BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been without a BMW for a while and looking to get back into one. Of all the things that really irk me, the lack of a dipstick is high on the list, so my question is. When did BMW do away with the dipstick? Same year for all series? Any series still have one? Are they coming back?

Thanks

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,098 Posts
For the 3er they went away with the E9x and the new N52 engine. Not the same year for all bimmers. At least some of the V8s still have them; the M5 V10(?). It's unlikely they're coming back. BMW is not alone in this move (stupid as it is).

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
The 335d has one.

At the moment it's a toss up between the 335i and d for me... hmm... dipstick or manual transmission?

GAHHH!!! TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The 335d has one.

At the moment it's a toss up between the 335i and d for me... hmm... dipstick or manual transmission?

GAHHH!!! TOO MUCH PRESSURE!
I sincerely hope that the lack of a dipstick isn't really a factor in your decision. :p

newc6, tturedraider is right, dipsticks went the way of the dodo for the 2006 MY on the E9x 3-Series (the coupe/vert still had them in 2006 because that was still the E46). I'm not as familiar with the other Series but all the new N engines do not have them.

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts
Man, you are really depressing! :confused:
Just a joke, friend. :) Hopefully the recession is nearing its end, but there is a (small) connection between the legions of people that can "barely" afford the BMW, leasing to keep payments low / not building equity, zero savings rate, and the overall collapse we saw. Many of the attitudes on the board seem to be from the emblematic 40k millionaire set that BJ typified, and even worse, assume everybody is in that boat (refer to numerous "you couldn't afford a 335" / "bang for buck" or "its not just a car" threads, and the fraction of people that actually think they are a superior person because of their car).

I occasionally greet them with sarcasm. ;) Don't mean to offend. :angel:

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Just a joke, friend. :) Hopefully the recession is nearing its end, but there is a (small) connection between the legions of people that can "barely" afford the BMW, leasing to keep payments low / not building equity, zero savings rate, and the overall collapse we saw. Many of the attitudes on the board seem to be from the emblematic 40k millionaire set that BJ typified, and even worse, assume everybody is in that boat (refer to numerous "you couldn't afford a 335" / "bang for buck" or "its not just a car" threads, and the fraction of people that actually think they are a superior person because of their car).

I occasionally greet them with sarcasm. ;) Don't mean to offend. :angel:
I was never acquainted with this BJ character...

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The N52 and N54 motors do not have the dipstick, regardless of model. The N57 diesel motor does not.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The dipstick left with the spare tire :)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,098 Posts
It's called evolution. Dipsticks are untrustworthy too. I love not having one.
Really?! I've never had one fail me in more than 30 years of checking them. You love not having one? Did one cause you some kind of inconvenience or distress in the past? :confused:

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Really?! I've never had one fail me in more than 30 years of checking them. You love not having one? Did one cause you some kind of inconvenience or distress in the past? :confused:
Probably got singed when reaching for the dipstick after a long run in the desert....

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I don't know what I would do without one. Whats the reason for getting rid of it. Sounds retarded to do away with it. I mean really, how much space did it take up? I'm missing something here. I don't see any possible reason to do away with it. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
The N52 and N54 motors do not have the dipstick, regardless of model. The N57 diesel motor does not.
If you are saying the M57N2 motor that is in the 335d doesn't have a dipstick, you might want to actually check out a 335d. Hint: look toward the rear of the motor on the drivers side for a red plastic grip loop....

·
Registered
375 Posts
I suspect that they have gone away for the simple reason that the average American BMW owner can not be trusted to check the oil level once in a while. And with a 15k oil change interval that leaves the very real possibility of running the car out of oil. So we get an electronic system to warn when the car needs oil. Given that, there is little need for a traditional dipstick.

Or to put it another way, there are enough dipsticks out there who can not be bothered to lift the hood of their car once a month that the mechanical variety is going away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting responses to my question. I suspect that ultimately, the lack of a dipstick will not be the deciding factor on any purchase I make. But I guess I am old school and see no reason to do away with a failsafe indicator of the engines lifeblood. Unless these sensors are manufactured and tested to nuclear or FAA standards, with no backup I am having a hard time accepting they will work all the time, and be accurate.

As an aside, I drove an 06 325i yesterday. The dealership that took it on trade seems to have put non runflats on the car. They can't find the owners manual/packet, missing a key and a number of cosmetic defects and want $22K for a car that I figure may be worth $16. It has the premium package and auto but nothing else. I loved my E36's center console that turned slightly toward the driver. My old 2002 530 was a better car in my book than this one. So my search continues. I'll find my next bimmer and I suspect it will have a dipstick.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
If you are saying the M57N2 motor that is in the 335d doesn't have a dipstick, you might want to actually check out a 335d. Hint: look toward the rear of the motor on the drivers side for a red plastic grip loop....
Sorry, my typo. I meant that it does; it was one of the things I noticed when I test drove it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Interesting responses to my question. I suspect that ultimately, the lack of a dipstick will not be the deciding factor on any purchase I make. But I guess I am old school and see no reason to do away with a failsafe indicator of the engines lifeblood. Unless these sensors are manufactured and tested to nuclear or FAA standards, with no backup I am having a hard time accepting they will work all the time, and be accurate.

As an aside, I drove an 06 325i yesterday. The dealership that took it on trade seems to have put non runflats on the car. They can't find the owners manual/packet, missing a key and a number of cosmetic defects and want $22K for a car that I figure may be worth $16. It has the premium package and auto but nothing else. I loved my E36's center console that turned slightly toward the driver. My old 2002 530 was a better car in my book than this one. So my search continues. I'll find my next bimmer and I suspect it will have a dipstick.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm with you. I think it is idiotic not to have a dipstick. For that percentage that don't know/can't figure out how to use one, let them rely on the computer. For the many of us who have read horror stories on this board about inaccurate computer displays, overfilling crankcases, etc, give us a dipstick. IMHO, this is not as trivial as some make it out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.