BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

When you merge onto the highway, do you:

• hammer the accelerator?

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • pride yourself in matching speeds exactly on the onramp?

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • slam on the brakes, slotting neatly traffic after shedding lots of speed?

Votes: 3 6.5%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every single time I have an unobstructed ramp, I always seem to end up having to drop 20+MPH to slot into traffic. :p\

Edit: We're talking fun ramp here. :p

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
I don't merge...I cut across. :D

Seriously, it depends on the ramp, traffic, etc.

What I hate are flaming idiots that don't even think about merging until halway down the merge lane...and then come to a stop at the end of the ramp.

I hate the DC area (sigh)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Nothing drives me nuts more than people who have no idea how to safely match speeds when changing lanes, specifically those who slam on the brakes when doing so.

Hauling ass up a ramp is fine, and often fun, but merging is NOT the time to slow down.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kaz said:
Nothing drives me nuts more than people who have no idea how to safely match speeds when changing lanes, specifically those who slam on the brakes when doing so.

Hauling ass up a ramp is fine, and often fun, but merging is NOT the time to slow down.
OK, I worded that badly. :p I include the last few seconds of prep before actually moving over. I drop my speed, then move over. Slamming on the brakes after entering traffic is downright stupid.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clyde325xiT said:
I don't merge...I cut across. :D

Seriously, it depends on the ramp, traffic, etc.

What I hate are flaming idiots that don't even think about merging until halway down the merge lane...and then come to a stop at the end of the ramp.

I hate the DC area (sigh)
7/10 times, it's a Volvo. 5/10 times, it's a Volvo sedan. ****ing VOlvo drivers.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Charlotte is horrible for on-ramp merging! My daily commute consists of 3 major interstate merges and then onto another major thoroughfare. 10 times out of 10, people hit the friggin brakes somewhere on the on-ramp! Drives me nuts! :mad: Usually I will just cut left very early as long as it's clear or do something really intuitive like using the entire on-ramp to comfortably merge with the other traffic. :tsk: :confused:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

7/10 times, it's a Volvo. 5/10 times, it's a Volvo sedan. ****ing VOlvo drivers.
Yes, yes, yes. What is it with Volvo drivers?

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
When I am in the wife's Volvo, I race unsuspecting people on the onramp who think ALL VOLVO DRIVERS are slow. Pretty funny to see their faces when I floor the inline-5 and it screams to redline! I win about 90% of the time because I catch them off-guard.

True, even when I am in the Volvo, I curse more Volvo drivers than any others! Ha ha ha...

Drive a Volvo - you'll understand.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
clyde325xiT said:

Around here it's Minivans which are, of course, nearly always green. I'm ALWAYS getting stuck behind these F$%&*# pieces of [email protected] :mad:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I usually just mash the gas and try to get ahead of any approaching traffic. What scares me the most is when trying to merge in at 65-75 mph and someone driving a Volvo (haha Mike) is spending more time looking at me than the road in front of them, thinking I am crazy for trying to merge into highway traffic at highway speed. :rolleyes: It's the look of you should be entering traffic at the 40 mph limit mister. :confused:

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
I love the mooks who want to merge into traffic at the beginning of the onramp going whatever speed they are travelling at.

If I'm behind them, I will continue to the end of the onramp thereby passing them and easily merging due to the traffic clog they create.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
JPinTO said:
I love the mooks who want to merge into traffic at the beginning of the onramp going whatever speed they are travelling at.

If I'm behind them, I will continue to the end of the onramp thereby passing them and easily merging due to the traffic clog they create.
I got flipped by two 40+ women driving a jetta with two kids in the back for doing exactly that.

I shook my head. If two women are looking for trouble from an ugly guy in a bimmer instead of being worried about their kids ... I've got nothing to say to them. :dunno: :lmao:

But yeah, I often try to merge as soon as I can so that I can get fa-a-ar away from all the slow driving "people". Except that I get up to speed and them some, so I don't bother anyone already on the highway.

It all depends, though. I actually want to rent some ford or chevy and try driving it the way I drive my bimmer. I bet I'd understand why they drive those cars so slowly on ramps :)

What bugs me the most is people who can't keep constant speed. I usualy set me cruise control at around 115 and try my best to keep this speed. It bugs me when I start overtaking someone who was driving 110 just a minute ago. As soon as I get in the left lane to overtake he speeds up. Whats's up with that?:tsk:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
It is hard for cops to see you or check your speed on a ramp, so it makes a nice place to start passing!:angel: j/k

On ramps are sometimes the only turns I get all day, so I do make the most of them.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Match speeds all the way. Nothing is more satisfying than merging with no affect on the surrounding traffic. People who stop on entrance ramps PISS ME OFF :mad: :mad: :mad: to no end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts