BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The N52 and N54 motors do not have the dipstick, regardless of model. The N57 diesel motor does not.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
If you are saying the M57N2 motor that is in the 335d doesn't have a dipstick, you might want to actually check out a 335d. Hint: look toward the rear of the motor on the drivers side for a red plastic grip loop....
Sorry, my typo. I meant that it does; it was one of the things I noticed when I test drove it.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Folks, the oil change interval is simply a function of how much fuel is consumed. Each service interval is a specified # of litres of fuel; In the older E46 and X3, it's 2500 litres of fuel until the next oil change/Inspection.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Think about it: The Condition Based Service takes into accounts such as your driving habits and conditions when determining the remaining life of the oil. Supposedly, if you drive frequent short trips in cold temperatures and/or drive more aggressively, the oil needs more frequent changing, right?

And yet at the same time, fuel consumption is also affected by the factors above. If you drive aggressively and do mostly urban driving, you're consuming fuel faster, thereby shortening the remaining interval. If you do longer trips under gentler throttle, you're consuming less fuel, thereby the countdown does not fall as quickly.

If the fancy way to analyse oil quality was actually used, wouldn't the countdown grow considerably after anyone does an interim oil change? In such a case, after I do an oil change by myself at 12000km, shouldn't the countdown re-zero itself to 25000km? Or maybe it should grow to 18000km. But no. It continues to decrease at about the same rate.

By the way, the car DOES measure the quantity of fuel consumed (in litres) since the last service. It knows!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.