BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,419 Posts
I don't have a problem with the sensor, but the lack of a dipstick irritates the hell out of me. Now, I have to get down under the car to do an oil change, instead of using a vac unit to pull it out from above.

Same deal if someone overfills your sump (it's happened to me during a service before). With a dipstick, you can get a measured amount out easily with a small pump. With the sensor, you need to do a pull-it-out-and-shove-it-in-quick deal with the sump plug.

Didn't stop me from getting the car, obviously, nor did the runflats. Would have preferred otherwise, but that's how it goes.

FWIW,
George

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,419 Posts
If the fancy way to analyse oil quality was actually used, wouldn't the countdown grow considerably after anyone does an interim oil change? In such a case, after I do an oil change by myself at 12000km, shouldn't the countdown re-zero itself to 25000km? Or maybe it should grow to 18000km. But no. It continues to decrease at about the same rate.
Same here. I did my first oil change just shy of 3000 miles. At that time, I was showing 15,000 miles to service. About a week later, it dropped to 14,000. Seems unlikely it was a change in some measurable quantity in the oil.

Now, it could go the other way. "Driving style" could used to determine when the next "normal" change is due, with a capacitance / resistance / who-knows-what measurement on the oil being used to determine if it has gone south for other reasons (thus triggering an earlier change).

George

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.