BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
The 335d has one.

At the moment it's a toss up between the 335i and d for me... hmm... dipstick or manual transmission?

GAHHH!!! TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
Well, as much as I know it's progress, my E46 also has an oil level sensor that I've replaced twice in two years because it failed (a known weak point in the E46).

Now, I'm willing to believe that technology has progressed beyond the rather flaky oil level sensor in the E46, and that the new ones are infallible; but I work in technology and know full well how fallible it can be.

On the bright side, my perspective is that if BMW says the car KNOWS when the oil runs low, then theoretically I can hold BMW liable if my engine explodes because the car never told me the car was low on oil, or that it blew a seal because I overfilled it because the car kept telling me to add an unnecessary quart (more likely given failure modes of these sensors). I can make the argument that I was just doing what the car and therefore by extension BMW are telling me to do.

I figure... relax. The likelihood that it'll become an issue when I buy my new E90 next year is slim to nil... so I'll just chill.

Besides, there'll always be the dipstick behind the wheel...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.