BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The 335d has one.

At the moment it's a toss up between the 335i and d for me... hmm... dipstick or manual transmission?

GAHHH!!! TOO MUCH PRESSURE!
I sincerely hope that the lack of a dipstick isn't really a factor in your decision. :p

newc6, tturedraider is right, dipsticks went the way of the dodo for the 2006 MY on the E9x 3-Series (the coupe/vert still had them in 2006 because that was still the E46). I'm not as familiar with the other Series but all the new N engines do not have them.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
+1, I don't really see the big deal about it. I mean, nobody cares about not having a splash tube that you can directly check the fuel level - you go by the float sensor. It is progress.

Really what people should be asking is how often does the electronic sensor give erroneous readings, and is it fault-tolerant / reporting errors. The answers are essentially never, and yes. Clinging to a dipstick is just kind of ridiculous IMO.
+1

The "omg no dipstick" complaints are getting pretty old. This technology has now been on the car for going on 5 years now and I'm comfortable with its reliability.

As for the people overfilling their crankcase, only the half wits that don't read instructions would do this. The manual is very clear and the OBC/iDrive instruct you when to add exactly one quart. There shouldn't be any guesswork.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.