BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The oil sensor blows away dipping a metal rod down into the engine and seeing where the level is. The sensor constantly measures quantity AND quality.

For those of you that simply can't part with your old, old, really old technology, why don't you stick a stick in the gas tank to measure the gas level if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm pretty sure the sensor doesn't measure quality. If your talking about the oil change interval then that is usually handled by the onboard computer monitoring an number of parameters and many of them aren't oil related.

And if you are happy with no dipstick, fine, you don't have to have one. I prefer having one.

Thanks to those that have made USEFUL comments.
Before slamming posters who disagree with you, I suggest you do your homework - they do.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Folks, the oil change interval is simply a function of how much fuel is consumed. Each service interval is a specified # of litres of fuel; In the older E46 and X3, it's 2500 litres of fuel until the next oil change/Inspection.
I'm not sure if that's the way it used to be, but the new sensors actually will change its recommendation based on when your oil needs changing, not just on how much gas you've burned.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
+1, I don't really see the big deal about it. I mean, nobody cares about not having a splash tube that you can directly check the fuel level - you go by the float sensor. It is progress.

Really what people should be asking is how often does the electronic sensor give erroneous readings, and is it fault-tolerant / reporting errors. The answers are essentially never, and yes. Clinging to a dipstick is just kind of ridiculous IMO.
+2 ... My thoughts exactly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.