BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I can't seem to get the Luxury Seating Package (ZLS) to appear as an option on the BMW USA configurator if I select the M-Sport package. It does appear on the Sport Line or Luxury Lines. Is this a mistake? The ordering guide seems to indicate ZLS should be available regardless.

2. The configurator behaves such that you have to select Nappa leather to get the Luxury Seating Package (ZLS). It won't let you select it if you have Dakota leather. Is this correct? I can't find in the ordering guide where this is stated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You should be okay in following the ordering guide rather than the configurator. However, IMO, why would one want to spend that much money on seating and then put the rear end on Dakota (I currently have Dakota on my 330e and I have a 530e on order with Nappa to replace it--Having had Dakota nappa was an absolute requirement for me).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be okay in following the ordering guide rather than the configurator. However, IMO, why would one want to spend that much money on seating and then put the rear end on Dakota (I currently have Dakota on my 330e and I have a 530e on order with Nappa to replace it--Having had Dakota nappa was an absolute requirement for me).
I agree in that I'd prefer Nappa over Dakota. But you can only get Nappa in Black, Ivory, or Mocha. I'd much prefer the Cognac color which is only in Dakota.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,826 Posts
ZLS requires Nappa or Individual Merino full leather. This should be clear from the ordering guide. Check the area at the end of the options section where they show option limitations and dependencies.

UPDATE: Actually, the ordering guide shows Nappa or Merino as contents of the ZLS package. (Attached). The requirements section indicates that one must order heated seats, and ZMP or ZPP to order ZLS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,826 Posts
I agree in that I'd prefer Nappa over Dakota. But you can only get Nappa in Black, Ivory, or Mocha. I'd much prefer the Cognac color which is only in Dakota.
+1. I had Merino Individual leather in my 2014 535i, and it was beautiful. But I am also getting Cognac Dakota in my new 540i, due to the color choices. I don't buy white or black interiors, and Mocha is just darker than I want. Cognac should have been available as Nappa. The leather color is more important to me than the level of leather.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,873 Posts
You can get the 456 Multi Contour Seats with Dakota. The big differentiator with ZLS is the ventilation and massage. There must be a reason why they can't poke holes in the Dakota. Could be durability, could be related to the way the leather absorbs the dye. Both the ventilation and massage are subjective. Many here are indifferent to the ventilation (I love it and use it all the time, even in 30 degree outside temps). Many here love the massaging feature, but I am non-plussed (too heavy handed in execution to suit my taste).

While I agree it would be nice to have a wider color selection in Nappa (or Merino), there's nothing "wrong" with the Multi Contours in Dakota. Though if price were no object, I think Moonstone over Tartufo Merino would make one hell of a good looking G30.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,826 Posts
Ventilated seats (not masssging) were available with Dakota leather in the F10. I think they just don't want to manufacture so many combinations.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I've been watching the on line build function for a couple of months now not being able to build with the comfort Seating Package. And I'm being tired of guys saying use the "ordering guide". It's a lot more work sorting through that guide manually and trying to understand what is included with what Package or what other options are required with other options. It's inexcusable that in this day BMW can't get the online build right.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I understand the color issues. I like the ivory nappa but chickened out on ordering white upholstery. My first choice was caramel black (individual full merino). But I could not wait the additional weeks or months for an order. So my compromise was mocha. But I can understand others making the compromise on Dakota to get the color they want (I currently have the coral red Dakota and have seen the red leather in the 7 series and it is striking but not available in the 5 series).

I agree that the configurator is easier to use than the ordering guide. But if you want the best selection, that is the only way to go. What you can do is use the configurator to get close to what you want, then go to the ordering guide and modify your selections to exactly what you want. That will make using the ordering guide a little easier.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,826 Posts
I've been watching the on line build function for a couple of months now not being able to build with the comfort Seating Package. And I'm being tired of guys saying use the "ordering guide". It's a lot more work sorting through that guide manually and trying to understand what is included with what Package or what other options are required with other options. It's inexcusable that in this day BMW can't get the online build right.
The configurator got messed up when they added the silly "design" lines back in. When every option was available "as-is", it was working ok. You also cannot add rear heated seats now in the MSport design area. For "normal" BMWUSA.com visitors (not forum fanatics), yes, they may miss out on certain items unless they actually work with their SA to understand all available options. Of course, many of those people just buy off the lot most likely.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I use the configurator on carsdirect.com. It seems pretty accurate and shows more detail than what the BMW configurator shows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts