BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and could really use some help. I purchased a 2001 325xi manual transmission off my buddy and for 15 years old, the car is in great condition. 155,000 miles on it and it runs smooth. I wanted to know when it should be time to replace the front and rear axles on the car. There are no leaks from anywhere on the car and the car isn't making any noises when it drives, except for when i shift from time to time. I'm trying to making the car last as much as possible so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and could really use some help. I purchased a 2001 325xi manual transmission off my buddy and for 15 years old, the car is in great condition. 155,000 miles on it and it runs smooth. I wanted to know when it should be time to replace the front and rear axles on the car. There are no leaks from anywhere on the car and the car isn't making any noises when it drives, except for when i shift from time to time. I'm trying to making the car last as much as possible so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
The axles should never need replacing, unless one of the CV joints dies - usually because a covering boot cracks and dries out the joint. The boots should be checked "often", perhaps every 15K; they often need replacing in the 75K-100K range. It's one of the more fussy DIY jobs, as you have to disassemble the CVJ to replace the boot. Usually only the front axle's boots go bad (more bending).

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
I think the important part is keeping seal boots in good shape and then the axles should last.
I'd focus on cooling system if it has more than 75k miles since refresh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts