BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been without a BMW for a while and looking to get back into one. Of all the things that really irk me, the lack of a dipstick is high on the list, so my question is. When did BMW do away with the dipstick? Same year for all series? Any series still have one? Are they coming back?

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting responses to my question. I suspect that ultimately, the lack of a dipstick will not be the deciding factor on any purchase I make. But I guess I am old school and see no reason to do away with a failsafe indicator of the engines lifeblood. Unless these sensors are manufactured and tested to nuclear or FAA standards, with no backup I am having a hard time accepting they will work all the time, and be accurate.

As an aside, I drove an 06 325i yesterday. The dealership that took it on trade seems to have put non runflats on the car. They can't find the owners manual/packet, missing a key and a number of cosmetic defects and want $22K for a car that I figure may be worth $16. It has the premium package and auto but nothing else. I loved my E36's center console that turned slightly toward the driver. My old 2002 530 was a better car in my book than this one. So my search continues. I'll find my next bimmer and I suspect it will have a dipstick.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The oil sensor blows away dipping a metal rod down into the engine and seeing where the level is. The sensor constantly measures quantity AND quality.

For those of you that simply can't part with your old, old, really old technology, why don't you stick a stick in the gas tank to measure the gas level if it makes you feel better.
I'm pretty sure the sensor doesn't measure quality. If your talking about the oil change interval then that is usually handled by the onboard computer monitoring an number of parameters and many of them aren't oil related.

And if you are happy with no dipstick, fine, you don't have to have one. I prefer having one.

Thanks to those that have made USEFUL comments.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Before slamming posters who disagree with you, I suggest you do your homework - they do.
So you did, my hat is off to you. But if you want to talk about "slamming" posters, well I never directly slammed you, but you could infer same I guess if you are really sensitive.

So why don't we leave it at this;
The oil sensor does measure one parameter, conductivity, of the oil. This info is then feed into the bcm and the computer uses that parameter, and others, to signal when an oil change is needed.

Now we are back to my "old old really old technology" which I prefer and you don't see the need for.

Have a great day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.