BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about the issue with the N54 engine fuel pump issue. Sketchy about if or when this was resolved. Does anyone know when BMW corrected the problem? Still looking for a PO or CPO car and if I can avoid the fuel pump issue, I'd rather not have the car die on me while I'm going 80 on the Turnpike.
I know there was a recall. Was the recall for all the engines with the faulty pumps or did BMW just replace the pumps for those who had issues?
Tx.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What does that mean??? Have a little patience, I know very little about cars. What I know is that the 335 used a N54 engine which had fuel pump issues. That engine was replaced at some point with an N55. Is that wrong? Was the fuel pump issue resolved in the new engine? What do you mean, all were replaced? It was my understanding that the faulty fuel pumps were replaced when there was an issue. Am I wrong? Were all the cars with the faulty pumps recalled and had their pumps replaced?

· Not Here Anymore
5,311 Posts
What does that mean??? Have a little patience, I know very little about cars. What I know is that the 335 used a N54 engine which had fuel pump issues. That engine was replaced at some point with an N55. Is that wrong? Was the fuel pump issue resolved in the new engine? What do you mean, all were replaced? It was my understanding that the faulty fuel pumps were replaced when there was an issue. Am I wrong? Were all the cars with the faulty pumps recalled and had their pumps replaced?
IMO the fuel pump issue is no longer an issue for either the N54 or N55 equipped vehicles. Are you're aware there was a recall. Since that recall it appears BMW has resolved the issue.

If the particular vehicle you're interested in purchasing has not had the recall work performed it can be taken in and the work performed under the recall at no cost. In addition the fuel pump is warranted for 10 years or 120K miles. Thus buying any 335 based vehicle will still have an in effect warranty on this part.

IMO I would no longer use this as a deciding factor when purchasing a 335.

· Not Here Anymore
5,311 Posts
OK, last question on this. Since I'm probably not buying from a BMW dealer, is there a way to tell if the fuel pump has been replaced?
I believe there is a sticker placed under the hood to indicate the recall has been performed. However I can't recall the details of where it's located and what it states.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If you find a car you want the fuel pump shouldn't be a deciding factor. Once you've purchased it you can take it to the dealer and they can provide the service history (you may be able to have them provide this information before you buy if you pretend you're the current owner). If the recall work hasn't been performed you can schedule it and they'll do it at no cost. If the recall work has been done you're good to go.

In short: Don't use this as a deciding factor.

· flâneur en cabriolet
927 Posts
I believe there is a sticker placed under the hood to indicate the recall has been performed. However I can't recall the details of where it's located and what it states.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If you find a car you want the fuel pump shouldn't be a deciding factor. Once you've purchased it you can take it to the dealer and they can provide the service history (you may be able to have them provide this information before you buy if you pretend you're the current owner). If the recall work hasn't been performed you can schedule it and they'll do it at no cost. If the recall work has been done you're good to go.

In short: Don't use this as a deciding factor.
My dealer master tech told me they quit doing the stickers a couple years ago. I was concerned because mine didn't have one, but yes indeed, my HPFP and injectors were done....

· Registered
5,527 Posts
As stated before, if the work has been done, you are good to go, if not then you can set up a time to get it done at the dealer. I just had mine done (first and only one) in late July. I went in the year before but the comp link to Germany was down, so I put it off until two months ago. The new hpfp will not fail any more often than any random part may. N4S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.