BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i have 970 miles and the oil indicator shows 14500 everytime i start the car up

on my last car i got oil change after the first 1500 miles because of special oil the dealer use to break the cars in or something

so when should i get my first oil change? at 1500, at 3000, or at the indicated milege (sic)?

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
You'll get as many answers to this as there are people reading your question. With my new 330Ci delivered in September and then again in October (Euro delivery first) I changed the oil/filter at 1200 miles and will do so again at 7.5K and then 15K. From that point I'll do one change inbetween the BMW provided changes. Many think the 15K is fine and it may be. For my own piece of mind I'd prefer changes around 7.5K
If you want to ask some folks who live and breathe oil check out This Site

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm...did the dealership cover the oil change charge even though it was earlier than the scheduled milege?

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
micronstudent said:
hmmm...did the dealership cover the oil change charge even though it was earlier than the scheduled milege?
They will not cover oil changes that are outside the OBC indicated intervals unless there is a warrantee issue.

I wouldn't wait to 15K for the first change. Do it sooner to get any engine break-in byproducts out. I'm also not sure I really believe that it is safe to go 15K between changes, and it is pretty cheap insurance to get it changed more frequently anyway.

I had my oil/filter changed at 5K by an independent BMW shop. I did the change myself at 10K (oil extractor method). I'll probably switch to 7.5K intervals after the first dealer covered change. Looks like I'll actually hit th "15K" point early as I'm at 10.5K and the OBC is saying 3500 left to go (fokking stop-n-stop LA freeway rush hours :banghead: ).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
operknockity said:

They will not cover oil changes that are outside the OBC indicated intervals unless there is a warrantee issue.
They fooled me!!:banghead:

i was so happy when i found out the dealer would pay for oil changes...

but only on indicated intervals!!:mad:

no wonder the first schedule oil change is set to be at 15k...they only pay for oil changes to 36k miles!

·
Registered
738 Posts
micronstudent said:

i was so happy when i found out the dealer would pay for oil changes...

Is that what they told you to in order to sell you the car? Well, they were wrong. Your dealer will not pay for your oil changes. BMWNA pays for them. You can go to any dealer, anywhere in the US and have it done. It comes with all new BMWs sold in the US.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
DrBimmer said:
Well, they were wrong. Your dealer will not pay for your oil changes. BMWNA pays for them.
Well.... actually YOU paid for your oil changes already just by buying the car. Tell them that you don't need the included scheduled maintenance and see if they'll drop the price of the car by even a penny. Never gonna happen :banghead: :banghead:

You can go to any dealer, anywhere in the US and have it done. It comes with all new BMWs sold in the US.
True, but only the scheduled maintenance and anything where there is a warrantee issue are thus covered/paid. Anything else and you are on your own!

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
a non-scientific method

I've decided to take a 'non-scientific' :D approach to oil changes by using the 'half' method.

So, the first oil change (Lord willing) will be at 3750 (half of 7500) miles, then at 7500, then 15000, with oil changes every 3500-4000 miles thereafter. BMW filters and synthetic oil; I might even invest in some ramps and do it myself .:yikes: I can only hope that draining the oil pan on a BMW is a lot easier than on a Camry; for the life of me, I just cannot get purchase on the little nut on the Camry's oil pan! :mad:

I'm going to try and find a good BMW mechanic and establish a relationship, and do the maintenance religiously. Oh, 'Karl Bimmer' will be taken to the car doctor at Crevier at the appropriate intervals, but I believe in preventitive health measures as well!

I'm also planning (I cannot believe I'm saying this) to wash the car myself , after reading the Detailing forum and various other postings. I can't promise I'll do the Zaino, or claying thing, though! :tsk:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts