresh?
Not too sure though since it looks good but wonder if the Meguiar Liquid wax would make it even better.

Would it hurt if I took the opportunity to put the liquid wax on since the surface is really smooth? Plan to do it tomorrow late afternoon if that is the case since it is in my garage over night so it will be in the same great shape tomorrow.

Appreciate any insight you have!

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I just washed my 430i Convertible for the first time. The dealer washed it when I picked it up 4 weeks ago and also 2 weeks later at the time of meeting with the "genius" for some questions and so forth.
The dealer claimed they waxed it when I picked it up straight from Germany! :)
I ordered one just the way I wanted it and I really felt I got the best value by just having a car with the options I want such as Cold weather package, leather (required for CW), backup camera and sensor and finally the Harmon Kardon upgrade, sooo glad I got that one!

My question is should I go ahead and wax it now with the Meguiar Liquid Wax? I noticed the water beaded as I washed it and the surface is very smooth. Hence I was thinking to put on the Meguiars Liquid Wax which is Polymer based. In the past I used the Meguiar Pure Carnuba wax which was great but really didn't last very long.
My question is if it could be too early?

My dealer told me I could wash it any time I wanted and that they actually washed and waxed it when I picked it up. That is what they told me at least and it was clean but was it really waxed or just factory fresh?
Not too sure though since it looks good but wonder if the Meguiar Liquid wax would make it even better.

Would it hurt if I took the opportunity to put the liquid wax on since the surface is really smooth? Plan to do it tomorrow late afternoon if that is the case since it is in my garage over night so it will be in the same great shape tomorrow.

Appreciate any insight you have!
You can go ahead and wax it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can wax it if you want, but if you run water on the surface and tight beads of water form then the paint is protected. If it sheets off then it may be time for more wax. If you just enjoy waxing your car, then go ahead and throw on a coat.

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
Wait six weeks after the factory built the car.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts

No need to agonize, or pay high prices for flowery names. Just wash with a soap containing 'wax' - probably 'cheater's wax,' generally silicone oil.

Works very well. Keep using. Be happy. O'Reilly Auto Parts.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
According to Meguiars:

Factory paint is baked on at high temp for a fairly long period of time - more importantly, the paint is formulated such that this baking process is sufficient to fully cure it. Therefore, you can safely wax your new truck tonight if you wish! Heck, you can even clay it, compound and polish it if need be. In other words - Go For It!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I stripped (Dawn DW soap), clayed, and waxed the 340 a week after I got it. My usual process, and especially since this car looked like crap when they delivered it. :dunno:

Most "experts" insist on this process for new cars, since they accumulate stuff (rail dust, etc) on their way from the factory. Probably not necessary but makes me feel better ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would do the works on a new BMW. I had my car detailed as soon as I got it. First it was Washed with chemical guys citrus wash. Clayed. Second skin Advanced Hybrid Protective Coating. waxed with Lava Luminous Glow Infusion. My estoril blue 428i F33 was a mirror finish when I received it. My detail guy is awesome. I love my Beamer and the color it has is amazing. I would like to keep it looking amazing. ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1476182472.403982.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
I am not sure what is the "best" for the car. Too much buffing is not good. I don't know about too early use of a clay bar. Maybe it is like people where too much showering is hard on the skin?

For an auto show look, it's needed but for an everyday clean look, frequent washing but not much buffing and clay bar use may be better. I use a clay bar starting at year 2 and then only yearly. However, bird droppings are rinsed immediately. I have an empty jug for water in the car for that purpose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not sure what is the "best" for the car. Too much buffing is not good. I don't know about too early use of a clay bar. Maybe it is like people where too much showering is hard on the skin?

For an auto show look, it's needed but for an everyday clean look, frequent washing but not much buffing and clay bar use may be better. I use a clay bar starting at year 2 and then only yearly. However, bird droppings are rinsed immediately. I have an empty jug for water in the car for that purpose.
If you ask Mike Philips (well known auto detailing guru), he'll tell you to always use the least aggressive method first. If your car is dirty, you wash it you don't polish it or clay it because polishing and claying can be abrasive and remove a small amount of your car's paint. The car only has a finite amount of clear coat on it. So, obviously you don't want to remove any more of it than absolutely necessary at any given time.

This being said . . . ideally what you want to do is get your car in the best shape possible when you first take ownership. Often, that means washing then claying then polishing and then some sort of paint protection like waxing, sealing, or coating the paint. From there, you do your best to wash the car without instilling scratches in the paint. They're inevitable though and eventually the car will need to be clayed and polished again in order to look it's best. It's sort of a never ending cycle and if you have a black car like me it can be an even more difficult situation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone used this that I found at Costco: EZ WAX 579221 Premium EZ Detailer Waterless Cleaning Wax?

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
I use Malm's carnauba wax. It has no polish in it. Very smooth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts