BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to think my 525i is thinking I'm made of money. I replaced the brakes with slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads, replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plugs with wires, and finally her fuel pump and filter

Now my transmission keeps slipping out of gear (M50 525i Automatic) and when i try to go it catches and jerks hard.

I've purchased another transmission and will be dropping her in tomorrow.

Is it sad I gladly drop $2k worth of parts in a $3k car?

·
Red Natasha
155 Posts
pumping $$$ into e34's is a ritual you learn to love and enjoy.

if you cant handle the ritual or cant contain it....you cant be called an e34 owner.

what makes you happy has no ???'s weather its worth it.....it simply just is.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ I don't quite understand where this sort of attack is coming from. Because I can't afford a 5 speed swap when I change my transmission makes it where I can't be called an e34 owner?

I never complained about spending the money, at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, first post, whoo hoo!

So, about 3 years ago i purchased a 92 525i from the auto auction, and it eventually produced a similar problem. We went ahead and had a mechanic replace the transmision for about 2500 bucks, however it continues to slip out of gear! I discovered that putting the car in 3, waiting for it to catch, and putting it back in D rudely puts the car back in gear, and if i fail to do this, it will give me a "Trans Program Error" on the dash.

I just recently learned about the pedal test and will be trying this out when i get home from work, however, would it be safe to assume that this problem has something more to do with a computer or sensor than the transmission itself? The problem is becoming more frequent, about 2x every time i drive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey.
I get the jerks if I don't give it a second or two after putting into gear, that's reverse and drive. And today I found out that there is a hole somewhere in my exhaust. Besides this the car is awesome. Any idea why the gear box has a delay?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Your symptoms indicate low fluid. If it is low and has been operated that way for an extended period there could be damage but certainly be sure it's not just starving for fluid to make it work.
You could be wasting your money replacing the transmission.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hey there, first post, whoo hoo!

So, about 3 years ago i purchased a 92 525i from the auto auction, and it eventually produced a similar problem. We went ahead and had a mechanic replace the transmision for about 2500 bucks, however it continues to slip out of gear! I discovered that putting the car in 3, waiting for it to catch, and putting it back in D rudely puts the car back in gear, and if i fail to do this, it will give me a "Trans Program Error" on the dash.

I just recently learned about the pedal test and will be trying this out when i get home from work, however, would it be safe to assume that this problem has something more to do with a computer or sensor than the transmission itself? The problem is becoming more frequent, about 2x every time i drive.
There is a very good chance it is not your transmission. This thread will be helpful in terminating the cause of your error message.

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Transprogram

I recently had that message but it turned out to bet me mistakenly cross connecting a few connectors in the engine compartment after a cylinder rebuild, so it does not always mean it is your transmission. As Ross1 suggests, do check your fluid level just to rule that out.

·
Red Natasha
155 Posts
^ I don't quite understand where this sort of attack is coming from. Because I can't afford a 5 speed swap when I change my transmission makes it where I can't be called an e34 owner?

My apologies if you took it as an attack bro. I just write from experience. I got to the point where my pocket book couldent keep up with my Natasha.

I was just responding to the comment you said about putting money into a 3k car. It happens to everyone. Obviously if you own an e34 your are the owner.

In other news.... If you don't have the $$$$ right now to do a manual conversion then drop In A temp tranny meanwhile but a manual swap would be ideal. A LOT less issues with tht for sure.

Hope everything turns out for the best

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm beginning to think my 525i is thinking I'm made of money. I replaced the brakes with slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads, replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plugs with wires, and finally her fuel pump and filter

Now my transmission keeps slipping out of gear (M50 525i Automatic) and when i try to go it catches and jerks hard.

I've purchased another transmission and will be dropping her in tomorrow.

Is it sad I gladly drop $2k worth of parts in a $3k car?
Nothing sad about that, If you know what you have and want to keep it.... Keep it running right. if you tried to replace it, you never know what you are getting into.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts

I don't think rednatasha meant it the way you took it. He's a forum pal if you remember. I think it looked like he was walking down memory lane with thoughts about his e34 experience. He certainly regrets selling it off, but it was a phase that had come to an end.

Don't take it the wrong way bloody arro my friend.

Dude, I believe you've been very hasty in purchasing another transmission. Perhaps you could return it for a refund? Please see the following thread :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523696

Save it for posterity and try the solution mentioned in it first before the tranny swap.

rgds,
Roberto

·
Red Natasha
155 Posts
I don't think rednatasha meant it the way you took it. He's a forum pal if you remember. I think it looked like he was walking down memory lane with thoughts about his e34 experience. He certainly regrets selling it off, but it was a phase that had come to an end.

Don't take it the wrong way bloody arro my friend.

Dude, I believe you've been very hasty in purchasing another transmission. Perhaps you could return it for a refund? Please see the following thread :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523696

Save it for posterity and try the solution mentioned in it first before the tranny swap.

rgds,
Roberto
i do indeed regret it...AAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

i want her back lol.

soon, very soon ill roll in with that v12 roberto was talking about lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.